Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chiropractor? Laser Surgery?

rapid_refillrrapid_refill Posts: 8
MRI results: small L4 and L5 disk herniation. The L4 is para central and L5 is herniation on the left side. I was playing golf in July, next thing I know I have back pain and herniated disks.

At first I had only back pain, than mild left leg pain and lately I have left butt cheek numbness when I sit or lay down on my back.
I did PT for nearly 4 months and that didn't seem to help. I'm on twice a day 500mg Naproxen for the past 2 weeks. If the Naproxen is helping at all, the effect is very limited as I'm still experiencing all the symptoms as before with slightly less pain.
My pain level is 1 when I walk and up to 4 when I sit for a long time.

The question I have for you is about chiropractors. Do you think chiropractor is the place to go for me? Like I mentioned above the MRI says "small herniation" and my neurologist told me after looking at the films that it will all go away. That was 2 months ago and I think my conditions have worsen since then.

I'm also seeing orthopedic surgeon. She's the one who put me on Naproxen and recommended epidural injection as the next step. I supposed to be on Naproxen for 2 more weeks (4 weeks total).

Any input is highly appropriated.

PS: I'm also researching about laser surgery. There is one place in NYC where they do that kind of procedures. Any thoughts on that?

Jack
advertisement

Comments

• I just wanted to put my two cents in. Back 3 years ago I had a small disc protrusion. I had an MRI that showed that. I went to a chiropractor and he caused my disc to burst horribly and turned it into a large herniation with severe nerve compression and the pain went all the way to my foot. I had no option but surgery at that point. I had lost the use of my left calf muscle because the nerve was so compressed.

It was so obvious it was the chiropractor since I had the proof with the MRI right before and then right after that showed the damage and the pain was a give away too when the next day after going to the chiro the pain shot down the back of my thigh then the next day into my calf and then the next day my foot. My foot hurt so bad it was excruciating to even have a sheet touch it. I just wanted to say no way do not go to a chiropractor for a disc problem. The one I went to even said it was decompression but man it really damaged my disc.

Some chiro's know not to mess with damaged discs and they'll just refer you.
  • A chiro made my condition worse also. I have had laser surgery after an endoscopic microD. This is the least invasive surgery to have but I always advocate trying all of the conservative measures before opting for surgery as there are no guarantees with surgery.