Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are Roller Coasters out of the question?

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Do you think I can still ride on a roller coaster after a two level fusion (assuming I do fuse)???

I was laying on the floor in front of the fire last night reading when the thought that I might not be able to do this again hit me hard. I don't know why this might bother me more than other restrictions, but it does!

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• i had c1 c2 fusion and i think i will remain grounded. :))(
  • We have a member who road it all at Disneyland last summer post fusion, I can't remember his name. You know all the rides have those warnings for spine patients. I think I too shall remain on the ground. I got it out of my system last year with tower of terror, that was enough for me :)
  • There is no way I would get on a rollercoaster now! And I have loved riding them all my life. I don't want to take the chance on messing anything up after the surgery or maybe irritating another area of the spine.
  • Bungee jumping is out of the question then??? =)) =)) =))

I agree though that it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've been wanting to ride my motorcycle for over a year now. Doc gave me the OK back in July, but as much as I wanted to ride again, I couldn't muster up enough courage just yet. Who knows I may never ride again... :S :S :S
  • Maybe you can go for a calm ride in the Spring? I know how some of you guys love those bikes =)). I have a couple of friends who have Harleys and they have let me ride with them a couple of times (not since surgery, though). You take care!
  • I have a Gold Wing. =D>
  • I talked to my Doctor about this and he said 1 year after surgery would be fine. It will be almost 1 1/2 years when I try, and I will try smooth riding one first and see how it goes.

Maggue
  • I just got back from my first post surgical car ride....I think I'm going to vote no way on the roller coasters. I never realized before how much the car stopping and starting strains the neck.
  • I'm with you Stephanie....I LOVE roller coasters. I had my 2nd fusion (L4-S1) just two months ago....but in the months leading up to my surgery (at that point just fused from L5-S1) I rode the coaster all summer long. And I don't regret it lol. I had such a great time, and it didn't hurt me one bit. I think as long as you are feeling just fine AND YOU ARE FUSED ALREADY, a roller coaster shouldn't shake you up too much that you would hurt yourself.

My opinion though is....if you can't get back to life as you want it, why bother with getting fixed in the first place? I got tired of wrapping myself in bubble wrap outta fear of hurting myself again. Life is meant to be lived. And ya know what? Even if it means being sore for a day or two after....I'm STILL gonna ride the coasters ;)....AFTER I fuse lol.
  • Last time I rode a roller coaster I was in agony for days...so I would have voted no even without a fusion ;))
    I like to quote the infamous wise Daffy Duck when it comes to matters of extreme agony....

"I don't like pain, it hurts me" :D
  • No Way! After cervical fusion there is no way I will ever go on any roller coaster again. Not even a kiddie one. No ride is worth it. I have been through a lot and don't want to go back.
  • I would say that if you have fully fused and fully recovered, and all other things being equal then why not? My surgeon has told me that those kinds of things are all OK for me to do again. Even playing golf, which I thought would be a no no with the twisting.

I think that the biggest issue for most of us is the psychological barrier tho. While I have fused and healed fully, and love roller coasters, I think that the psychological barrier - the thought of 'possibly somehow doing some damage' - would stop me from going on one.

We have had fusion patients here return to ride roller coasters, ride mountain bikes, surf, play golf, play soccer, so it is by no means out of the question - but, talk to your surgeon about it before attempting any of these again :)
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• last time I rode a coaster was last Thanksgiving at Sea World in San Antonio. it was soooooo much fun and I hurt like hell the rest of the day. I thought that was probably my last coaster. :( but, when I'm totally fused, hmm... it will be tempting for sure! why not? I'd be solid! no rattling w/ bad discs! of course I will ask my doc. but, I'm thinking he'd say yes. :)
  • I asked my surgeon about any permanent restrictions after my fusion and he specifically said that after I was fully healed there would be no problem with riding roller costers, etc.

