Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tingles, twinges and itches...HELP!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 7 months post op from a 3 level posterior lumbar fusion with hardware. I am having an increasing system overload with a variety of all over body twinges, tingles and general itching. There is no apparent reason for any of it from medication or allergy, so I'm wondering if perhaps it could be from nerves being affected/damaged during surgery. Has anyone experienced nerves being damaged during surgery that have caused similar symptoms? What can you recommend to give me relief? Some times it becomes unbearable and I think I will go mad!! I keep my fingernails short so I don't claw myself bloody from scratching. It is very embarrassing at work and in public, as I must constantly rub or scratch my arms, legs, face, shoulders...you name it, to stop the creepy, crawling, itching twinging feelings.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you changed the detergent you wash your clothes in recently? My daughter had similar symptoms and that's what caused her problem. Sounds like a demertology problem rather than post surgery, but perhaps you should give your dr. a call. Keep us posted, ok?
  • Like Joy, I wondered about allergy to detergent, soap, shampoo - something like that. Several years ago I developed awful arm & shoulder itching. Nothing I tried (like anti-itch creams, etc) seemed to help. I had been using the same laundry detergent for years so did not think it could be that - but when I switched to a hypoallergenic one at a friend's suggestion the itching went away.
  • likely to be from nerves if you had lumbar fusion and you are feeling this on your arms as well.
    I suggest you go to your local Dr and get some allergy testing done.
    Hope you feel better soon. Ice is great on itches!

Blessings Sara O:)