Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-neck surgery question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
5 days out and wondering when the gagging stops. Everything else is going great...voice is back to normal ...I can swallow pretty well now..but the gagging is horrible. I can't lay my head back at all without feeling a lump in my throat and wanting to gag. Is that normal? I've been sleeping sitting up but thats not very comfortable.
advertisement

Comments

• yes i had this for about a week or so.
    its all the muscles that were pulled to the side and cut. your larynx pushed to the side.
    your body is very angry right now, and it does take ahwile.

do you have muscle relaxers??? are they helping??
    if it becomes to bothersome give the doc a call and mabye they RX something else for you or have some other ideas.
    i used valium and it was a life saver.

let us know how you make out.
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I have a ton of pre-surgical drugs (i'm sure we all do) and flerxeril is among them....I'll give that a try. Thanks.
  • Hi,and I have had two cervical fusions....one in 2000 the other in 2008.
    Yes, I know about that gagging feeling your talking about....it was really bad for the first month but got better over time. I feel like yours is a little more extreme though. Just remember we are are all made differently....your muscles could have been harder to move....are you a small person? That would leave little room. I'm no doctor, but have learned from this site that we ALL heal in our own way on our own time. I still to this day can not stand anything tight....turtle neck around my neck.....a slight touch...you know like the doctor checking for something in the neck area....I'll gag. If this does not get better by your next appt. be sure to mention it....better safe than sorry.
    Wishing you all of the best in your recovery, Libby
  • Imeston....I'm tall but built pretty average as far as weight goes. Before the surgery the muscles in my neck,shoulder and arm were extremely tight...to the point of never relaxing...I wonder if the tight neck muscles have something to do with it? Things feel pretty loose now but if they were tight and it made it harder to move things...might explain the reaction. Thanks for the input. I will definitely tell the dr if its not better by my next appointment.
advertisement