Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post surgery walking

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted a few days ago and was really thinking about having the PLIF surgery right after Christmas. However, I realized that everyone says walk, walk, walk, and I'm afraid with the bad weather in the mid-west during this time that I would not be able to safely walk (we don't have a mall in our town. Anyway, would I be able to use a treadmill and later on, use an eliptical machine. I don't mind the cold weather walking, it's just the ice and snow that will cause problems.

Thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences with me.
advertisement

Comments

• im stationed here in the mid west and had the surgery, i too worried about walking on ice or snow, but if you dont have a treadmill even just walking around the house is what ive been doing. kinda circle house here on post. its already getting cold here and for some reason the cold aches m back..lol im gonna start working the stairs here i a few weeks, anyways im sure any walking would be good.
    Good luck
    Ethan
  • I literally walked in circles for 15 minutes at a time. through the kitchen, through the dining room, through the living room, back to the kitchen. when I felt better, I'd then go 4 steps down to the lower level to the guest bedroom, turn and go to the den, go up 4 steps to the kitchen, etc...!!! I did this 3-4 times a day! it was too dang hot in Oklahoma to walk outside and survive.
    sometimes when I felt really rough, I'd walk upstairs in circles! (I didn't want to go 10 steps down to the main floor) my bedroom, down the hallway, to my kids room, and back. you get the picture. boring of course, but you'll do what you can to get better! my kids would walk behind me, usually just one at a time, and talk to me the whole time. too funny. or we'd sing silly songs while I walked and they marched. :)
  • I did the indoor laps at home myself. As long as you are up and moving it doesn't matter.
  • I am in California, so an August surgery, it was very hot here. I didn't want to get out of my gown for my early morning walk, so I walked circles on my patio with my walker. My daughter said I looked like a hamster on a wheel, :))( You could do the same thing indoors. Sue
  • It was great to have during a long Colorado winter. A mile a day from the first day postop, then two miles a day starting at 8 weeks, per surgeon's orders. I did every mile, and it helped me get well.

Best wishes for success!

robba
  • I just get enough walking around the house. Sometimes I go shopping and walk around the mall, but too much walking and my hips start hurting.

I don't know about everyone else, but the cold weather up here in MA lately when I wake up MAN does my back KILL. The cold weather makes it a lot worse. I know I won't be walking around outside in the winter. Hell no Lol.
  • My treadmill has saved my behind! I got it years ago when I worked so many hours I couldn't get to the gym. I wanted to get rid of it at one point and my hubby said to hang on to it. Lo and behold my back went south and I was suddenly in need of a place to walk. Blazing hot summers and blustery wet winters made it impossible to walk outside (not to mention Typhoons). Since Jan 2004 I must have walked thousands of miles on it.

Sometimes you can pick one up real cheap through the classifieds.

"C"
  • My doctor encourages his patients to walk outside because it forces you to complete your goal (you cant stop halfway)and not give up due to pain. I live on the top of a hill, I walked up and down the block for a while but had problems with uneven sidewalks, I twisted my ankle then switched to the treadmill. My doctor said if I used the treadmill I had to promise to do my time/distance and work thru the pain!

Take Care,
    Shell

• I found that the best way to get myself to do the distance or time I want, is to watch a TV series on DVD. Most shows although an hour with commercials, are 43 minutes without. Perfect for a walk. I put a small TV in front of the treadmill, got a cheap DVD player and some headphones with a long cord and PRESTO!

"C"
  • I really appreciate the comments. I wasn't sure if walking around the house would suffice, but it looks as though it is workable. I have a real nice eliptical machine but I'm afraid that it is not what I need initially. I will see if I can borrow or rent one. I know a few people who use theirs as clothes hangers.

Thanks again and good luck to all of you.
  • Treadmill would be your best bet.
    Also walking in place to a movie or ipod on.

As I will tell you from expereince being six weeks out and not being able to use my legs to walk (not due to surgery) IM IN PAIN. :''(

You really need that oxygen and blood flowing to the site.
    Last yr at a month and 1/2 I was doing almost all my normal things that I did before surgery except the bending part. OK lied ya bend sometimes without thinking oops.. :D

But yeah any form of walking is fine. Its so much needed.
    You also can check out Craigs list for your area for used ones if you want to keep it for yourself.

Good luck
    Terri O:)
  • in the park where there is a walking track around the perimiter. There are 3 within easy distance of my place all with varying distances.
    If it rains I go to the mall and on weekends when the park is full of kids playing sports.
    I live in a unit and it is way to small to walk around in, 3 steps turn left 4 steps turn right etc. Would drive me mad.
    If I had room for a treadmill I would get one as it is a really good option. (eliptical trainer not till later )
    It is getting hot here and has also been raining a lot so I am sick of the mall and dodging people so thanks Paul I hadn't realised that they opened early. I will have to investigate.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement