Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Nov 6th and quit smoking on Friday

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am doing ok, but a little crabby X( . I smoked my last menthol ciggy at 3pm that day and put the patch on (I am also taking the Chantix) two weeks ago started that. I am also using the herbal cigarettes (Honeyrose Blue) to smoke when I REALLY need to curb the craving. It is working - gladly, it is working. I am going to wear the patch until next Wed. I will continue to have the herbal cigs around in case I really get a craving and stay on the Chantix for a while (most recent info on it's dangers, I might not, we'll see). But, this is the hardest thing I will have DONE. I have been smoking 20 years and it is so worth it to me to have this fusion be a success. I have no choice now, I must do this for my health and for everyone around me, including my 6 year old son.

The things I've read and heard first hand from my Aunt's husband about not fusing while not giving up smoking - are nightmares and I don't want that to happen to me. So, at almost 39 years old (on Friday) I have finally given up the smokes, THANK GOD!

Anyone else?
advertisement

Comments

• I hope that you can continue with the not smoking, I quit chewing the day before my first ACDF last November, knock on wood I have not returned to doing so. It does get easier over time, hang in there!

mark
  • Cindy Cindy Cindy,
    Your doing just fine girly girl!!!
    I was supposed to stop last week. Ok before my surgery to in Sept and did not.
    Ya think my latest diagnosis would be enough to scare the pants of me to stop but STRESS/BADNEWES makes it worse.
    Tonight is my stopping date with nothing.
    Hopefully they will admit me tomorrow at my appt for surgery WHOO HOOO I will be able to walk again and start fusingggggggggggg <:P
    Hubby took the chantix last year for 2 weeks thats all he needed to quit.
    I'm surprised they are letting you use the patch and chantix togther hmmmmmmm

Anywho Cindylouwho you will do great and surgery will be fine!!!! ;) >:D< :* :X O:)
  • It's been a bit over 6 months for me. I am so proud of myself!! My hubby quit with me back in April but has recently started back up (moron lol) I am not happy at all. I am convicted, I want to be a NONsmoker. So I will refrain. You can do it! I found this cool little free counter online that tells me how long since I quit, how many cigs I HAVE NOT smoked how much money I have saved and how much time of my life I have saved. Google it, it's called quit keeper. It's a great incentive tool.

Keep up the great work!
  • I didn't even ask - I just did it. Am taking both the patch and Chantix together. Maybe I shouldn't? I don't know. I would think it's the same as smoking and using the Chantix, just getting the nicotine in a different form rather than inhaling it. I don't know. But I figure it's safer this way (probably not safe) but safer :) LOL! Thanks hun!
  • I really dont' know Cindy, all I know is you can smoke on the chantix. Thats the whole point of the drug. Your smoking gets less and less.
    Hubby smoked the first week on it.
    By the second week he could not even handle the smell of the cig.
    I don't think there would be any contridictions as your right nicotine is nicotine.
    But I would confirm this with a dr.
    I'd rather be safe then sorry...

Hang in there hunny
    Huggies
    Terri xoxoxoxo
advertisement