Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Psysical & Metal Eval

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Health Insurance Issues
As some may know, I applied for SSD in July. I just got 2 letters stating I have appointments with 2 Dr's for SSD. One physical and a mental evaluation. Who pays for these Evals? And is this a good sign that my application is moving along? Im doing this all by myself and my head is spinning. I have no idea what Im doing.
advertisement

Comments

• I would think they would pay for it,i never had to go to one when i applied for ssi....
  • Are you on SSD Bigcat? Is it a good or bad sign I need to go for these eval?
  • and they pay for it. Hard to say if it is good or bad but most people do get denied at first and then you must appeal. At the appeal level you need to get a lawyer. If you have questions, ask JeauxBert. She used to work with ss and has been really good about answering questions for us. Good luck.
  • :) it is a good sign your application is moving along. :) you want them to get their doctors to see you as they have alot of "pull" in your case! you may be denied at first but any and all trips to the doctors they send you to are covered. this is a good sign. just don't be at your best when you go in!!!! =)) Jenny :)
  • A woman from SSD called here ( at my job) and left a message about me working and that she would call back. Im pretty sure I will be denied because I went back to work on Sept 29th. I has to, we were going to loose the house and I have 2 young children. I did call my local SSD rep to advise her that I am going back to work. I make about $2200.00/month. When Im denied then I get an attorney right? I really cant sit for more than 10 min, Its aweful and no amount of pain meds are working.
  • If I am not mistaken, attorneys frown on the whole "going back to work" thing.

BUT, SSA (or rather the DIsability Office - which is DDS) considers this as a "trial work period" and they cannot presume you will be able to keep up this pace consistently.

Things are taken into consideration:

How many hours a day are you able to work?
    What is your rate of pay?
    Can you consistently work 40 hours without interruption from your physical/mental conditions?
    Will you be able to work this job for an extended period of time without interruption?

The way SSA/DDS see this is that - hey - you're trying to work, which is admirable, or it may be looked at as you trying to "get over" on SSA. BUT, at least YOU notified your disability rep that you were returning to work. Just make sure they understand whether it was out of financial necessity rather than you being physically able to do so; be sure they understand too whether it is increasing your pain levels, necessitating taking additional medication thereby affecting your ability to concentrate and stay focused. I know somedays I can't focus on anything BUT my pain levels.

Now, if you can work an 8 hour day/40 hour week on a consistent basis (that phrase keeps coming up, don't it?) , then, yeah - I'd say your claim will most likely be denied. HOWEVER, if you have to stop work, say, after that 5th or 6th month and have to file a whole new claim, then SSA/DDS can (and sometimes will) consider all the information from this current claim when making their decision on your next claim, if God forbid you have to file one. It would show how your condition has progressed into something severe enough to prevent you from earning gainful employment.

Good luck, honey. Keep us posted, okay?

Jeaux
    :B
  • OMG has the pain increased! I lay down on the floor every 10 min or so or stand and try to type. My meds have increased and Im getting a 2nd epi injection. Im walking a thim line now at work ( my boss is pissed off at me for taking FMLA and god forbid making him do some work) and its a big deal to get to Dr appointments and such. I also have no sick time or vacation. I really only went back to keep our house and feed my children and keep them in school. And I honestly dont know how much longer I can keep this up, certainly not until I retire Im 40 now. ( feel like in about 97)
advertisement