Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help In Reading My MRI..Please!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all! My OS has suggested a fusion at L5/S1 after two lami/disc. that didn't work due to reherniations. I received a written copy of my last MRI report (10/10) and if anyone could help me with some translation...I would appreciate it :)

1. L5/S1 level has moderately extensive post-operative scarring around the thecal sac and nerve roots on the left side.
2. Degenerative changes seen in the posterior facets at L4-5 with grade I spondylolisthesis. Loss of signal at this level and bulging of L4-5 disc into the left neural foramen with some mild annular tear.
3. Disc space narrowing is seen at L3-4 with a minimal bulging disc. L4 may have sacralized L5 level????
4. There are some enhancing type I marrow changes seen around L5/S1 which is new and presumably related to surgery.
5. There is mild levoconvex scoliosis present.

???????? 8} 8} 8} 8} @) @) @) @) Thanks for any help!!!

Melissa
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya,

Yeed to remember that following a surgical intervention you will have an abnormal MRI and some scar tissue is to be expected and normal - otherwise you'd have a gaping hole, if you see where I am coming from.

Loss of signal = disc is not as hydated as it "could" be but this rather depends on your age and other pathology,
    The Thecal sac is the bit that carries your spinal nerves, degenerative changes - this is a loose term used poorly (imho)and may just relate to your age (so don't put too much on that...we all have "degenarative changes")Marrow changes - Never heard of that

But none of these things can be judged in isolation and as the others have said, the important part here = What does your doctor say? It is they who interprte the MRI and your symptomology into a treatment plan.
    Good Luck.

I am not a doctor - like the others, another patient!
  • Thanks for your reply and info. :) I really appreciate it! OS is suggesting a fusion :S
  • Maxi, had your OS seen this MRI yet when he recommended fusion L5-S1? It sounds as if you have some pretty big problems at L4-5 as well. I am wondering if you need a two level. The spondylolisthesis means your L4 has slipped up to one-quarter (or less) of the way off of your L5, presumably from the degeneration since there is no mention of pars fractures. Sacralization means the L5 has fused naturally to the sacrum, so I don't really understand how L4 can be sacralized since it doesn't attach to the sacrum :/ Let us know what your surgeon says. Good-luck, Sue
  • Sue,
    Thank you so much for your info!! :) Actually, yes, this is the MRI he looked at when he recommended the fusion. I have my appointment with him on Friday, so hopefully I will get all the details then :SS See, I was unaware about problems at L4-5 so thank you for bringing that to my attention. That is why I posted this....just to get some insight ;) I'm glad you explained what the "spondy" meant...I just did not know :S Gonna ask some major questions on Friday, especially about the sacrilization issue!!!! THANKS for the help and I'll keep you posted.

Melissa >:D< >:D< >:D<
advertisement