Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artifical disc Prodisc-c

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello,

If anybody has had a Cervical ADR with the Prodisc-C, I would love to Here about your experience and if you would or would not recommend this procedure, I am being considered for a Multi-level ADR with the Prodisc-C. I would also like to here from anybody who had this option, but choose not to have an ADR and went with the Gold standard ACDF.

Thank you for responding.
advertisement

Comments

• apbart- I have not had any type of surgery yet. I have one large bulge and two minimal bulges from c5-c6, c6-c7, c7-t1. I have done a lot of research and I would definetly go for the ADR over the fusion anyday. Now on what type, I have read good things about prestige and prodisc.

You said you are a canidate for multi level disc. Are you in the US? If so are you going to be in a trial/research? Is your insurance paying for this? What areas are you having problems with?

Clarissa
  • I have had both fusion and just recently an ADR. My fusion surgery, years ago, went fine but because of the fusion, it put a lot of stress on the other discs causing them to herniate. I had the fusion done at multiple levels in the middle of the neck. I had only a little lost of motion. This past surgery I had an ADR put in put it was from another manufacturer. So far so good but it has been only 5 weeks. The ADR's are to new to know what the road will bring us. If you're looking at the differences, both types of surgeries should bring you relief from pain but the recovery time is significantly different. With fusion I was laid up for 2 -3 months and the ADR I was back to work in a week doing light duty. Everyone's pain levels and recovery time will vary. As Paul mentioned, in the States the have only approved single levels for the cervical region, lumbar is different. I will end this by telling you that I am happy with my decision to go with the ADR.

Rob
  • No experience with ADR. My neck is basiclly shot, so my NS decided to go with a posterior foraminotomy and ectomy, in essence to make the opening wider and hopefully make more room for nerve roots. Thus far, still have weakness, numbness, etc. Hopefully, over time, this will improve.

I wanted the ADR, but only eligible in the US for one level, and at my worst level I was not a candidate (apparently not enough space to fit it in).
  • I want a 2 level ADR as opposed to the ACDF. I read an article that our FDA only approved one level due to not knowing the long term effects! I think thats ridiculous, they KNOW what the long term effects of fusion are, usually more surgery when the disc above and below fail due to the extra pressure. I am willing to be a test subject... give me 2 level ADR and send me a questionaire once a year, its my neck I think I should be able to do what I want with it! OK thats frustration talking but for now no fusion for me until it becomes the option of last resort. For now I will wait and hope that the FDA wakes up and approves ADR for 2 levels. Good luck to you and all of us dealing with these darned disc problems!
  • HELLO, I'M A 41 YEAR OLD WHO JUST HAD A C4-C5 ADR ON 10/13. THAT PUTS ME 2 WEEKS OUT. IT HAS BEEN A GREAT BLESSING. NO MORE PAIN AND NUMBNESS!! MY HERNIATION WAS A RESULT OF AN INJURY AND IT TOOK 3 MONTHS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY AND PAIN MANAGEMENT BEFORE MY INSURANCE WOULD APPROVE MY SURGERY. THE NS I WAS SEEING WANTED TO DO A FUSION BUT WITH THE HELP OF MY HUMAN RESOURCES REP.(I'M A CATH-LAB NURSE) THEY FOUND ME A SURGEON AT ONE OF OUR SISTER HOSPITALS, THAT DOES THE SYNTHESIS PRO-DISC C ADR'S. YOU MIGHT WANT TO RESEARCH THEIR WEBSITE. GOOD LUCK WITH THE SEARCH. JEFF
  • I was getting ready for an ADR because my 2nd opinion OS said I was an "ideal candidate." But, after my 3rd opinion doc saw my MRI and noted that my C-spine was as straight as a board (as is often the case with us "neckkies,") he said that he would NOT recommend an ADR. So, back to the fusion. I am bummed. So I ask you, apbart, how is the curvature of your neck? The fusion can correct the curvature apparently, but the ADR cannot. If there is no curve in the neck, the chance of other areas wearing out is high.
    The best of luck for you ...
  • I had an ADR in April 2006. If I could wind back time and change my decision I would. I awoke from the surgery with neck and head pain that has only worsened over time. I am now 34 and on 8 prescriptions a day and cannot live a normal life through the pain. I am far worse than I was prior to the surgery. I have recently learned that I am doing better than some of the others at my FDA test site and that all of us there are living in severe pain. My point is to do your research before jumping into a trial that sounds amazing because it is new technology.
    S
  • I have to say this was the best choice of my life. I have been suffering for 2 yr. I was in an auto accident and ended up with 7 ruptures!! 4 cervical 2 thoracic and 1 lumbar. My NS told me about the prodisc c and explained that it’s a gray area being new and with my problem I could not have a 4 level fusion – I would not have any range of motion. So I decided what if I replaced 2 levels and then fuse the rest. He thought about it and you know there is never guarantee with anything.
    I had the surgery in Aug with C 3,4 ADR C 5,6 and a fusion C 6,7. If I could have done the ADR on all 4 I would have. The fusion is hard to deal with and the ADR is Awesome!! I am getting ready to have him replace the lover lumbar soon.
    You need to find a great NS who will discuss all your options and things will work out.
    Good luck to you.
    There is a web sight you can look at and it explains everything that they will do.
  • K2j3

