Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Creepy Crawlies

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
4 days out and I think the muscle and skin are starting to heal around the incision. It itches like crazy and is kinda numb. Feels like things creepin and crawlin around under the collar. BLAHHHHHHHHHH ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• good! That means that the skin is finally pulling together and forming from the incision. The itchyness is good news, but annoying at the same time. Put lotion AROUND the incision, but not on it for fear of infection. The itchyness could also be your skin healing from the tape they used. My dr said its ok to use Benadryl if it got relly annoying, so you might want to ask about that.
    The numbness is also due to the nerves being cut and damaged. You might not fully get that feeling away either. I know I've had plenty of surgeries and I still have numbness near my incisions. I will get better over time though.

Hope I helped!

Kim
  • Yes itchy creepy crawly feeling is a good thing. Not for you but the incision.
    I found neosporian to work the best. It helped: pain, itching and scarring. I put it on everyday and put a dry bandage on it so it did not get all over my collar. You would not even know I had neck surgery If I did not tell you. LOL
    Cocco butter and Vit E oil are also great..

Hang in there and good luck >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I'm 6 days out of ACDF and my neck itches like crazy also! 8} But, everyone is right, that means it's healing and that's a great thing.

I'm also finding that my collar makes my neck so hot that I can't seem to cool myself down. I'll take off the collar and it's wet inside because I've been perspiring so much and I have to leave it off to let it dry. :W

I think the surgery was great and I have a ton of relief, but this collar thing is sure making me cranky! ~X(

Any my husband keeps saying "Only 24 more days..." /:)

• Cath you are a day ahead of me with pretty much the same surgery...mine was c4-5 + c5-c6....I know what you mean about the collar. It's making my ears hot even. I feel silly complaining about something so minor though(not that it stops me :) )
  • Well, good to know that we're going through the same thing within the same time frame. The darned collar seems to make everything hot, and I'm going to keep complaining so my husband will keep bringing me ice cream. :D

Take care of yourself and keep us updated on your progress. :H
  • LOL Cath....I hear ya on the icecream. I've never had so many people anxious to go get me a Frosty before. I finally got one yesterday. I have asthma so the dairy makes things a little thicker and harder to swallow...so had to wait a few days for that. I have bad fall allergies to that I have been trying like crazy to keep under control...but they finally got the better of me last night. I sneezed and thought the world was coming to an end....then I LMAO because the sneezes sounded like some crazy cartoon duck call. It was an interesting night to say the least.
advertisement