Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

week 42 xmas is coming

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
and i really want to be at my goal weight so ill have to step it up a gear,i managed to get 2 pounds off so hopefully if i get another 1 off next week that will be me back to what i was.I did my driving challange yesterday and got soaked through but it raised alot of money for cancer care so was worth getting wet for.

Now that im back to work there are days i work from 1pm to 5 pm and by the time i get in to the car to drive home i am so hungry i could eat anything,any ideas of what i can keep in the car to stop the pangs til dinner?

hope you all had a good weigh in
advertisement

Comments

• :) benji, it is Sunday so i decided to weigh in even if it is 2am!! i can't lose anymore by 7! =)) anyway, i stayed the same, 150 pounds. good for you for the 2 pounds. you will reach your goal in no time now! and the answer for in the car is fruit or nuts!! something crunchy will help the hunger pangs and you can eat and drive!! ok gang, let's hear from everyone else!! Jenny :)
  • what they say is the more you chew it keeps hunger at bay :) . The chemicals in the brain send signals to say you are full :D . So i would chop some carrots into sticks to nibble on, do some apple and orange segmants to, these will help with thirst :? . I have to disagree about the nuts, because they are fattening but they are full of protien :) . let me know how you get on ! :H

Angie x
  • You had to mention Christmas, eh? And let us not forget Turkey Day is before that. Even so, my issue at present is Halloween. I waited until I went shopping this week to buy the dreaded candy for the kids, and I tried to buy something I didn't necessarily like, but I couldn't pass up the Reese's PB cups. Even so I have fought the urge to binge on them.

Then last night I went to a venue with some friends. It was decided by all to eat in the city before the main event and I kept saying I was just going to get an appetizer, and I would have had the place the rest of the guys decided on served something other than beer and pizza. No beer for me but I had to eat.

Considering all this I thought for sure I would have made a few steps backwards, but I actually lost 1 lb weighing in at 235 lbs. I'm thinking maybe the scale is broke :?
  • :) McBack, take it and run, don't look back!! that pound means you lost last week!! congrats and stay in gear for a new week. <:P i am sure you still have some Reesess around ( one of my favorites) so don't binge now!!! i love Halloween more than any of the holidays. :X all the kids and costumes and decorations. you can even act like a kid if you feel like it. i dress up my dog! my husband and i dress up to give out candy. i put candles all over the house and have a spooky display in the big livingroom window. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> anyway, no family here, so the other holidays just aren't the same for us!! have a spooky week!! Jenny :)
  • is a much bigger thing in the usa than here although kids do go trick or treating.
    i think il keep a few brazil nuts in the car there so good for you, and if i only eat a couple the goodness in them will out do the cals
  • I'm convinced my body is turning 97 :??

I have decided I am not going to step on the scale.

I did go out last night, I put on a pair of high heels for the first time in ages and I did okay! I also wore a somewhat fitted dress for the first time that I got last June, I needed to lose some weight for it and it looked great, didn't even need the Spanx (uber-spandex-suck-you-in-undergarment) but I'm on the vicodin and lets just say my abdomen isn't exactly flat... will leave it at that.

(Missed last week as well, long story, we'll see where I'm at next Sunday.)

Hope everyone had a good week, avoiding the Halloween candy is going to be a challenge!!
  • :) aimless, i mentioned just last week about how it is possible, if not even better, to judge weight loss without the scale. you are great proof it works. =D> so i want to give you a big thumbs up this week! regardless of the scale, your self esteem is great and you look fantastic on top of that. enjoy the new week with your new body! <:P treat yourself to a piece or two of candy and no more!! not only is it full of empty calories but it doesn't help that other little problem you spoke of!! =)) have a Happy Halloween! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> Jenny :)
  • FIRST THE GOOD NEWS: BUTTERBEANS IS FEELING MUCH BETTER. WE EVEN DECIDED TO GO ON OUR VACATION A DAY AFTER WE WERE ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED TO GO. WE TAKE HER BACK TO THE VET TOMORROW BUT I AM HOPEFUL. SHE'S EATING (THE HAMBURGER AND RICE I PREPARE), SHE LOOKS ALERT AND SEEMS HER OLD PERKY SELF. I, ON THE OTHER HAND, HAVE GAINED AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF WEIGHT. I WAS ON VACATION AND IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY, BUT I DIDN'T CAVE IN. I STILL WASN'T FEELING WELL FROM THE COLD AND DIDN'T HAVE MUCH OF AN APPETITE BUT I GAINED 7.8 POUNDS ON MY DIET IN ONE WEEK. I JUST DON'T GET IT. I AM SO DISCOURAGED. I EVEN DRAGGED MY TIRED, ACHING BODY THROUGH THE WOODS AND I GAINED NOT JUST A POUND OR TWO BUT 7.8 POUNDS. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN. IT MAKES NO SENSE. EXCEPT, PERHAPS, THAT I WAS SO WORN OUT FROM THE COLD THAT I SLEPT A LOT AND BURNED FEWER CALORIES. MY HIKES THROUGH THE WOODS CAUSED MY PAIN TO FLARE AND I DIDN'T SLEEP WELL. THIS IS THE POINT I USUALLY GIVE UP. 7.8 POUNDS! HOW COULD I GAIN 7.8 POUNDS IN ONE WEEK WHILE DIETING AND EXERCISING? FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE LOSING, DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVISE?
  • I appreciate your encouragement. Last time I checked, the scale had not moved.

No Halloween candy. My SO has made birthday cupcakes for me and that's it for indulgence! ;)) (I hope!)
  • First - belated happy birthday (October babies are the best, yes?? :D )

Must acknowledge, alot of stress in your industry these days, and sounds like you have stress with your furry family member too. Stress can affect hormones and do strange things to your body, who knows how that may be affecting your diet. I recall going on a vacation a few years back after a stressful few weeks at work, my body finally got to relax and my immune system just collapsed, got a terrible cold. So stress could be a factor.

I have plateaued for several weeks now as aerobic exercise of any serious nature is almost impossible; I was losing previously because I was really cutting my portions. If I do schedule the ALIF I need to lose that last 10 lbs and its going to be self-control off the charts and small portions while maintaining good nutrition, no dessert (1-2 dried strawberries or 2 teaspoons ben & jerrys if I must have a bit of sugar), no snacks. I don't do well with diet foods or aspartame etc so I still eat "the real deal" but it takes willpower. Just my $.02, its what happens to work for me.