Where do you live? If in the US where you in a trial?
    Clarissa
  • I had the ADR Prodisc C installed 6 weeks ago and I am in worst constant pain than I was before the surgery. I have problems with C3,4,5,6,7 and had the Prodisc C placed at the C5/6 level. The doc seems surprize I'm not doing well, however, I have learned several problems have been identified during the FDA trials. He never shared this info with me. No collar brace, no therapy & no post op advise. This device hasn't been on the market long, I should of known the doc would not have much experience placing them at the C-spine level. I am still on Hydrocone & musle relaxers daily. I wouldnt recommend this doc or the device to others.
  • DANN: I am so very sorry about your failed ADR and continued pain and sdelbaggio also. I am contemplating the ADR, so please tell me what the bad news is! In other words, what is the FDA saying that the problems are? Why are you still in constant pain? Was the surgeon at error or the device? What happens with you folks now? Can an ADR be "undone" and replaced with another surgical procedure? If so, how? Where do you go from here? If I don't get an ADR I am stuck with a triple level fusion. It will take months of rehab. I want to get back to work and normal life as soon as possible, and it sounds as if ADR is the way to go. But I want to know all the facts. I was told NOTHING today from the OS that would indicate he was even concerned about the procedure. He only said that the ADR surgery was in "the adolescent stage."
    Please let me know your thoughts.
  • I live in Jacksonville, FL. They have been using the Prodis-C in Europe for years. My NS Keeps up on all the new changing things. What I like most about this is no matter what maybe 10 to 15 years from now I am gonna develope some type of trouble. And with this disc they can remove it!!! And put a newer developed one. That's the worst scenero of course. I am so excited that I don't have any head pain. I have suffered for 2 years and nothing! Meds, injections, burn, chrio, everything. And the moment I woke up there was a little pain. After I went home- I haven't had any head pain.So now I am hoping to have the same results with the lower lumbar.
  • If it helps..... My NS gave me a hard collar to wear in the car, and then when I was at home I wore a soft colar. By the time my 6 wks were up the collars were gone. I asked him about the collars and since I had 2 ADR's put in and a fusion- He did'nt want to stimulate bone growth where the ADR's were placed. That makes sense to me.
    I have had more trouble with the fusion with muscle spasms my surgery was Aug. 29 and I am now in PT which is helping my Rom.
    You really have to have a good relationship with your Dr. And mine was very honest explaining that this is a very gray area in the Medical field. But they have been doing this in Europe for years. I asked him what would you do if you were my age facing what I have? He said he would call a buddy and go to Europe!
  • Maybe i shouldnt have read these! I am having a 2 level surgery tomorrow. I am the US and it is not a trial. IHA approved the surgery with no problem.
    10 yrs ago i rode a dirtbike into a tree head first. Never went to a Dr because i was to cool to do so at 20 yrs old. 3 months ago i was Caddying for a golf turney and aggrivated it.
    Now i am in constant pain, and my arms and back go numb. After the chiro 3 days a week i went to a NS, and he got me in ASAP.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know i make out!
    Kyle
  • ktp1978 said:
    Maybe i shouldnt have read these! I am having a 2 level surgery tomorrow. I am the US and it is not a trial. IHA approved the surgery with no problem.
    10 yrs ago i rode a dirtbike into a tree head first. Never went to a Dr because i was to cool to do so at 20 yrs old. 3 months ago i was Caddying for a golf turney and aggrivated it.
    Now i am in constant pain, and my arms and back go numb. After the chiro 3 days a week i went to a NS, and he got me in ASAP.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know i make out!
    Kyle
    Good luck with your surgery
  • I had 3-level ProDisc-C surgery in March 2007 on C5-T1 done in Germany and am extremely happy with the results. For what it's worth, I have no regrets. I think a lot depends on the quality of the surgeon implanting the device. My surgeon had done thousands of these.
  • I had my 2 level ( c-3/4-4/5) on Wed November 26, and 3 days later i feel pretty good. I am really sore in my shoulder blades and the back of my neck. For the first time since August, I can turn my neck to the right. My pain today is alot less than it was yesterday. I am hoping to return to work next week ( December8th)
  • ktp1978 said:
    I had my 2 level ( c-3/4-4/5) on Wed November 26, and 3 days later i feel pretty good. I am really sore in my shoulder blades and the back of my neck. For the first time since August, I can turn my neck to the right. My pain today is alot less than it was yesterday. I am hoping to return to work next week ( December8th)
    Thats great news! =D> I had a single c5-c6 on Nov.11 and am feeling pretty good also. The soreness in the shoulders and neck will start to slowly go away in a few weeks. Don't rush things and take it easy at work.

