Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will a SCS work for me?

Dale002DDale002 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Hello Everyone.
After 8 years of pain,two failed sugeries and many injections, my doctor has recommended a SCS.
I have pain from my head to my toes due to cervical,thoracic and lumbar problems.
Has any one ever used the SCS for multiple pain areas?
Beside having redicupathy and chronic pains. I also have neuragia,which gives me severe pain, it comes with little warning and only last a few minutes. How effective would the SCS be for this type of pain?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health!

I am very sorry that you have been suffering so much. Has your doc talked about what type of SCS he would recommend? Of course the only true way to know is to have a trial.

I have a c-spine SCS and have two percutaneous leads to cover as much of my neck, shoulders, arms and hands as possible. On the plus side, I also get coverage in my buttocks, thighs, lower legs and feet. Depending on the amplitude I am running the SCS at, it will broaden the area of coverage. I do not get any thoracic coverage so to speak, it stops at the bottom of my scapulas and then makes the jump to my buttocks and on down. It's actually pretty cool!

There's a ton of information on SCS's on the forum, it should be easy to find. However, you are more than welcome to ask any and all questions and I and several others will do our best to answer them for you.

"C"
  • Thanks "C"
    It would be the ANS unit.
    Are you still on any meds?
    My pm doctor said that the scs could relief up to 50% of my pain in my back and 100% in my legs with two leads installed. I would also need some type of meds as well. The meds i take now just take the edge off. My surgeon said i may need a fusion on my neck but,would like to wait until the scs trial is done. he wants to see if i would get any relief in the neck area from the scs. What kind of retrictions do you have with your scs? Are you able to work?
  • Hi Dale,

I am capable of working, just not in my normal profession. Too much stress for someone with the muscular issues I have. So I do lots of things at home and volunteer a couple days a week.

The only real restrictions that I have now, are not being able to dive deeper than 33 FSW and a few different types of exercises and lower body stretches since I pulled my extension wires a bit. Other than that, I can do whatever I want and am capable of.

I take anti-seizure meds, anti-spasmotic and anti-inflammatory meds but nothing else for the pain. These are meds I will be stuck with for life according to the docs, just due to the nerve damage I've sustained.

I am able to adjust the SCS according to my level of discomfort and get about 75% coverage. It's the most phenomenal device I've ever encountered!

Try it you'll like it! (remember the commercial?)

"C"

• Hi this is my first post here about the SCS unit and my issues I feel that I will be doing it more often now that I have found this great site. Just a little insite about my issues.

L4-L5 & L5-S1 disk rupture, 3 failed back surg. Temp unit was at about 80% pain reduction, implant at about 50-60% but working with medtronics rep and adjusting the unit to try and get it better.

I have to agree with C that you need to have the trial done to see how it will work for you. I hope it can give you some pain reduction.

Unlike C i still have to take the pain meds ( wish I didnt have to ) but I am use to them and they just take the edge off to make it so I can get through the day. I have had a few issues with the unit ( didnt want to call them problems cause they are really user error ) I have to up the unit through out the day to keep the pain levels down ( i am a gov contractor so I work on ships and do alot of walking and climbing ) but back to the issue. When you talk to the Dr make sure you ask about any movement you do when the unit is on. I was at about 8.2 / 300 / 75hz and i went from a standing to a laying position and if it was not for my wife being there i would have had really big problems because moving from standing to laying made the unit feel like it was on overload sending a shock through my body that i could not handle. I was not able to move at all, but again this was user error not a problem with the unit. So please give the trial unit a try and see what it can do for you. I hope that what ever you and your Dr decide to do helps you with your discomfort and pain.

R.
    Adam
advertisement