Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Toilet

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 970
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Maintenance
I dont know how to approach this subject, but we all have to use it :SS .
When i use the toilet it is so difficult to clean myself :S .
Who else is brave enough to admit they have the same problem ? :?
I find it so exhausting I) .
Its the same when i take a shower or a bath, thats a task in its self :''( .
To wash my hair, is so painful has i have problems with my right arm :''( Just to have personal hygeine of yourself, is so tiring I) .
I wish i could just have one pain free day. O:)

Angie x
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! there are special "handles" at your local pharmacy or nursing supply store which will help you reach and clean yourself better. =D> many people need them after surgery. check one out and see how that helps you. you might try a "shower" chair to help there. you can sit and relax and not worry about falling or holding yourself up. <:P hope this helps you out a little. Jenny :)
  • I wish you had one painfree day as well as more. I go under to clean, and cover the urethrea with paper so not to contaminate. I hope that wasn't too graphic but it's a part of life. #:S Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Angie,

I had the same problem. My husband was a help. He taped up my back so I could shower.

A few things I found really helpful.

Hand held shower head. I could put that water wherever I wanted it :< I felt a lot cleaner.

A puff sponge on a long handle. I would water down some liquid soap so that it was easier and faster to rinse off.

I have really thick kinda long hair. I would tip my head forward use the hand held shower head, use watered down shampoo, leave in conditioner and I would fell a thousand times better.

For those in between days at the drug store I found some heavy bath wipes that works really good.

Shower chair is really great.

Also is there someone that can be with you (in the house) just in case.

Hope this helps. I went 7 days before I could get a "real" shower cleaning. The hair was the worse, I thought I should go the local oil changing shop and have my oil changed:)

Happy shower <:P =D>

Lili
  • Actually sells those tissue holders at a very reasonable price. They really do make it easier to wipe.
    Lili- Have you ever tried the no rinse shampoo? It really does work especially for the oil in hair. You can also use baby powder, rub through hair and comb out. Great at getting rid of the oil when you can't wash your hair.
  • :D hi! there are "shampoos" you can use on dry hair and get your hair feeling really clean. no water needed. this is great if you are bedridden or can't maneuver the shower. just a thought! Jenny :D
  • Hiya , I think you chose those words, delightfully :@)

Angie x
  • Hiya lili, Baby wipes are very good. I o have a bath board so i can sit in the bath without getting right in and have a shower aswell. Thankyou for your reply.

Angie x
  • To be perfectly honest, its more i can bend or twist to clean myself. Like today i woke up in awful pain, finally got out of bed, went to the toilet, passed water then when us ladies wipe thats a big problem for me.The pain prevents me from doing normal everyday life tasks, and its so frustrating!!!!!

Angie x
  • hi! this sounds so uncomfortable and frustrating. us ladies use the bathroom all day long and i am so sorry it is proving so painful for you. ~X( i wish i could help!! be sure and get your rest and try and do something that makes you happy today, even if it is just petting your dog or watching an old movie. :D i hope you get some assistance with this soon. sorry you are feeling so bad!! Jenny :)
  • Thinking of you today and wishing you well.

• Hiya Robin , Thankyou for thinking of me >:D< Today was a waste of time, i havnt stopped crying. Will message you soon!

Angie x
  • I have the answer, about the toilet situation, for those living in england, who can get occupational theropy to visit. They came and saw me , they have put hand rails on the stairs, in the loo, a step in the bathroom so i can get my leg over the bath, a bath seat, an i will be having a new toilet. Now the toilet is like a beday(dont know how to spell it) you use the toilet,then you press a button it washes , then press another button to dry.

Angie xx
  • How cool is all of that? To tell you the truth,I'd love a toilet like that-even though I don't NEED one,still-it would be nice to have and I would feel pampered (lol-get it-pampered...:D

I haven't seen you on in awhile.Maybe I missed your posts..but-how are you doing?
  • That's great you're feeling better. How cool is that getting the OT's to come in and help. I'm so happy for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My son-in-law the plumber came down & put a handicap toilet in for me. I ordered a Bidet on line & he put that on my new toilet. It was the best $200.00 I spent for toilet & bidet before my surgery. It works great & what I save on TP I figure it should pay for itself in about 3 yrs. LOL
  • only $200.00 for bidet attatchment?--I will deffinately have to look into this if/when I wver get any money as I could really use it for myself, and also have cat(s) with serious TP fetish! -luv the cat, but every time i forget to hide the TP... <:P ...and its all ova... =)) ...oh well...
    someday, a bidet.....
  • No the toilet was $79.00 & the bidet was $129.00
    Here is were I ordered the Bidet. http://www.sanicare.com/Biffy-Bidet-White-s/30.htm
  • hi all, its so much cheeper in america, the OT has to apply for a grant then permission to put these in to peoples houses xx

Angie xx
  • Just to add , i did not think i could get anything like this or help, i thoughtyou had to be virtually bedriden. But one day i got intouch with carers support, and if it was not for them i would still be struggling finacially and physically. So thanx to them , i am relieved to say, things do seem so bad as they were. The adaptation they made to my bed is just great, its now an electric bed, so i dont have to struggle getting in and out of bed. I hope anyone living in england will also look into this so they can also get the help that they need xx

Angie xx
advertisement