Mike

• Thats great news! =D> I had a single c5-c6 on Nov.11 and am feeling pretty good also. The soreness in the shoulders and neck will start to slowly go away in a few weeks. Don't rush things and take it easy at work.

Mike

A few weeks huh. Lovely. Better than the alternative!
    Thanks for the heads up

• Did you both get artificial disc replacements or fusions? Please let me know as I am still trying to decide which is best for me.
    Thanks
    Laura
  • Hi Laura, I had an artificial disc (Prodisc C) replacement on 11/11/08. Tomorrow I will be 3 weeks post op. I feel pretty good, although, I still have some neck/shoulder/arm pain. Nerves, unfortunately take a long time to heal.

The main reasons for me choosing an ADR was recovery time is much faster. I was back to work after two weeks. Also you do not lose much range of motion and they do not put stress on the adjacent disc levels like fusion does.

If you have not already , check out these websites:

http://www.adrsupport.org
    http://us.synthesprodisc.com/EN-US/

Mike
  • So glad to hear that you are doing so well...and WOW, back to work after two weeks? That is incredible. :jawdrop: Do you have a physical-type job? I am wondering because I am a nurse and it is pretty brutal on the body. I hope to get back to work after the surgery as soon as possible, but i certainly don't want to push it too soon and end up back in the OR or with long term pain like I have had. Do you feel as though it was too soon to return or are you really doing that well? Congratulations on your speedy recovery.
    Laura
  • Hey Laura, I'm a computer/electronic tech. My job at times, could be very physical, but of course the past couple weeks I have mostly tried to take it slow. If something needs to be moved or lifted, I can easily ask for help. Two weeks may have been a little early, although I was getting a little bored of being at home all day. Right now most of my pain is still in my left shoulder and upper arm, not much neck pain. Hopefully, it will go away in a couple months or so.

Do you have a date for surgery yet? Are you getting a fusion?

