Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kids?? How to cope w/ teasing and Mom's and Dad's being ill hmmm

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi all,
Hope this day finds you well and spirits high ;)

All of us people that suffer with some type of pain whether it be multiple surgeries, back problems, mental you get the picture.

How do we teach our kids to be strong? I finally got through to my 21 yr old when she was 17. My son is like his MAMA so problem there with choice of words or standing up for yourself. #:S
The 12 yr old :/ :/ :/ Tuff TUFF age.
So much is going on inside their little bodies. So many questions. The teasing at school. Having a mom that is sick all the time. Dad raising pretty much everyone.

What do you all do if this goes on in your household??
I have a headache I cannot go to school
I have a belly ache
I have a sore throat.
This one said this to me yesterday.

I tell my kids to stand up for themselves. Say something back. Those kids are "bullies" they do not have a great hom life. They use that as their defense to get attention.

Now with everything she has seen me go through you think she would be strong after seeing my positive attitude.

So lets share our ideas/stories here on how to get through those teenage horrible years, as some of us remember all to well what it was like. I got teased all the way through, because I liked anyone and anybody. They did not have to be popular, have alot of money etc etc. I just liked them for who they were.
What is so different with kids these days :/ :/ :/ :/

Thanks for listening. I hope this turns out to be a great thread and can help some others to as we start posting.

Terri
xoxoxoxox
advertisement

Comments

• I see you on the Hystersister site as I'm getting ready for my hysterectomy. :)

Your post about your kids touched my heart because I grew up with a mommy who was sick and in the hospital a lot too and the kids at school were very cruel about it, made fun of her and me. I had to grow up fast cuz I was the oldest of 4, Dad worked 3 jobs and I had to pick up the slack.

If I'm reading you right, your 12 yo boy does not want to go to school and tells you he is not feeling well? I would find out whats going on at school that is making him not want to go. Have your hubby have a teachers conference. find out if there is a problem there. Mine didn't want to go because he was being bullied.

Anyway back to your question..there are some good movies/books showing 12 yo boys standing up for themselves. Is he involved in TaeKwon Do, sports, Scouts or music or something to help build him up? Something he is good at?

I wish you luck...took me back to my own son who has ADHD and got teased a lot at age 12...kids can be merciless towards any perceived difference. I had to home school him for 6th grade because he developed colitis from the constant bullying, (why my boy didn't want to go to school.)

Hope you get to the bottom of your boy's symptoms. Maybe some short term counseling would help; sure would have helped my family. I had to wait til I grew up to get the counseling I needed. An ill family member is hard on the whole family.

Hugs, Deb
This discussion has been closed.