Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

why are doctors ignoring our pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone im new here,

Hello everyone im new here, glad to find this site. i have been having chronic pain for 5 years now.started with lower back pain, L 3-4 disc bulge, multi level degerative spondylosis effecting L 4-5, disc buldge L 5-S1 with some sclerosis. I been seeing the same family doctor for 5 yrs. he put me on vicodan hp, pain was really bad due to a fall on ice at that time. moved me up really quick to percocet, oxycotin, then said h would take me off after 1 year so he said the only way off was methadone, oh my i was only taking 1 or 2 pain pills a day so his dose was to high so i didnt want to take them, helped the pain of course i was in another world though and didnt realize it until friends became concerned. so i stopped one day after about a month of taking methadone. then i fainted i didnt know what the heck withdraw was and that these pills would do this, i went to the hospital and they detoxed me there. now my doctor when i came out put me back on vicodan again a week later. by the way he seems to give anyone vicodan even if they dont have proof found this out later. well this is my story when my pain gets worse some weeks especially now i have a 2 yr old and im 40 yrs old. went in with neck and shoulder arm pain same doc. he gave me percocet right before he went on vacation.no problem to get them ever before maybe 5 times a yr when vicodan dont work for more severe pain. he send me for a mri for my neck and shoulder my results were C5-6 HERNIATION INDENTING THE THECAL SAC? C6-7 ABNORMAL LESION LEFT NUERAL FOREMAN possible disc rupture not a tumor,straighning of the cervical spine. highly reccommend contrast mri repeat. getting done soon. now the shoulder. mild arthropathy, subdeltoid bursitis and bicep synovitis, a possible tear of the anterosuperior labrum. rotary cuff tear and other stuff i dont understand anhy of this and i dont think my family doctor does either.i am in horrific pain went the3re crying cant move my shoulder explained i have a 2 yr old and he said im taking vicodan thats enough im climbing to high up the pain medicine mountain. mind you this is the same doctor who gave me methadone before mri's. im n ot a drug addict. well he told me when he was on vacation someone stole his prescription pad and the fda is investigating him and he can give me stronger meds.and hes worried about his liscense. well my sister went there a week later has no pain and never had a test said her legs hurt and he gave her vicodan. and 3 other friends she sent there, taking the pills to get high. i told my dr not to give them to my sister that she is abusing them and shes not in pain but he didnt listen. why do you think my doctor is making me suffer now and telling me to learn how to deal with my pain and go off all pain meds while he is giving oput vicodan like crazy. is percocet that big of a deal now a days? i need to find a new doctor whos understanding but i always seen him for the last 5 years. anyone out there have an idea what may be going on with this doctor. he told me he likes me and he got rid of half his patients for abusing meds but i never ever abused i always used less and went to his pharmacies and had them send over all my records. i dont feel comfortable with him now i feel like hes treating me like his other patients he made into addicts that dont even have pain.

sincerely dawn
advertisement

Comments

• If you feel your doctor is ignoring you or not treating your pain,then you should get a new doctor,you have to be your own advocate....
  • absolutely correct. You may want to find a pain management doc. Have you seen a surgeon with your MRI results? I would not want to continue seeing a doc that was giving scripts out to addicts. That is one of the things that make it so difficult for chronic pain patients to get proper treatment. Find a new doc and you may actually get a better solution to your problems. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Second and third opinions are in order.

My sister became addicted to Lortab as the result of her back injury...they kept on pushing pills to shut her up (her injury was workmen's compensation) and they finally put 2+2 together when she was getting scripts from 2 different doctors and taking 2 months worth of Lortab in a month.

That, coupled with the fact that I have ZERO tolerance for pain medication (I am hypersensitive and a HALF of a Lortab for me almost makes me comatose for 24 hours), I sought out the PM clinic FIRST...so I wouldn't be turned into a junkie, too.

My sister is doing much better now, but it took YEARS of support and finally, her finding her own will again through the clouds of the pain meds to get off that junk.

I wish you the best...but PLEASE, get another opinion!
  • THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE, I WENT TO THE ORTHOPEDIC WITH MY MRI'S OF MY NECK, STRAIGHT TO A NUEROSURGEON I GO HE SAID. THE DISC RUPTURE IN THE CERVICAL SPINE IS BLOCKING THE NERVE ROOTS SEVERELY. HE SAID NO PHYSICAL THERAPY UNTILL THE NUEROSURGEON LOOKS AT MY MRI;S. SAYS ABNORMAL MRI C8 RADIOPATHY ON THE REFERRAL? BUT MY RUPTURE IS IN C6-7 I THINK THE OTHER LEVELS HE DIDNT EVEN GO INTO HE SEEMED VERY CONCERNED WITH THE FINDINGS MATCHING MY PHYSICAL EXAM AND SAID TO CALL RIGHT AWAY. WELL I CANT GET AN APPOINTMENT FOR MONTHS. SO WHAT THE HECK AM I SUPPOSE TO DO UNTIL THEN. I CAN BARELY TURN MY HEAD CANT SLEEP, IN SEVERE PAIN. WELL I SEE THE ABOVE MENTIONED DOCTOR ON THURSDAY. AND I ASKED THE ORTHO THE BIG QUESTION MY DOCTOR KEEPS SAYING YOUR ADDICTED TO MEDICINE AND EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE TAKING IT , IT CAUSES MUSCLE SPASMS AND GIVING YOU MORE PAIN. WELL DOCTOR VICODAN, THE ORTHO SAID AND SHOWED ME MY MRI AND XRAY'S HE TOOK MONDAY THAT I HAVE STRAIGHTENING OF THE CERVICAL SPINE DUE TO MUSCLE SPASMS. MMMM UM.. EXCUSE ME...lol DUE TO THE INJURY OF THE DISC RUPTURE THE BODY'S NATURAL PROTECTECTION KNOWS THERE IS AN INJURY SO THE MUSCLE SPASM AROUND THE INJURY TO PROTECT IT FROM MORE DAMAGE... NOT FROM THE FEW PILLS I TAKE. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE MUSCLE SPASMS. DRUGS OR INJURY?
  • My sister was loaded on drugs, and they never mentioned she was having more pain from spasms.

Actually, I would think if you withdrew from the drugs, THEN you would start having spasms, because the relaxing affect would not be there.

Doesn't sound right to me.
  • I have them constantly,all along my spine.My PM said that he can feel them and told me that when I wasn't even feeling the spasms..I had taken my meds,and even my muscle relaxer.My appt. was in the morning and I always take my meds as soon as I get up.

I've never heard of vicodin causing muscle spasms.. :??

Here is a good link to read for cervicle issues..and there are several links along the way that answered a lot of my questions.Your neck and shoulder problems sound similar to mine so I thought this could help you better understand.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease/cervical-degenerative-disc-disease
  • hi- this is snuggles. i am new to the site. i am 45 years old i have always had aggravating back pain until may of 2008 severe pain started and didnt let up. had a mri done. have degenerative disc disease. after jumping through hoops until november 17th- i had surgery a tlif of L-5 S-1. it has been a long recovery. i feel very tight at my lower back where surgery was. after having surgery, walking with a walker, then physical therapy i am scared thinking about going back to work!! i didnt realize there were that many people out there in so much pain also!! thanks for having the site!!
  • Welcome to S~H :H

There are others here that have gone through/are going through the same thing(going back to work after surgery),and I think most feel a little apprehensive-some even a bit fearful of what it will be like.You are not alone :)))
advertisement