Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Could this be permanent or could i become paralysed??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hello. I had ACDF on C5/6 last Jan due to herniated disc and radiculopathy which still has some pain but is better somewhat.
However, before this I experienced terrible sciatica for several years which has culminated in numb feet/toes/buttocks, and disappearance of reflexes. I have visited my gp several times but he just keeps saying take painkillers. I am worried as my numbness seems to be spreading and I know do not know when my bladder is full until it is almost too late. The entire back of my legs, from the small of my back to my toes, is numb, like been lying on it for days, and i get terrible cramp.
i feel badly downstairs some years ago and landed on my back. could the worsening of the numbness be linked to my cervical injury, or is this somethine else? And if it is nerve damage, will it get progressively worse or stay the same?
I am at a loss as to what to do but know i cannot go on like this with both my neck and my lower back

Any advice would be appreciated

Fi
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to spine health. So glad you decided to join us.

Have you gotten a second opinon on this???
    Is it in both legs?
    Is it constant as in when resting or just walking??
    Have you had a recent MRI to see if there is any other issues pertaining to the lumbar spine???
    Are your legs/feet cold?
    Sharp pain at all???

When things start involving the bladder that is considered an emergency. I would really call you personal dr. Or go to your local emergency room.

I wish you the best of luck. So wish I had more infor for ya, but of course we are only allowed on here to give out personal advice and not medical.

HANG IN THERE
    Terri ;)

• Can you call the surgeon's office for an appointment? If not you need to get a referral to neurologist from your family Dr. And get an MRI. Your Doctor needs a little guidance. I hope you see your surgeon soon. Keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That sounds like lumbar problems. And, I agree with Terri. If you bladder or bowels are affected and/or you are experiencing paralysis you should visit the doctor asap.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Thank you for all your replies - good to know you are listening.....
    Terri - both legs are affected but the left slightly worse. Legs ache all the time - when I stand I have to sit down, and when I sit I have to stand up. Worse when I sit and when i do stand up it takes me ages to straighten my back and I often lose my balance and fall over. Sitting with my feet out in front of me is worst, and kneeling is a def no-no as cant get back up at all without help. Feet feel cold like cold water going through them, or tingly like blood supply coming back into them - second and third toes almost totally numb, and outside of feet and heels.
    My GP has told me as had it for so long nothing could be done anyway but he has sent me for blood tests to check for inflammation.
    Last MRI was 2006 and there is a definate area which looks suspiciously like a herniated disc although i was told at the time that apart from some degeneration everything was ok. I'm no doctor but after seeing all the scans of my neck and the herniated disc there, this def looks like a herniation
  • but it seems like you need to find a different pcp if he has let this go on for years..."take a pain killer"???
  • You described my issues of numbing and bladder issues. My problem is L5/S1 nerve roots. I too cannot feel when I have to go until it is almost too late. I agree you need another MRI and doctor who will look at your lumbar area.
    Julie
  • I have no sensation in my left foot/toes and no ankle jerks, as has been said try not to worry, I do know that this is far easier said than done and I have had my symptoms for 15 years. It is not easy sitting by as the numbness extends, ask the questions that are important to you to your doctor so that once and for all it can put your mind at rest, if you worry too much you may become depressed and that will not help you or your situation.

John
  • You need a new MRI and a consultation with a spine surgeon. If your PCP keeps blowing you off, get a new one. Good-luck, Sue
advertisement