Mike
  • I go to the OS again on the 11th of DEC and hope to have a firm decision made after this appointment about which kind of surgery would be best. Fusion seems futile as the other levels already have issues. I am still hopeful to get an ADR, but it depends on what the surgeon says Thurs. I will keep in touch!
    Thanks
    Laura
  • Had mine on Sept 22, 2008..was back at work in retail by 5 weeks. Not sure if that was such a great idea because one part of the disc replacement has moved slightly but will see more on next x-ray date 1/9/2009. I am pleased with the results yet as mentioned in other areas of the forum..I still get a strained feeling in my neck along with feeling like having swallowed something thick. All of this is much better than the headaches and arm pain.
    Thanks for the link to ADR support.. I will check it out.
    It is now past your appointments,ouch, how are things going? :/
  • Two surgeons want to do ADR, and none of them really recommend fusion, but guess what the insurance approved? Fusion! grrrrrrrr. Well, I am not sold on ADR enough to knock the door down about it, yet I really fear fusion because I have so many levels affected by bulges, ddd, and herniations. Sigh...what to do? I dunno. I keep praying. Thanks again for asking !
  • Hi I just found this sight. I had a laminectomy in 95 they took off too much ,fusion in 2000 worst thing I ever did if only an artificial disk would have been around.I am a Hygienist and the only positive thing i can say about my fusion is that it has kept me close to the Lord I am totally dependant on him.

Please don't do the fusion. I recently visited my Neurosurgeon and he explained it this In the Bible it talks about geneology, like Abraham begot Issac and so on and so He said fusion begets fusion begets fusion. Fight with your insurance company don't accept what they say get more oppinions have Drs. Write letters, this thing is FDA approved.

I feel so strongly about not having a fusion that I threatened to throw myself in front of my best friends car before I let her do it. She didn't do it.
    Other advice walk and walk and walk Omega 3 oils for the inflammation make sure you have a bite guard if you clench your teeth this can aggravate neck pain terribly.
    Drink water and take care of yourself. Breathe deeply it helps. I found I get to thinking about my neck and I hold my breathe as I am doing right now as I type.

Put it off as long as you can. Note you will get relief from the fusion for a short time but stay good friends with your DR. it won't be long before you see him again. Which means more surgery more scar tissue more stress.

Remember to take one day at a time in the meantime and remember we aren't promised tomorrow. These are all techniques I have used to cope with the neck thing. :)))
  • I had a fusion in C6-C7 (wing cage) in February 2005 and after I had to have a Prodis c arthroplasty C5-C6 in December 2008 TWO anterior cervical surgeries in less than a year, I had a car accident that caused the damage and I cannot live a normal life, same as you I am on daily medication every 4 hours and the pain is intense, I only ganed a little mobility in the neck and hands but If I could go back I definetly would not have this done. Now I know I was not the ideal candidate as I had a fused level and it was caused by a trauma but as I was paralysed I believed my neurosurgeon. I can't do basic things with my arms without resulting in two weeks without being able to move, simple things like chopping, cooking, driving a little more than small distances, standing. This is no life. Could you please send me the links from the FDA test site as I live in the UK and I would be interested to read them. They didn't even test me for alegies to the materials!Some are too quick with the knife and experiment on human beings and ruin lives.
    I have tried all treatments under the sun and they easy a little at the begining but I still have my severe crisis and I feel no one understands what we are going through they don't believe we are under this pain, we get used to it and try not to show it, I tell them I can't bare it in a normal tone and they don't believe me, after four years I don't cry at them and I learn to cope and when I go to the doctor is when I have been several days without being to control it.
    This makes me so desperate. I am strong and willing to be normal again but I am beginning to believe I will never have my life back.
    A big soft hug and hope they find a good solution to our problem.
    I know what you are going through and all of us who suffer it are the only ones who understand it.
    Regards,
    Maria
  • I have been told that most probably it will fuse and end up like a normal fusion so we might lose the mobilty, time will tell, I have had mine for 4 years that was in December. They don't really know we are their experimental trials.
    I am glad it worked for you.
    Good luck and wishing you all the best
  • They are surprized that is offensive they know sometimes they are too quick with the knife and what to experiment to get the honours!
    I had mine 4 years in december also in C5/6 and no good for me either, you tend to get used to living with pain and have ups and downs, at the beginning they kept taking me to hospital and drugging me up now I stay curled on the sofa, 20 minutes heat blanket, a tens, and soft collar 20 minutes to hold the weight of my head without abusing because your muscles must strenthen to hold your head and get used to the new device and curvature of the neck. Resting the neck leaning on the armchair head rest helps. Not all things are good for all of us but these are some of my tips.
advertisement