Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

impatient

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
im becoming very impatient over the heal time, this laying around crap is for the birds. i know its necessary but seriously!? Im bored outa my mind it hurts to get up but i find myself trying to anyways. My wife gets angry cause im always trying to do something and shes afraid ill injure myself. The pain is still very much there but i just dont know how much longer i can go on with the day in and day out of laing around..lol anyways sorry just thought id vent a little. Hope everyones doing decent.
Ethan
advertisement

Comments

• I have only had 2.5 weeks of this, but what is helping me a little is to try to keep to a schedule. Shower, breakfast, walk, rest. Lunch, walk, nap, TV., etc. That seems to help a little, if you are a person who is used to a schedule every day. Of course, after another month.. :S
  • PAT045 said:
    I have only had 2.5 weeks of this, but what is helping me a little is to try to keep to a schedule. Shower, breakfast, walk, rest. Lunch, walk, nap, TV., etc. That seems to help a little, if you are a person who is used to a schedule every day. Of course, after another month.. :S

I found out early on that if I didn't create a schedule for myself, I went nuts. I read somewhere that a shower is so utterly important to starting the day every day no matter what. I found it to be a real blessing to get up and shower as I started each day. I went through this for months at a time over the last 5 years. Being retired military, I too have the need to "keep to a strict schedule" ingrained in my soul. So when I have to "lay around and heal", I create a schedule based on that.

For instance, I would get up and make coffee and lay back down. After I had some coffee I would shower. Then I would make and eat a balanced breakfast and lay back down. Then I would get up for a walk and then lay back down. Then it was get up for lunch and lay back down. Then get up for a walk ....................

I had my laptop and also many DVD's to fill the time during the "lay back down". I also took a camera with me on my walks and took photos and appreciated the things around me.

Just stuff like that.

"C"
  • I know what you guys are saying about the schedule, being in the army im used to a schedule begining early am till night, i try with some things ie, the coffee, and set walking times(though i cant get far..lol). I try to keep busy with my medical retirement as far as paperwork and whatnot but it just never seems enough even though i drag out 30 mis worth of items to 3 hours.lol
  • Your examples are always great!

Ethan,
    I googled things to do while recovering and the first website on the list happened to be this one. :) Perhaps one of the suggestions here will be helpful to you.

http://www.spine-health.com/blog/surgery/56-things-do-while-recovering-surgery

One Love,

Stephanie
  • That first month.........

- Starting the day with a shower - C, as usual, you are so right!

- Got active on this forum: Spent hours a day here back then.

- Watched endless episodes of Mythbusters, American Chopper, Overhaulin and heaps of Discovery channel nature programs.

- Started writing a book about my life; my back issues - when it all started, what I went through, the surgeries, the recovery, etc. It was fun at the time and pushed me to research a lot more about my conditions and treatments.

- Having a laptop is great if you can afford one, as you can do things on it while propped up in bed.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• It was Soooooooo hard to be "good". oh my gosh. it's a miracle I didn't lose my sanity. I ended up with 3 surgeries in 7 weeks. (the first one being the fusion on July 9th, the last one Aug.21) and was in bed most of the time... with the exception of walking in my house or the 12 days in the hospital over those 7 weeks. it SUCKED bad. you have to do it, though. you DON"T want setbacks. be a good boy now and you will reap the rewards! I was told Monday I am fusing! wuhuu! seriously... you don't need any accidents. you don't need to twist, bend or lift to hurt even worse for hours. it's bad enough when you're good. trust us, it's even worse when you're bad!!!
  • G. said:
    It was Soooooooo hard to be "good". oh my gosh. it's a miracle I didn't lose my sanity. I ended up with 3 surgeries in 7 weeks. (the first one being the fusion on July 9th, the last one Aug.21) and was in bed most of the time... with the exception of walking in my house or the 12 days in the hospital over those 7 weeks. it SUCKED bad. you have to do it, though. you DON"T want setbacks. be a good boy now and you will reap the rewards! I was told Monday I am fusing! wuhuu! seriously... you don't need any accidents. you don't need to twist, bend or lift to hurt even worse for hours. it's bad enough when you're good. trust us, it's even worse when you're bad!!!
    At two weeks, I got so bored that I drove myself to the shopping mall - 20 minute drive. It hurt like heck driving there, hurt worse walking around there, was in agony driving back, and in a lot more pain the next day. Besides, I obviously drove while on heavy pain killers. Stupid stupid stupid thing to do. I learnt a very important lesson about patience that day. Not to mention the dangerous risk to myself and others of driving while impaired.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

