Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C6-C7 on Nov 6th - One Level - how long in hospital?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've read so many different stories and I really just needed to start my own thread - I'm confused. I am having a ONE level C6/C7 ACDF with titanium plate and screws and clean up bone spurs on that level and others. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday Nov 6th and I am having more and more anxiousness about it as each day passes :S

How long do you think I'll be in the hospital?

How long do you think I'll be in surgery?

If anyone has any good ideas, please let me know.
advertisement

Comments

• I had a 2 level c4-5 c5-6 ...was in surgery for about 2 hours...overnight in the hospital. I understand the anxiousness but trust me....the surgery is nothing compared to the pain I had before. My first recommendation is lots of popsicles. I couldn't even swallow water the first few days unless it was ice cold. It gets better though. Every day is a little easier.
  • Hi Cindy !
    I just had two level fusion c56,c67. I went in around 1:00pm left next day around same time. I thought operation would only be a couple hours however when surgeon got in he had to clean up alot of calcium buildup.... ( Which was the first time I ever heard anything like that) Everyhing will work out fine its the unknown that freaks us out ... Take Care !
    MIKE
  • Hi Cindy.

I had a 3-lvl C4-7 w/hardware on Oct. 21. Surgery was at 8:30am, took 3-1/4 hours and I was out the next day at noon. One day is pretty standard if you're using donor bone. If you use your own, they may keep you one more night. Of course, they will first make sure you're ready to go home and have no complications before they release you. Recovery was 1.5 hours.

I had never even been in the hospital before this happened, and was simply terrified. But, as I've learned before, the anticipation is really worse than the actual thing. Once you get to the hospital, things move quickly and your mind is diverted to other things. Then they give you something to relax you and when it's time to begin anesthesia, it takes about 2 seconds before you feel it. Then the next thing you know, you're in your hospital room. I think it's harder on those waiting than the patient. I didn't even remember being in the recovery room, although my husband said I was clapping my hands and laughing because all the pain and weakness was gone in my arms. =))

After I got home, I had no trouble swallowing and was eating solid foods immediately. My throat has swollen a bit since then and it takes some good chewing and a swig of water to get the food down now, but hopefully it'll keep me from gaining weight.

I am also sleeping in a recliner and may move to my bed soon. The neck brace is what's keeping me from lying down flat. No biggy - don't have to worry about waking up the hubby when I want to read at 3am. ;)

I'm 6 days out now and I'm so happy it's over. It will go very quickly for you and if you get too anxious, tell your NS - they can get you some Xanax or Valium to help you out.

But remember, it'll be over before you know it. And when you get home, let everyone take care of you. You've earned it!

Good luck and PM anytime!
    Cath
  • Cindy Cindy Cindy,
    ;) ;) ;) Surgery was a hour, recovery 1-1/2 hrs cause I was a cry baby :''( :''(
    I was in 36 hrs. Was supposed to be 24 hrs, but my swallowing was horrible. Please don't fret about that if it happens. Some people it doesn't. It felt like I couldn't breath even though I was breathing just fine!!! They gave me some IV valium for the spasms when needed, crushed up my meds the next day. Made sure I could hold down and made me drink a whole shake.
    When I came home I was able to take my pills fine. They gave me a dose of oral meds before I left. Then I came home and slept the afternoon away. As sleep in a hospital is not the best of vactions =))
    Plus make sure you have those icepacks hunny. Either the ones from the hospital, which tend to be a bit heavy. Or the gel reusuable ones. YOU WILL NEED THEM. I laid them on my shoulders it took the burning sensation away. I used them hour on the hour.
    I found it easier to sleep in the recliner the first few nights then was more comfortable on the couch with tons of pillows and of course the ice, those did not leave my side.thehehehehehe.

huggies
    terri
    xoxoxoxox
  • I have a slight burning sensation in the shoulder too...not at all like it was pre-surgery though. I'll have to do the icepak see if it helps. I've been taking tylenol 3 because its the only thing I can take right now. Thanks Terri
  • Two hours for the surgery. One hour Post op. and an overnight stay seem to be the norm. My doctor was actually going to send me home the same day as the surgery but I like Terri was a crybaby. (We have perfectly good reasons for being that way. :) The waiting is the hardest part. I took my music with me stuck my earphones in and didn't listen to all that was going on around me until after the valium started doing it's job. 30 minutes and one anesthesiologist later and it was all over. Take someone with you that will hold your hand or do I like did and find a zone and not think about the surgery. I promise it's over before you even know what hit you. Oh and popsicles are super good afterward. I lived on them and pudding cups for the first few days.
advertisement