Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical collar people read this (personal experience)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:)ok . . . so i went to see NS today and he clarified so much today for me. i thought this tidbit was neat.

i have recently developed these sharp shooting pains that start at the base of my skull and shoot up to the front. i was really scared when i felt this. it hurt real bad and of course i believed i was coming down with some other nerve thing. it was getting worse.

i took the brace off and noticed that i have developed a huge crease across the back of my head from the collar!!

i have been wearing this miami j hard collar for almost two months now (faithfully). apparently all of the above symptoms are from the collar.

the NS told me that there are two nerves in the back of your head and the pressure from the collar is causing the shooting pain.

i said "wow . . .i should remove the collar immediately". he wasn't having it. said the pain would go away once collar was removed dec 04.
advertisement

Comments

• have the same doctor as I do....
  • u are stuck in the collar too for three months right. .. .
  • still in my collar since August 26,,,, have to wean my self now... just started PT
  • I felt the same thing. I think I have a callous too on my head where the collar was hitting the base of my head.
  • I'm out of my collar, I had the Aspen; a little less intense I think than the Miami J. I found that if the back section hit a certain way, I'd get intense pain in the area right in front of my ear -- the little cartilage bump. Weird huh? At first I thought I was getting a cold and and earache, but when I removed the collar, the pain disappeared.
  • Hey Roxy, and everyone else!
    First of all some of you may know me by my former screen name "Chrissy1311" I amnow going by Misty!

Anyway, after my ACDF C4-6 on Spet 3, 2008 I was in an Aspen collar for about 8 weeks. I too would wake in the middle of the night with my entire scalp and back of my neck numb and tingly...sometimes it would burn reall really bad as well.

The doc did not tell me about all the nerves back there, but said this is a common complaint of folks who are in any type of hard collar.

I also had an indentation on the back of my head from the collar.

Roxy..If I recall corectly you have been or were in that collar for a whole lot longer then the average ACDF type surgery...You had a lot more going on there if my memory is any good!

I do have to say that over the time and process of transitioning myself from the hard to soft collar, I did have to sortof ween myself off.

Even to this day at almost 4 months post op I still carry a soft collar around with me becasue sometimes my head seems to get to heavy for my neck.

Recently I started PT and have not gone to far with it yet, so not only have I not been in it long enough to strengthen any mucels, I also get tired and it does cause me pain in another area than my neck. But the good thing is that my neck no longer burn and causes arm weakness.

The only thing I have now is sorness of muscles but it seems to be a deeper type of pain in my musculature of theneck.
    The other problem is the burning in and around the T4-7 area and the scapular area...not sure what that is all about.

I noticed in an x-ray that it looks as if the verts are pressed together and it may be causeing some of that pain.

I digress....

Roxy you have just been in this deal for a really long long time. I don't remember everything about your story...as I slowed down on my posting because of school and other things, but do want to say thanks for all the support you willingly granted me...It meant a lot to me to have your support and the smae from many others...

Misty/C
  • I just notice that my aspen collar is causing the pain you describe especially when I am walking or doing a lot of movement. My doctor put me back to work right after 6 weeks and I have had a hard time with the pain. Has anyone gotten any other recommendation. Right now I refuse to wear the collar but have to work with kids so have not choice and the Dr. has of little help.
    il
advertisement