• bruce i like your idea about writing a book. I think with all the time on my hands i might write my own little book on m iraq experiences
  • Maybe write it for your kids (or a version for your kids) - when they are old enough to understand. I don't know what made me think of that, so hard to get those stories from my own family I suppose...
  • i had c1 c2 fusion twice and for the first five weeks i was to confined to bed. i was not allowed to sit up for more than an hour. walking was not an option. the extent of my exercise was repositioning in bed. (|:

u will get through it. keep active on this site. it really makes time fly by.

ps. . . .i just bought my son a nintendo DS. that is a major time killer and filler. get one!!
  • ethan ethan ethan.
    you men and being impatient ;) ;) :T :T :T
    no im only bustin on ya. ;)

it is hard. BUT just think of the right time for healing what your going to feel like in a few weeks?? Think ahead.
    Yeah even for me thats been home since 06 its hard, but I get through.
    most of my days are spent in bed or on here. post away man, it waste's time and helps so many others that are having problems that you may be able to help with.

i know its hard for you use to being on a tight schedule. relax enjoy your vactaion. plus i know going back in the hosptial was a bummer but at least they got that problem fixed.

now for example with me. now i have to have surgery all over again for something totally unrelated to the back and well i will be laid up for about 6 weeks. uggh yes, but this site is my get away for it all.

there is always a post somewhere that is going to peak your interest and may be able to help that person with your intelligent experience.

so go forth my man!!! be strong, hang in there and like i said "enjoy the vacation" as you may not get one again for a very long time..

take care
    terri O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • Ethan my friend,

I hate lying here all the time too. I have been doing dishes, sitting up doing projects and homework with my 7 year old, and just rying to do more stuff myself to pass the time. My husband gets angry with me too! I actually went outside and my 10 year old and 7 year old walked with me to the end of my street, about 200 yards, and when I headed back, my husband had just gotten home from work and got very angry with me for being out. I know I have to walk! He just doesn't understand! The walls are closing in on me!
    Well, I still do dishes, let my dogs out, try not to bend and twist and lift, but it doesn't always happen! I think that our significant others need to try to be us for a day and let us know how it was!
    Just keep smiling! We are here for ya!

Kim
  • just got my staples out today, man those things hurt coming out :jawdrop: army doctors arent very gentle either..lol feels great having them out no more snags on things, i opened up a lil bit so they want steri-strips on for 7 days but its much better than the staples
    Ethan
  • I know what you mean about getting bored and stuff. I was so sick of looking at the same walls all the time, I was going out of my mind. However, a very dear friend suspected I was getting depressed and made it her mission to get me out of the house. We'd go to a restaurant and get coffee or whatever, however long I could sit comfortably. It did me the world of good! Sometimes we'd just go for a long car ride...I'd lay the seat down a bit to get comfortable. But, oh boy! Just to get out of the house was delicious! She'd come and get me about every 2 days...really did help! Maybe you have someone who could do that for you?
  • I hear that SuDoKu is very addictive (my wife loves it and can while away the hours doing it). Not sure that you could spend days and days at it tho. You can get SuDoKu books, electronic games, & software for your computer.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

• ive tried to do those puzzles before and i think i popped a blood vessel in my head..lol not my cup of tea im a grunt that required way too much though...lol
  • injuredranger said:
    ive tried to do those puzzles before and i think i popped a blood vessel in my head..lol not my cup of tea im a grunt that required way too much though...lol
    lol, me too! I just don't have the patience for that - or crosswords, scrabble, etc., etc. Gotta be doing things - ideally building something or ripping something apart!
    Keep positive!

