Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal fusion nightmare

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Anyone had a spinal fusion over 35 years ageo and suffering?
advertisement

Comments

• I am wondering if I am alone, I had a spinal fusion over 35 years ago and have been suffering with chronic pain for the last 20 years. Can anyone relate to this?
  • So sorry your suffering. I cannot relate to year wise, but can relate to chronic pain all to well.

We are here to offer personal advice and experiences but are not medically trained to give out medical advice.

It is acceptance. Also now a days the right treatments.
    Have you been to a pain managment dr or at one now???
    There are so many advancements in medications to keep your pain at ease. It does not even have to be medications there are so many other alternative treatments.

Usually they say fusions do not even last that long. The new drs anyway. Mine said Im lucky to get 15yrs out of it or less. He was serious.
    Just like a knee/hip replacement etc. All falls into the same catagory.

I imagine the hardware in your back is not even being used anymore.
    Have you discussed options with your Dr?? There are so many.
    Like for example if your totally fused is it possible your hardware can be removed?? So many have had this done if its causing them pain.

Hang in there. You found the right group of people!!!
    Terri O:) O:)
  • 20 years is a very long time to be suffering. It sounds like Terri really asked you some good questions. She is right in that alot of advancements have been made in pain management. So even if they can not fix the problem you should be able to get adequate pain relief and not have to suffer too much pain. Please post when you can and we will be glad to offer whatever suggestions that we can.
  • :) hi! i had back surgery in 1982 and have been a chronic pain patient ever since. :''( i first injured my back when i was 15 so i have had chronic pain for almost 40 years. ~X( i can't tell you how i have lived this way this long but i guess it was always with hope. i don't have much hope anymore i am sorry to say. i live with acceptance as the condition of my life now. i am sorry you have suffered for so many years as well. i now limp and am facing a cane permamently very soon. i keep my heart full of love, my mind ever ready to learn and my spirit is humble and loving. :X good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • I have spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis L4/L5 L5/S1. Have had each of facet joint injections, rhizolysis and lumbar epidural - limited benefit, now awaiting surgery. Dead scared of that - decompression and stabilzation. Don't really want anyone playing around with my back and some of the posts about complications scare me also.
    Constant pain, numbness, tingling - you know it. Who can reassure?
    I was in shock when i spoke to dr, so can't remember how long I'll be in hosp and how long till I'm walking, driving etc. BTW - excuse my ignorance, but what's blt??
  • BLT is "no bending, lifting or twisting"

Welcome to Spine Health. Remember that many people come here looking for answers and information. After surgery, those with positive outcomes tend to move on because they don't feel they need the support. So the majority of people here have had a bad outcome or two. So there are many many people with positive outcomes, they are out living their lives again!

It's understandable that you were so shocked by what you were told that you forgot a lot. No worries the NS and his staff are used to it and I'm sure if you give them a call they will help you out. Of course you may find the answer here too.

Welcome,

"C"
  • Hey - thanks for the welcome and encouragement!
    New to this forum thing - of course it makes sense that you hear most about the bad stuff - just like the media!
    Hope I'll be able to report some positive stuff after Christmas.
    Jay
advertisement