Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

continous pain and dr doesn't seem to do anything

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
As some of you know after 4 back surgeries, 2 fusion 1 lamenectoy, and removal of hardware, i have been in constant pain and now worse after my fusion in april. x-rays are normal but he does not want to do mri because he says too soon after fusion and mri will be hard to read and i am not sure you should have more surgery, will be 5 if i did. he thinks it is from going back to work too soon and post operative pain. he says it takes up to a year and a year and a half to recover from fusions. does anyone have advice of what to do? just sit and take it or demand an mri next month, 7 months post fusion. i still have butt pain that goes to knee but no pain in my surgical site, level 3. but my fusion on l4-5 done 7 years ago is where pain is. any pseudo drs out there with advice or if it has happened to you also. wake up every night with leg and butt pain. we also bought a new bed to see if it helps, doesn't. so pleeze dazzle me with good advice, should i stay or should i go?

jon
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear what you are going through; I too felt the same for similar circumstances.

I was told it would take time, around a year to year and a half before the nerve is suppose to heal after a fusion. I did have a CT/Myelogram around a month post op due to increased pain. I keep having flare after flare. I too was wondering recently if I needed an MRI.
    Activity definately increases my pain, and my activity level is low. I developed nerve pain below the knee down to my heel in the opposite leg, along with muscle spasms. Yes, I feel frustrated. It's only my 2nd surgery, and I'm scared I won't get no relief like the first. My NS spoke to me about an SCS trial and a morphine pump if I don't improve by next year. He'll most likely try the pump, since I had a bad experience with the stim.

I know it's hard to wait and see, especially in the pain you're in. I can't imagine going thru 4 surgeries. It's up to the doctor if he feels necessary to order an MRI, and I wish I could help you figure this out. Has any doctor ever talked about an SCS or pump with you. After all, it's been 4 surgeries and you still have problems.
  • thanks for the help. it's nice to know people are going through what i am. not that i am glad you have pain also. you know what i mean. thanks again for the support and hope you have a pain free day. i really don't want the pump because that is why i had the surgery in the first place. but it might be something to think about in the future
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • You know, I would try anything that might lessen the pain, but with the pump, it would be going thru more surgery. And I certainly understand not wanting invasive measures. I made the decision like you, to have the fusion, in hopes of fixing the problems. All the medication does is mask over some of the pain. I appreciate what I take, or else my life would be a living hell. My spouse would rather see me get relief than to be in bed crying in agony.
    We all have our personal reasons, and is good to know that there are different treatments we can choose. I hope you are having a better day too. Distract yourself from the pain if you can. Take your meds, use whatever modality you want (ice, heat, etc) watch a movie. Do whatever it takes to ride out the storm. I take comfort thru hard times knowing that I'm not alone in this thing; we're here supporting one another.
  • it helps that i work everyday eventhough i don't feel like getting up, showered and dressed and driving to work. i teach high school so i have to deal with some goofy guys that don't care about school or whatever. no concept of working for a living. parents are to blame. well off soap box but working and keeping my live as normal as possible helps. when i get home, i collapse on couch and take nap. i could not stay home on disability at all. it would drive me crazy and spare me, people, the i can't work sermons. i did not mean that. it would drive me nuts if i had to stay home. i would find something to do. work, meds, family helps with pain and depression
    thanks again
    jon
  • So sorry that you are having to deal with all this. I don't understand what the big deal is about having an MRI. I mean really, why should the Doctor care. If it gives you peace of mind and its what you want then you should have it done.

I understand about staying home. I can't do it either, it drives me crazy to stay home. Sometimes I wish I were more of the type that could do that but I'm not. I am lucky in that I am self employed and can rest and retreat pretty much anytime during the day when the pain gets too bad.

I don't know how the heck you handle being around kids all day and to be in pain to boot. My hats off to you..

Take care
  • when one is in pain. I'm sure being a teacher you are standing on your feet all day. Yeah that makes the back feel better. I too am on my feet all day as I cashier at a nationwide lumber store and have to always have a cheerful smile for contractors and all other customers. They can always tell when I am having a really bad day. My husband and I went on vacation last week. The last day left leg gave out and I sprained my left ankle. At least it was the last day.
    I have not had any hardware. I can't fathom the pain you must have standing in front of teenagers all day 8} . My neuro told me at my last visit is SCS as I am not a candidate for another surgery at this time. I don't want that. I don't know enough about it.I know it's hard to concentrate when you are moaning inside with pain. Keep hanging in there. Someday we may have the opportunity to put this all behind us =D>
  • I stay at home, and I go thru boredom and frustration. I want to go out and look around in a nearby store, but the pain rules what I do. Last night the pain got horrible, and I have yet to get out of bed. It hurts way too much.
    I admire you guys for working still, despite your pain. Jon, I would be screaming at kids in my state; You're my hero ( I have 2 kids in middle school). I appreciate what you do. You and MissPiggy are making a sacrifice and a personal choice to keep on working. I think it's helpful for self esteem, and you guys are trying to control your lives, and not have pain dictate it.
    My goal is to get out of bed today. I'm still waiting for my meds to kick in. You guys have a wonderful weekend :H
  • i appreciate all of the support from my pain friends. all we can do is hang in there and support each other, luck and pain free to all spine poster friends
    jon
  • im just stopping by your post to show support.
    i really don't have any advice or ideas.
    just keep up the fight and keep going B) B)

its tuff i know, i live it everyday.
    i remember all to well what it was like to get up to go to nursing school and drag myself for almost a year and then got let go from the course :''(
    the mornings were the tuffest ever. #o #o

i know im going to be going through a very major serious op soon and don't know what the heck is going to be done with my pain control. i sure hope those vascular surgeons work with me so i'm comfortable and can heal.

i hope you can get a MRI at some point. i always call my doc and say I WANT IT. guess im cranky with them :D
    but all docs have their opinions as we know...
    hang in there!!!!
    terri O:) O:) O:)
  • dr is not against it per se . he says it takes a while for thing to show up after fusion surgery so things might not show up. also i have had 4 surgeries and he wonders would it be worth while for me to have another not unless i absolutely need it. so if something did show up, then what? i don't think surgery is worth it unless i have a MAJOR PROBLEM with back. i agree. so monday, back to work, take meds and think about retiring. i will be 62 in may so i have maybe 1-2 years left. this is a reason besides major pain and partial paralysis that i had fusion in april. wanted to fix thing enough so i could retire and work. remember:
    i'm rough and tough and hard to bluf, i work all day and retire for stuff-$$$$-
    take care
    =)) :D =D> :SS
    thank god for football. it keeps me honest. i am a san jose state supporter and we are having a great season so maybe a bowl in san diego where wife's family lives. i believe when i retire, san diego, atlanta, or hawaii will be my place. i might go back to surfing again. i did 5 years ago when we went.
    kawabunga dudes and hang loose dudes and dudetts.
    :-C
    the dude
    or my students say the dud
    jon :H
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.