Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Giving encouragement to others

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I just wanted to express something that happened at the gym today. So I was on the exercise ball at the gym today. I was doing one of the exercises my physical therapist showed me how to do. Do not just try this on your own but I sit on the ball and roll down onto my back and then up to my shoulders and then lift one leg while keeping my back straight and my transverse abdominus muscle tight. I had major training at my pt to do this safely. I transfer back from one leg to the other.

So today as I was doing this at the gym and holding my leg up and out and keeping my back straight one of the personal trainer guys while showing someone around said I looked like someone in a Jane Fonda exercise video. Sorry don't want to seem like I am bragging but I went from not hardly being able to walk most of the summer to this I just feel so proud and happy that I am doing so well.

The exercise is hard to describe so please don't just try doing it. My PT spend quite a bit of time showing me how to do it without hurting myself.

I just wanted to express the fitness level I am at and how well I am doing to give others hope that it will get better and you can get better.
advertisement

Comments

• That's great. You're looking good! I'm glad things are looking up for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks things are going well now. I do worry about my future and how long my disc is going to hold out and if I'll need fusion at some later date but right now I am doing great. When I am at the gym you would never know I just had spine surgery months ago but I also at the same time do not push myself really hard. It's all controlled and careful just like I was taught in PT.

I can lift weights in a careful manner like I was taught. I see so many people jerking at the weight lifting equipment and risking injury every time I am there. Just do everything careful and slow is my advise. I just hope I can keep myself healthy and pain free for as long as possible and my disc holds out for a really long time.

The exercise ball I use almost every day at home or at the gym. It's great for core strength to protect the spine. That's really the biggest thing I do for my back. I just go to the gym a couple times a week and that strengthens my legs that have been weak from injury and my arms but the exercise ball really is my key to strengthening my spine and core muscles.
  • But I'm glad that you are doing such a good job of it.Good for you!

• Thanks that looks like a dancing alien..lol. I've done a little dancing too in my living room and every time I wonder the next day if my disc is going to blow but so far so good. Just doing good here and wanted others to know and have encouragement. Just for everyone to know you can't just throw caution to the wind.

If I walk too fast on the treadmill I still get twinges or if I turn up the resistance to high on the exercise bike I'll get twinges also but I can do most things but I have to be careful and always will. Don't think you can go out and just be like you were before back surgery. You'll always have to be careful.

Just to you all from me be careful you can get well but there always will be boundries and stay within those boundries and you'll be fine. I guess it really depends though on your spinal injury though. I just have the L5-S1 herniation and it seems to have improved even after another herniation.
  • :) you should be proud of yourself. <:P i have an exercise ball i use for core strength training but no funny moves like you are doing!! =)) just keep pushing yourself and you will be well past the road to recovery!! =D> telling your story is one way to show success!! <:P all the best!! Jenny :)
  • Wow! Sounds like an exercise I just stated with my PT on the ball. My feet felt like cement and I could not lift them. So, power to you! I will be there soon I hope, can't wait. My surgery was on 9/9/08 laminectomy and discectomy at L4-L5. The ball always looked like so much fun but is harder than it looks.

Enjoy your strong body and the freedom to move.
  • Oh yeah when I first started that exercise I felt really weak too. I've been using the ball for months now and I'm feeling much stronger. When my PT first showed me some of the exercises I would laugh and go well I'll try. I could barely do just one of each thing it was so challenging but now I do 20. It's amazing how much better your balance on the ball is when you get stronger too.

And yes the ball is very challenging. It gets so much easier once you have been doing it for months though.

Here is a picture of the exercise. I am in this position and then lift one leg up and stick it straight out. I do move over say to the right if I am balancing on my right leg and then move over to the left when balancing on my left leg. When my pt started me on this exercise at first I would just roll down into this position and push up on my toes 5 times and then roll back up. Once I had done it for a few weeks she started having me lift my leg up. I couldn't do it for 1 second when I first tried it. Now I hold the position for 5 seconds on each leg do a set of 10 and then do a different ball exercise and then do another set of 10. Also while doing this I have to keep my butt straight out like it is in the picture do not let it drop down when lifting the leg up that's the hardest part. It really works the butt and lower back.

Is this like what you are doing gardener?

• We all have different capabilities and your transition and the progress you made is fantastic and even surprised you, we all need to surmount that idea of reviewing what we think we cannot do and use the same motivators pacing and adaptation to new experiences for the benefit of our overall wellbeing.

I cannot walk far now but many things I can do even with that restriction, I have not let it taint what other things are possible.

Take care.

John
  • hey mchelle
    that is really great. i had my c1 c2 fused due to congenital thing. i was training for a marathon prior to my injury. i had my surgery sept 9. i am eight weeks post op.

i think i will finally make it back to the gym in december. i am still in the neck brace and i find it is not worth the membership fees to go back.

i do stationary bike-- my mountain bike lifted up on a trainer- and walk right now.

kinda scared to lift weights as of yet. hopefully december will be a more active month for me.

how far post op are u??
  • I'm almost 6 months post op. I just had a microD though no fusion. Just from reading the board I think most doctors recommend being fused before starting PT. It's probably different depending on the case though and what kind of hardware was used.

I understand about you being scared to lift weights. What does your doctor say about it? I would never have started lifting weights on my own. You probably know what you are doing but I did not and surely would have hurt myself if I tried to do it on my own. The training from my PT on how to do it properly for someone with spine problems really helped make it safe for me. I also cannot just do any weight machine. My PT gave me a list of which type of weight machines are safe for me.

I went swimming yesterday at the gym. This is weird. I tried swimming under water but as soon as I get under water I float back up very fast. I'm thinking maybe my goggles are making me float up. I've never had that happen before and I wasn't going to take off my goggles and ruin my contacts trying it out.

I also have been swimming some without my kickboard. If I just keep my face in the water I can kick and just padddle some with my arms without twisting my spine all over. I did try the front crawl just for a few seconds. Man that really twists the spine around a lot I won't be doing that anymore just wanted to try it.

I also was going to try doing a hand stand feeling silly yesterday. I never did since I kept floating up to the top so fast immediately when just trying to go under water.

advertisement