Bruce

• glad you got your staples out. yeah imagine those drs are not very gentle. but hey iv had them out before and drs in the hospitals or drs office's aren't to gentle either. figures lol

i take it your up cause your online, i am to. so dang uncomfortable uggh.
    i need blood flow to that fusion man or the pain is never going to go away!

have you tried pogo?? i think im getting on tomorrow. i have a year membership and forgot about it. better use it before its up.
    tons of cool games!! cool people to chat and ya earn badges lmao =))

hope your hangin in there!!!
  • I totally understand about the boredom. I can say that the beginning is the worst because you are so limited in what you can do. I am not a tv watcher and used to a very busy way of life.
    I put myself on a schedule (to complete simple tasks) as well and did learn to do crosswords!
    Once you can move around more try to find a "project" that will keep you busy without putting physical strain on your body. I found keeping my mind busy helped to forget about the pain and boredom. Good luck!
  • You might hate me for this but I've been fine since a week after I got home from the hospital :) Feel great. Lol. I do everything like normal, basically. Oddly, the only thing that bothers me is the big incision in my stomach... Still hurts when I cough or sneeze, (which is odd because when I had my c-section with a 10" incision that pain went away after 2 weeks or so), and sometimes it just hurts on it's own, and the bottom right incision on my back. It's weird. Lol.

I understand your boredom. I am obviously not going to work anytime soon, partially because I don't know if I am ever going back... I have an Autistic son and I refuse to put him in daycare.. And with the economy being the way it is the chances of finding a job mothers hours is pretty rare. Especially since there is no one to watch him during school vacations and days off, etc. So I basically sit at home alone all day. Boyfriend has the car to go to work so I do nothing. I go crazy, too! But I find the more bored i am, the worse my attention span is. Everyone suggests to me to read. Maybe read. Read lots and lots and books and then you'll be like, the smartest person EVER by the time you're ready to get back to normal :) Hehehe.

I hope ya feel better soon!!!
  • i have been reading thats the one thing i do. ive been trying to talk my wife into letting me get a video game system but thats not likely to happen she hates those things...lol so i stick with the reading ive got this really great book world war z its a book about basically zombies i freakin love it but i try to pace myself on it cause i dont want to finish it in like 2 weeks and have nothing afterwards.lol The other thing ive been doing is playing alot with my 18 mo old son as much as a guy laying on the couch can...lol
  • Video games are perfect for when you're stuck in bed! My favorite is Super Nintendo. My Bf is into all that so we have reg Xbox, Xbox 360, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, LOL.

You could watch kid movies! Does your son like any? My son LOVES when we watch movies with him in the living room. We watch Toy Story 1 & 2, Bee Movie, Lion King, etc... Lol.
  • Oh, my gosh....I just posted on another blog about how stir crazy I am! I live in the midwest and it's already getting cold and I can't drive yet.....they have me on neurontin for neuropathy pain so reading is out.....mind wanders!? I feel like I'm losing it! I so feel your frustrations in this matter.
    These spine surgerys are sure hard on us.....on the other blog I said, I looked like I had aged ten years since the surgery.....not what a woman wants to see in the mirror!
    Oh, how I feel for each and everyone of you....me among that group! It sure is an up hill battle daily.....that hill gets pretty steep some days......but we have to keep the faith that it will get better....I'm preaching to myself too because I am very much struggling too. Just know that we are ALL keeping you in though and prayer for a complete speedy recovery.
    Very best to you, Libby
    C 4-5 fusion 2001
    C 5-6-7 Cage 2008
    L 4-5 PLIF 9/16/08
    Many epidurals 2003-2007 PT, Chiropractics....you know the whole ball game!
    Plus many more.......but those are my spine surgerys
  • It is a little expensive, but that is what is saving my husband's sanity. It is hand held, so you can use it anywhere. I bought him "Brain Age" which is supposed to help the brain, but I have a feeling he plays everything BUT that.

I did find something for him to do, laundry wise---folding clothes. I put the baskets on the bed and he can do it.

Enjoy your time off---you have the rest of your life to work!

Linda MI
advertisement