Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i can't believe it happened to me

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:H Hi all,

Well i was on my way to therapy today and was stopped at a stop light waiting to go and was rearended.The woman who hit us didn't even stop she just took off. there was a cab infront of us that saw what she did and took down her license plate no. for us. we took off following her and i guess she decided she was going to get away so she finally pulled over and stopped.She said that she was busy putting a soother in her babies mouth and didn't see us.Are you kiddin me!!! ~X( I'm just six months post fusion and now my back from my neck down to my hips are killing me.I had x-rays done and was told to take some advil for the pain.My worst fear after having the fusion was that i might get into a car and end up in a accident and it actually happened.I never been in a car accident before.I think someone up there doesn't like me too much. :?
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry that happened to you. We were in an accident 2 years ago, we hit 2 drunken tourists pedestrians. They were charged for jaywalking(running) I wonder if it was then I hurt my back. Make sure you get the works and that goes for CT or MRI. I can't prove that's when I hurt my back but after 1 year goes by they can't recharge someone. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's not good! Have you spoken with your surgeon or were you only taken care of in the ER? In most cases, 6 months is not long enough for fusion to be complete, so make sure your sugeon knows what happened. My only other advice would be don't settle with the other insurance company until you are absolutely certain that this accident hasn't messed up your neck. so sorry for your pain.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • That sucks! I hope you start to feeling better soon. Definitely don't let them pressure you in to settling soon. I agree that a call to your surgeon would be prudent.

"C"
  • Tammy,Sorry to hear about your accident. Please take this seriously and don't let anyone play this down. I was rear ended 20 years ago and the damage to my neck is permanent and on going.Did you call the police?
    Please take care,
    Bethy
  • i called my doctor and told there office what happened and they sent me for x-rays today,i have filed a police report and the officer has gone to talk to the driver.i will call the surgeons office first thing in the morning and tell them what happened.My back is really hurting,muscle spasms have set in.I'll let you's know what happens. ;))
  • OMG! That has been my biggest fear since my surgery! I am so afraid to drive. I drive to work & Dr. appointments. That's it. I am so sorry this happened to you!
    I agree with everyone else. Don't settle & be sure you get all of the neccesary MRI's & Xrays,etc.. I do hope that there is no damage.
    Keep us updated, please.
    Take care, >:D<
    Kim
  • Please let us know when you talk to your surgeon. As you know, I was injured by getting rear ended and the effects can be far reaching. I agree with the others- don't settle anytime soon. Make SURE that everything is okay with your neck and back.

The driver of one of the semi's that caused my accident took off as well. Nobody got his license plate or DOT number. I hope the man feels shame every day of his sad little life and I hope that driver that hit you does too. What kind of person does that?

Take care of yourself and keep us posted,

Griff
  • I called the surgeons office this morning but got there answering machine so just waiting to here back from them.I don't think that anything happened to my neck during the accident,it feels fine,its the rest of me that hurts. :D I think the the accident screwed up my knee i woke up the day after and my knee was really hurting and the pain hasn't gone away yet.Hopefully its nothing serious.I think i have a big bullseye on my back and bad luck is attracted to it. :))( I never went to the hospital just went home and madea doctors apt. i would have spent six or seven hours in our hospital waiting to see someone.
  • I just hope you feel better soon. Glad you feel that your neck is okay. Let us know what you find out.

"C"
  • Hi All
    Well i called the surgeons office yesterday morning and still waiting to here back from them. Good thing i'm not dying! LOL ;) I heard back from my doc. today and they said that the x-rays of my neck came back normal,which is what i expected. I'm so bummed out,i have been off of all pain meds. for over a month and because of the accident i ended up having to go back on them again.I started getting nerve pain in both arms and my one leg again the day after the accident.today was worse then yesterday and i'm hoping that it will stop getting worse. It seems like this has really set me back.Unfortunately, i had just started moving forward from my fall two months ago and now this.Doesn't seem like i'm getting very far very fast. 8}
    Happy Halloween Everyone!!
  • hey tammy c

i had a scary thing happen to me two days ago too. i was getting out of the car and my head hit the door and i hyperextended my head back ---- in the collar--- the velcro came undone a bit. of course i freaked out. thank gosh i had my collar on.

i had no pain and no other symptoms but the thoguht of the bone graft slipping again was eating me up.

so of course . . . .off for another x ray i went. lol. meanwhile i just saw my NS two days ago and those xrays were perfect.

the urgent care clinic guy told me after 6-8 weeks the bone fusion is pretty strong and i should not worry too much now about the graft slipping. i did not believe him. told him i need an xray to check so i can sleep and not die from anxiety.

of course all is good. s*&t happens!! i guess it is how we deal with it is what counts!!
  • i'm still waiting for a call back from the surgeons office. at first i thought that i wouldn't need anymore tests done.My neck felt pretty good just a little sore but as time goes by i keep getting more and more pain coming back. I was off of all my pain meds. and now i've had to start back on my nerve pain meds. i'm getting nerve pain in my arms and legs now just like before my surgery.My hips were feeling so good after the surgery but now there feeling just as they did before. I'm still hoping that this is all just caused from inflammation caused by the accident,that would be the best possible answer.I did go to therapy on friday and i cut all of my exercises doing minimal just as when i had first started. Later on that day i was in so much pain from muscle spasms and burning sensation all over,but my doctor told me not to be missing any sessions. I think that was a big mistake ,it just seemed to make me worse.At least i have a few days before i have to go back again. 8}
  • OH DARN so sorry this happened to you and so sorry it takes so long for your dr to call back.
    i would try to get a ct scan of other areas of the back to.
    the xrays dont' show that much.
    and of course good thing you don't have to pay for it!! the ding bat that hit you does.

i wish you the best of luck. ;)
    ya know i used to think someone was after me to as you can see by my sig below, but ya know what thats not the case.
    crap is going to happen without warning.
    it sucks i know but it happens. O:) O:) O:)

you hang in there!!!!! i hope your pain subsides and no more damage was done through out your body..

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< cyber hugs
    terri
  • but could the nerve pain be caused by inflammation in my neck caused by the accident or would something else be happening that's causing it to come back again?Does anyone have any ideas.I hate the waiting.

• There are so many different things that I'd rather not try to guess what is going on. Has your doctor OKd NSAIDS? You're about 6 months post op, right? If so, maybe taking some ibuprofen for inflammation may be a good idea until you can get in to see him. I'm sure you are dealing with some fairly tight muscles from the accident, so maybe if you can get those muscles to relax, the nerve stuff may settle down. I would be concerned like you are though. You've been through way too much for this to happen. give your doctor a call again in the morning so that they know you are still concerned. You've already had to wait through the weekend. Hopefully you'll find out something tomorrow.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Unfortunately i've been taking stuff for the inflammation since the day of the accident to no avail.Hopefully when the surgeons office calls me back they can give me some hope!! ~X(
  • Have you received a call yet? I'm concerned about you.
    Cindy
  • Hi Cindy:
    Sorry but my daughter was working on a project all night and this is the first chance i've had to get on it. :))( I did hear back from the surgeons office around 6pm tonight.I explained to them what happened and how i was feeling.They told me to make an apt. with my doctor for a complete exam and to tell them if they have any concerns that they are to call them right away.I told them about the nerve pain and how bad its been and they said that its most likely caused from the jolt that i took and to ask her to put me on stronger medications.Yippee thats what i want.Whoohoo! more medications. i was happy with none.Well i guess its back to the doctors again.I'll let you know what my own doctor has to say when i see her.i appreciate everyones concern.Hopefully its nothing serious and will go away on its own again.Oh ya they also said to cut back my therapy to half of what i'm doing now for a while until i'm feeling better.Wow there's a new one.First i'm told do more then i'm told do less, 8} make up my mind. =))
  • well i've been up now for two hours,i woke up with incredible pain in my back and arms,so i got up and took some pain meds. and stretched out my back,arms and hips.This really sucks,when i had my surgery i was very hopeful that i would never feel this sort of pain again and here i am sleepless nights once more. ~X( Hopefully when i see my doctor she can give me something else to help with the pain and stiffness,i seriously think i need some muscle relaxants. :H
  • well the day after i talked to my surgeon i called my doctors office like i was told to,too make an apt. to get checked out when i called i talked to the nurse and i told her that i had called the surgeons office and they told me to make an apt. and get checked out and get some stronger meds. to help with my pain.The nurse got really snotty with me and said that the x-ray was normal and she didn't know why i called the surgeons office. I told her that i told them that i had x-rays done and that they were normal but i was concerned because i had recurrance of my nerve pain.They didn't know why i was having it and wanted me to be checked out and if there were problems then my doctor was to contact them immediately. The nurse said well she's all booked up for a long time,she said that the next apt. she has open was Dec.8. I was so mad i said you've got to be kidding me right.I said i've just had major surgery and was in a car accident and you want me to wait almost six weeks to be checked out.I told her that i would just go to the walk in clinic and get checked then and she told met that i couldn't do that because they wouldn't have my files. I told her that i was calling my surgeon back and finding out what i should do and i hung up on her.SO RUDE!So i hung up the phone and called the surgeons office immediately and of course got there answering machine.Always do!! I told them what she had said to me and asked them what my next step would be now cause i'm not waiting that long to be checked out.I seem to have the worst luck possible
advertisement