Now I am going to Disney the week before my surgery and I have decided that I will not be riding any of the big roller coasters while I am there. My back is just way to sensative right now. (Plus, my little one can't ride them so I can be the volunteer to do the kiddie rides with her.)
  • That I did here. Wow, lots of your like roller coasters! My daughter is 8 years old, and she is a bit of a thrill seeker. I have always loved coasters and SO want to be able to ride the really scary ones with her in a couple of years. I will speak with my Doc about this when the time comes.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I had a 2 level fusion l4-S1 Aug 2007. Since then, I have played golf, gone bowling, and ridden roller coasters before and after my hardware removal. The only rides that give me pause are the 4d rides where the floor or seat shakes widely and unpredictable (I still have pretty advanced arthritis that does not take kindly to that).

Go live your life, what will happen is going to happen.

Dave
  • thats what i am love to do things that juice me up (guess thats why i chose to serve in the military) i dont think ill be jumping out of any planes again but ill definetely try to get to the amusement parks or snowboarding. I dont want to stop being who i am because of my injuries and as soon as im able will resume all the things i love taking it easy at first of course..lol
  • I rode Kong at Marine Wrold in No. Calif. in 2002 and knew as soon sa I got off that something was wrong. What followed was two years of neck pain shoulderblade pain, then down my left arm. Lost my strength and could hardly open a bottle of water. I now have an artificial disc Level C5-6... I would never get on one again...A three minute ride would never be worth all the pain... :''(
  • I would think a lot of it would have to do with what type of fusion you had. With ALIF you have more surface space to fuse than with a PLIF, generally. Also, what kind of hardware you have in there along with you. For me, my hardware is easily felt inside and out. I don't think I'd be able to ride a rollercoaster, just because the shifting would irritate the areas around the screws. I know some people seem to not believe me when I say I can feel my screws from the outside, but I can, and my doctor said I can, too. And she operated on me, so.. Lol. So yeah, I think it depends on the person. I'm 22, so I don't know yet what I plan on doing. I am sure I will go to 6 flags next year, and if I am fused and not having problems with hardware, maybe I'll try the kiddie rollercoaster first, Lol. I had such a great experience post fusion that maybe I have a lot of confidence. I can't wait to see how things turn out, if they fuse well and everything. I hope you are able to continue most of the things you love after surgery :)
  • i grew up going to marine world im actually from vallejo california now stationed in kansas. man that brings back memories i used to love going to marine world..lol
  • Cause I love riding coaster and the like. I would never bungee, even if I had a perfect back, because I think it is a totally stupid idea. But, I think about hang gliding and sky diving quite a bit.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • downinmyheart said:
    Cause I love riding coaster and the like. I would never bungee, even if I had a perfect back, because I think it is a totally stupid idea. But, I think about hang gliding and sky diving quite a bit.

One Love,

Stephanie
    Even if my Dr. told me I could I wouldn't. I know my body much better than my Doctor. IMO they put the warning signs there for a reason.
    Good luck to you if you decide to ride
  • I agree, the warnings are there for a purpose. I also like to "push the envelope" and do things I shouldn't. Sometimes it is self destructive, but more often than not it is just fine.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Log on to Cedarpoint.com

You can ride a virtual roller coaster or two from the safety of your computer chair. I get my "thrill down the hill" with my icepack firmly secured to my back!

Have fun and let others enjoy the real ride. Virual reality is enough for my aching back!
    Cheers!
  • I was wondering about things like rollercoasters and other things after my Microdisectomy. I am eight weeks post-op right now. How long should a person wait before...

Running?
    Riding a horse?
    Having a baby?
    Is it true your disks are at risk when you fly?

Thanks,

Haylie
  • After a MicroD I wouldn't worry at all about roller coasters. I'd wait at LEAST 12 weeks, though, if I were you. But this is also assuming the rest of your spine is stable.
  • tears to my eyes.

But good luck to those who can. I hear some ppl get back to skiing and stuff.

I wouldn't do it for anything.
  • Of doing it live, I do think that is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • After a micro D I think you should be fine.

• After going through the surgery for my two level lumbar fusion, I don't think that coasters would be good for me. I am over three months out now and I cannot even jump just a little bit without consequences, at the moment.

Just recently I told my 8 year old daughter that I would probably not be having any more babies since my back is screwy. She says to me "Mom, don't say that you are making me sad and I feel like I want to cry." I told her that I would most likely not be able to ride a coaster with her, and she did cry. Boo hoo like. It totally broke my heart, and it amused me a bit too. Not her heartache of course, but her reaction to those two things.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement