Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Success through sugery (L4-L5 Discectomy)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I herniated a disc in Jan '05 and was dealing with severe pain off and on until November last year when I was off work for 9 weeks. I responded very well to conservative treatments and was pain free in the spring of this year. Slowly through the summer the pain returned and in late August I had to stop working again. I had a microdiscectomy on Sept 24 and it was the best decision I could have made. Last year when surgery was discussed I was totally against it for fear of making things worse. I made the decision for surgery because I was sick and tired of being in tremendous pain and conversative treatments had no effect any longer. Recovery has been up and down and quite strange at times. But now, 5 weeks post-op I'm doing fantastic. 99% of the pain is gone and the numbness in my foot is starting to fade. I'm going to start physical therapy next week and plan to return to work on modified duties (I'm an electrician). I say that for some cases surgery is an excellent choice. Don't let people scare you away from it.
advertisement

Comments

• My husband's story is much like yours - he found total relief - 10 years ago and still OK - from terrible sciatica by having spine surgery. I'm not so lucky, but I do think for many, many people surgery does work.

Glad to hear a success story! Rosa
  • hi I had sucess 6 yrs ago with discectomy on the left L4/5 and had fantastic recovery.This tuesday had a second discectomy this time on the RIGHT L4/5 and am home now 3 days later a little stiff but so far so good anyone else had two of these ops? Love to know if you had same results with the 2nd......hugs Janette
  • As someone who is contemplating surgery at L5/S1 it is so good to hear from people who have had positive results from having a discectomy.Anyone else with similar outcomes please post!
  • Ooops sorry....Double post!
  • Had my op 4 months ago now and so far so good.Total pain releif since i woke from the op.From severe sciatica down both legs unable to sleep,just hobbling around in agony to not a jot of pain.Delighted so far :D
  • maybe its just coincidence but i had my op here in australia and in general have not heard of many unsucessful discies being done over here.

However my UK uncle had this op about 3 times not a huge sucess and my Dad (UK) had back ops many many yrs ago without a lot of relief too.
    I had a fabulous surgeon (would marry him if poss hehehehe)and he fixed me now twice on differeent sides of the spine

Just maybe Aussie has better skilled people in this area?

Just seems the poorer results are coming from UK???????
  • Glad to here your surgery was successful. I have the exact problem (l4\l5) you had and i have waited 8 months to make the decision for surgery. I also did not want the doctors to make it worse..scared of the whole thing. i have numbness in my leg and pain. I am also tired dealing with the pain. How long was it before you went back to work and is your numbness totally gone yet?
  • I can offer you hope if you are considering a microdiscectomy at L4/L5. I injured my back almost 2 years ago by lifting 40 lb. bags out of my shopping cart and twisting and reaching out to put them in my trunk. ALL no-no's! With 5 months of physical therapy, I was able to reduce the sciatic pain to a "2" level. (Other conservative measures like anti-inflamatories, three cortisoid epidural shots,chiropractic, yoga did not work). Then the pain came back full force 4 months ago. I tried the PT again, but it only got worse. I cried (literally!) "uncle" and had the surgery done last week. While I still have the numb toes (and was told I might have this numbess as long as 2 years or forever), the sciatic pain is gone!
    If you have tried all the conservative measures, I suggest you get two opinions from surgeons (I used both a neurosurgeon and a orthorpedic surgeon who specialized in backs). Go with the one you feel most comforable with and who comes with glowing recommendations from your friends and/or other medical professionals. My chriropractor got permission from a patient to share her story with me. THAT was so reassuring to talk to someone who had it done!
advertisement