Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 reherniation due to car accident

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All. Well I was 9 weeks post of from a microdiscectomy when a teenager slammed into the back of me going 50mph. I just got my MRI back last week and it showed a reherniation. I had a nerve block the other day, but I still have some big time back pain (not as much leg pain thankfully) after busy days or after holding something thats not even that heavy (such as my friend's 6 week old baby.) I have yet to have children and I would love to start a family soon (on the verge of 30!!!) but worry about the effects it would have on my back in it's current state. But my question is to you: If you reherniated your disc...did you have the surgery redone? Was it a good choice? What was the recovery time like for the second surgery? What is your back pain like now? I guess I'm kinda on a time fram because I have a lawyer and would be reimbursed for this surgery due to the car accident if I have it soon. I'm so torn. I dont know what to do but I'm just so angry that this happened. Oh and also...what is the chance that more scar tissue will occur and affect the sciatic nerve anyway? Thanks so much! Any suggestions/info would be great.
advertisement

Comments

• did you get a few different opinions from different docs? All of your concerns seem very valid but if you opt not to have surgery, what are your other options? It is always best to avoid surgery when and if possible because you do run the risk of complications such as scar tissue. But I would think that you will have to see what alternatives are available and what the success rate of any alternatives may be. Sorry I wasn't much help to you. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • that you rush into a decision based on that time line of having it pushed on you. My disk had ruptured and I had to have surgery for it because of the pain and numbing in my foot. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to heal. Each subsequent surgery becomes more difficult to recover from and painintheback is correct about the scar tissue. That became a big problem for me. So take your time and think twice or three times.
    julie
  • I am so sorry to hear about the accident and the reherniation! I haven't experienced a reherniation, but I wanted to comment on the time frame. Please double-check with your lawyer about that because you should be compensated whether you have the surgery now or not. There are prospective future damages and even if you have the surgery years from now, that is something your lawyer should take into consideration in the settlement or if you are suing the guy who hit you. His insurance company will have a set amount they usually pay for your type of injury. Let your lawyer know it may not be in your best interest to have the surgery right away. You may end up with money in case of surgery down the road.

I wish you all the best, and please take good care of you.

Hugs,
    Haylie
  • Meaning that I herniated discs in my back in July '07 from a fall at a grocery store. Liablibty caswe?? YOU BET! The only thing if you don't look into all your options, you really won't have any sort of "case" to begin with. They want to see you use all options before having surgery. I know, been there, done that! I had PT, injections, everything I was supposed to have before they went and did a micro D on November 15th '07. I was in way too much pain and nothing was helping. I then reherniated my discs coughing from an asthma attack 2 weeks post-op and was in agony!! I then went though the whole thing again, PT with ultrasound, massage, exercices etc. I had 2 discograms before the dr would even think about a fusion! (of course lots of more MRI's and x-rays too)
    He didn't want to "rush" me into surgery because I'm so young, or so he says" =)) , and he wanted to make sure all of our options had been covered. Because of the lawsuit too, he wanted to make sure they couldn't come back and say "well why didn't she...."
    So please, I guess what I'm getting to is that even though you have a "case" worth fighting for, it might be in your best interest to do all the other options first. I know it's time consuming and frustrating, trust me, but it will be worth it in the long run. Do things first the first time rather than wishing that you did!
    Good luck and I hope I helped you some what! You're still young and don't worry about the age! you can have kids! I wish that I could have more, but I'm 35 and with my back the way it is, I don't think I can have any more. Adoption is always good! i know, I'm adopted! :D :D

Hang in there!
    Kim >:D<
  • Thanks for all your input. I think I've decided to go ahead and live my life and try not to take too many pills. I'm ready to have children now and do not want to put my life on hold because some teenager couldn't pay attention when she was driving. I will talk to my attorney about holding off on the surgery and I have also been contemplating accupuncture. Anyone tried it? I have some neighbors that were raving about it recently. It's worth a shot. I'm just worried about going broke over all my doctors bills. Anyway, thanks again for all the input. I'm going to do everything I can before having the surgery redone. Now I just pray for patience and the ability to forgive. I've got to stop being so angry. :)Have a wonderful sunday.
advertisement