Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My pain is not stopping !

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
hello everyone,
i did not know where to post this for sure. but i had my rotary cuff surgery aug. 21st. i have been in pain forever it seems like. the shoulder is barely moving, i cannot lift my arm up. P.t. was only started at 8 wks. , everyone says , including my physical therapist that i waited to long to start it, now i am dealing with excrutiating pain. since i have started p.t. they have seen some improvement from the first day i started, but i am at risk for frozen shoulder now. my dr. is to blame for having me in my sling way too long. but it is not only my shoulder that is painful. it is my neck, and lower back also. :SS my NS is ready to do acdf, but i have to wait for my OS to release me from my shoulder. my Physical therapist says i am in for a long road. i feel i am suffering from neck, waiting on my shoulder to heal, or vise versa. the pain never ends. i am only taking darvocets right now. i suffer with weakness in arms, and legs. shooting pains through my left foot, sort of like electrical shocks! they come out of nowwhere. i have severe pain in my left index finger and left thumb, that just stays there for a little bit then goes away. i get that more frequently. i also get sharp shooting pains in the mid part of my spine that takes my breath away. i have had previous lumbar surgery 20 yrs. ago. i remember the pain then being unbearable, after they did a mylogram, did emergency surgery the next day. i am afraid by waiting week after week that it will get to that point again. i also suffered pemanent nerve damage to my lower calf due to waiting. :W But i feel that i am stuck waiting on my shoulder to recover which seems like forever. i should be farther along than i am right now, since my surgery was over 2 mths. ago, do you agree?? :T i am a chronic pain sufferer, with burning pain in my upper back, have been diagnosed with i believe c5,c6 , and also something with my c3,c4. ddd, spondylosis, osteopytes. the p.t. is not helping with my cervical at all. does anyone else have this, and can someone comment i would appreciate it. alway leo ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• May be the one to give you info. I have not had shoulder surgery so I really can not comment on that. I am very sorry for all that you are dealing with. Hopefully paulgla will come along and comment but if he does not see this post, you can send him a PM. Have you had a couple more opinions?
  • It sounds like you may need an MRI if you haven't had one yet. It's not unusual to have different things going on in all levels. I have DDD in the cervical, thoracic,and lumbar. Not to mention a long list of problems in the lower back and am recovering from my 2nd surgery (fusion/laminectomy). Why can't the OS work along with the NS? How much longer is the PT? When I had PT, it made me worse, and I was dismissed early.
    I'm no doctor and I don't know much about your shoulder situation. I'm sorry you are suffering all these things at once. Have they given you anything for pain?
  • Sorry you're having so much pain. I had a partial suluxation shoulder repaired through arthroscopic surgery about 1995. At first I had 2 cortisone injections and physio but surgery helped. I'm sorry I can't remember how long after I felt better but seemed like a few months. Since that year I've had no more problems. I had bursitis and the anti inflammatories helped. What did your os say after 2 months and not healing? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Give it time before you operate make sure its the last resort. The shoulder situation will take a while, no two people are alike, Some take longer then others. I hate to say it, 2 months is not a lot of time, I bet you that arm of your was not functioanl for a while now , its going to take time to rebuild it, but it will happen. So basically you have no choice, occupy yourself, try ice, and or heat therapy, hot showers and listning to Bolero, Meatlof or Madona oop! Thats what works for me, keep smiling
    1990 major shoulder injury, took a long time to heal today its the one thing that still works.:)
  • I had a shoulder acromioplasty, where they shave bone off the collar bone, and routered out the joint to make it functional. At 1 month I had major adhesions, and had to be anesthitized again, the shoulder jerked to break them up. Very unpleasant. Sling or no sling, sometimes things like that just happen. Even with PT, I ended up being off work for a full year, and had to be re-trained, as I could not go back to my old job, which involved above shoulder height work. Bummer. That was in 1992. To this day I still have problems with my shoulder and neck, partially from this injury/surgery. At 2 months you probably haven't healed as much as you will. It does take time. And hurting other places always seems to settle where you had prior injurys. Good luck. Everyone always tells me patience is a virtue, but personally I think it is highy overrated! :))( Good luck, hang in there.

Maggie
  • I know it can take a while for recovery from rotary cuff. i guess i am comparing myself to other people i have talked to, one lady i just talked to at P.T. in aqua therapy pool which is what i am still in. just started back , she had one shoulder done in spring, and started p.t. 2 wks. after. now they think she has it in other shoulder, and is starting physical therapy again. i love the aqua therapy , but they are wanting to start to wean me off of that into land therapy now. i showed someone the other day how far i can lift my arm, and he said i reminded him of john mcCain ,, you know how he cannot reach his arms up fully. i did not like the idea of going thru life like that! i asked my p.t. if i have frozen shoulder, and she said they cannot lift my arm up high enough to find out, since it is all in the ball joints of shoulder. i guess time will tell. to answer your question MEYDEY, i have had MRI on shoulder and cervical neck only in May 2008. my NS, and OS know each other but one is waiting on the other to be done with me before they procede. my NS said at last appt. , in sept. he will perform acdf. i appreciate all the responses always LEO :W
  • Sorry your still in pain. But it does happen.
    My brother in law it took about 10 wks to feel better.
    He is a nurse and had to wait to go back to work, and then ended up with a desk job.
    That was last yr.
    Now my aunt her story was different and she felt better after about 5 wks.
    So depends on the person as you know and of course you have other issues going on so of course its going to still hurt.
    Remember Remember Remember if your darvocets are not doing anything ask for the next step up. You should not have to suffer being uncomfortable at all.

Hang in there you can do this!!!!
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I had a rotator cuff repair and acrominoplasty last February, fortunetely I was able to start PT within a week. This all depends on what extend your repair is. A simple partial thickness tear may only require a week of immobilization, while a complete tear will require 8 weeks or more of immobilization. Not to be to graphic but when a repair is very complex to the underlayers, sometimes all of the tendons need to be pulled off of the bone (so they can get to the problem) and then reattached to the bone with one things or another. If you start to soon you can rip the repair right out.

Does PT have you doing pendulums and wall climbs at home? PT for the shoulder after surgery is not fun at all. There were days the first 2 weeks after surgery my BP would go up and I would get dizzy, hot and nauseated from the pain just from the therapist passively moving my arm.

I had adhesions/scar tissue about 4 weeks afterwards. The doctor accidently, released this in the office while he was doing some manual muscle testing (he pushed down while I was trying to push up). We heard a loud tear and a pop, so I was off to the hospital for another arthrogram, but all was OK.

I can just say it takes time. It was a good 3 months after I started therapy that I was feeling OK with over the head things. Even with my simple repair I dont have full range of motion either.

Good luck with your recovery and your upcoming surgery!
    Shell
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.