--Melissa
  • RIGHT BACK AT YA. SUSAN
  • :) stockbroker, maybe its like a new pair of shoes, break the scale in a bit and you will be good to go! =)) seriously 7 pounds is alot for one week! you must feel very discouraged! ~X( just remember than anything worth having, some weight off, is going to take patience and energy. :T you have the right heart and the right frame of mind so don't even get discouraged yet!! that is over now and you have a new week to succeed!! come on with the rest of us as we struggle with you to improve our eating skills and lose a few pounds! =D> Jenny :)
  • Maybe water weight? I have a horrible time with swelling and retaining fluids. Maybe this week you will see at least half of that gone. I also have gained massive weight. A total of 7.5 lbs in the last 2 months and 3.5 of it was gained in the last 3 weeks! So, you are not alone. Don't get discouraged just try and get right back on it.
    Happy birthday aimless. Boy what I wouldn't give to be able to wear anything form fitting!
    The rest of you did really well as usual and hopefully Stockbroker and I will be posting better results next week.
    Elaine, I agree with the others. Nuts have always helped me stave off my appetite for awhile.
    Good luck to all.
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,753
    edited 06/17/2016 - 1:39 PM
    Maybe the weight gain is muscle and it weighs more. I'm staying at 10 lost pounds as of 2 months ago. 40 more to go. See you next week.. never give up. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) charry, i put that site on my favorites. =D> i am going to study the spirituality part of the site. the whole site really has alot of great things to say. i believe alot in positive evergy as well. <:P it is so nice to find like minded people in the forum. have a nice week! Jenny :)
  • stockbroker the weight loss could well show up next week it must be fluid, i can t see how you could put on 7 pounds in 1 week so hang in there
  • I'M ALSO FINDING THE WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS SYSTEM TO BE VERY TEDIOUS AND TIME CONSUMING. THERE ISN'T ANY KIND OF A COUNSELOR TO EXPLAIN HOW I COULD LOSE 7 PLUS POUNDS IN ONE WEEK. THE WATER RETENTION THING HAS CROSSED MY MIND--ESPECIALLY AS I WAS DOING SO MUCH HIKING. GRANTED, I DIDN'T BRING MY COMPUTER SO THESE LOATHESOME POINTS CALCULATIONS WERE NOT COMPUTABLE. STILL, I NEVER ATE MORE THAN 1/2 OF MY MEAT; NONE OF MY STARCH AND LOTS OF SALAD. I DID CELEBRATE MY B-DAY WITH A PIECE OF PIE BUT C'MON. I ACTUALLY THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE LOST A POUND OR TWO. WEIGHT WATCHERS SUGGESTED I EXERCISE MORE. OKAY. I'M GOING TO TRY TO PUT THIS BEHIND ME AND ASSUME ITS WATER AND MOVE ON. GIVING UP THE WHINE..................SUSAN
  • if its muscle or water - how are your clothes fitting?
  • And I should add when I say the dress was somewhat fitted, it was still a size up from my goal. So close! Certainly helps my confidence though, and I need that. :)))
  • Sometimes when I've been really good about my diet but my weight goes up anyway, if I continue being good I have a big loss the next week. I can't explain how that happens, but it does.

Well this week I have gained a pound and I should have gained more the way I ate. Ugh. Back to it!

Teri
  • rancholmosta, well you sound like you know where you went wrong. :? the week has started and the gain is behind you now. good luck this week! Jenny :)
  • not accomplishing anything. I thought being accountable would be helpful to me, but I guess not! But I can't say I stayed on eating plan. I'm going to give the South Beach a try. Wish me luck!
  • :) netnomad, you are accountable, to yourself!!! and look, you did not put on any weight! i think that is something to be proud of!! =D> be patient and try this and that till you find a food plan that works for you. :T it may take several weeks!! it may be part of this one and part of that one. what did you think of Sparkpeople? good luck this week and know we are here to support you, not be disappointed in you! :X Jenny :)
  • I never had any luck at all with weight watchers and I actually went to meetings. I agree, keeping up with the points is as bad as counting calories. Maybe you might want to try another plan if this does not work for you soon. Good luck.
  • well, it is the middle of the week! candy is laying around some of our houses i am sure. i know i have candy kisses and dark chocolate squares sitting in my dining room. =D> i have a sweet tooth just like most of us. so how have i dealt with this? i tied the bags up so i couldn't get into them. we all know that wasn't true! i put them away so it was a hassle to get to them. it only hurt for a few minutes! and then i said i would just have one and that would be enough for me. after the third square i gave them to my husband! well, i am still battling the bags and come up with a new way to keep them away from myself daily. i guess i figure Friday will be here soon enough and then i won't have to worry about sweet chocolate kisses any more!! Have a Happy Halloween! Jenny :)
  • Candy everywhere! I'm glad I am taking the next couple of days off :)))
  • in the uk,children want money when trick or treating,hope u all have a good hollaween
  • Ok guys... I've skipped over the weight loss forum long enough! On Sunday, I will weigh in and join in on your fun! I can't let you guys lose all of that weight by yourself!! Keep up the good work and I'll see you all at the next weigh in!! ">image

• Luckily we live in the boonies and don't get any trick or treaters so don't have to buy all that candy. But it is all over the office and so hard to ignore. We have a person here who feels they MUST put out some sort of treat every day. I'd like to strangle her, but she's my boss. Sigh.

Teri
  • :) trater, what a nice treat here at Halloween time. we all look forward to seeing you on Sunday. pop in anytime you feel like it though! Jenny :)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.