Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ear aches

cyndi4everccyndi4ever Posts: 153
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had spine surgery posterior with 3 level fusion and lamenectomy 8 weeks ago and for the past week or so I have had ear aches nightly while sleeping sometimes so bad its rediculous, they go away after awhile but are bothersome, and now during the day they start,.. weird, anyone think itss got something to do with my surgery, I am also in a hard collar, until dec 1.. I have not had ear problems since I was little... cyndi
advertisement

Comments

• I never woulda connected the two...but now that I think about it I've had problems with my ears since my back decided to go MIA. Blocked, sore, pressure...that sort of thing. Could there be a connection? Looks like I'm gonna be doin some research lol.
  • i have to say i think there is something that is associated with the ear and cervical problems. it seems there is so much cluster effect that irritates and makes things sore and infection. that is my opinion. i have had 2 bad ear infections right against each other since i have been diagnosed with cervical . i am still having soreness and i can feel something is not right. the pain was unbearable. i think it is worth more investigating also.
    always Leo :/
  • Its some kind of muscle spasms around your ears. when i have massages my therapist stretches the skin going up the sides of my neck and goes right behind my ears it hurts a bit but when he's done it feels so much better around the time that i have to go back to him i will start getting sore ears again. mine started after the surgery as well. :?
  • One of the biggest problems for people who scuba dive, is being able to equalize their ears as they descend. This is more particularly prevalent with brand new divers or those learning to dive. Part of the problem is they get nervous and tense up and their throat gets dry. The simple act of swallowing activates the muscles in the back of the throat which help open the Eustachian tube allowing the ear to equalize.

So if you have just had anterior surgery on your c-spine, then in my (non-medical professional) opinion, I would think that it's possible the two are related.

For divers we get them to do a few tricks, of course one is to swallow, one is to yawn, one is to wiggle their jaw from side to side, one is to try any of these while gently moving their head from side to side, and of course the golden standard of doing a valsalva. The other key is to make sure the diver is hydrated!

So, I don't know if this helps any, but what the heck.

"C"
  • I just found this on a website, researching the subject:

Hülse also carried out retrospective examinations on 259 patients over a 5-year period. These patients had a functional deficit of the upper cervical spine, but had no primary deafness. With a battery of ENT and neuro-otological tests having been performed, and after ruling out other disturbances like VBI and more central nervous system related conditions, Hülse says, “it can be said that cochlear symptoms are linked to functional deficits in the upper cervical spine region.” Thus symptoms like deafness, tinnitus, a feeling of pressure in the ears, ear droning and otalgia are not unusual symptoms of functional deficits of the upper cervical spine.

Now to find out if lumbar spine problems have the same affect...
  • brucie 76
    thanks for the above. i had c1 c2 fused and ever since my surgery i have had ear issues. every time i swallow my ears pop. literally .. . every time. kinda like they are full of fluid and need to pop them.

the yawning, swallowing, valsalva . . .nothing works. still plugged up. hopefully NS will clear this up for me on thursday.

maybe i need ear candling?? . .. :))(
  • I know that something is connected because it happens when I lay down or put my head in a certain position... Ill talk to my NS about it... They are going to try me on lyrica for nerve stuff, so maybe that will help... I dint have it with the anterior surgery..... Glad its not just me
advertisement