Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why a psych eval for SCS?

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Why does one need a psych eval to be approved for the SCS?
advertisement

Comments

• This whole pain thing really interests me.

I don't know but I am sure that someone here will offer up the answers.

I do know that some ppl need their pain, have a real pschological grasp to the pain (perhaps more than physical) and it is my guess that those patients will not do very well with such interventions.
    You must have met them, you offer them a life line, suggestions and they blow them all away.

Glass half full / empty??

You need to be on the up, all the time with this back pain. Hard, harsh and true. Can't turn the corner to depression.
  • To make sure that you aren't suffering from a major depression, to make sure that you aren't suffering from any major psychological disorders that could be contributing/causing you pain complaints, and to ensure that you don't have any false hopes or expectations that the implant is going to 'cure' your pain (that you understand it will only help to a certain extent to alleviate major daily pain, and decrease the amount and frequency of narcotic pain meds that you have to take).

I had a psych exam before I was allowed to go forward with my Pain Pump implant. It is actually usually required by insurance rather than doctors. It's a very straight forward thing (usually just a one time, 1 hour or so visit). I thought that being that having something implanted into my body was a pretty major step/decision, it was nice just to have validation that it was a decision that I was in a qualified state of mind to be making (especially with all the meds I was on at the time!) :)))

Good luck!
  • I RECENTLY HAD A PSYCH EVALUATION FOR A SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR AND THE PSYCHOLOGIST TOLD ME WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR. HE SAID THAT THEY DID NOT WANT TO FIND MAJOR DESPRESSION AS THAT MAY SKEW THE RESPONSE TO THE STIMULATOR. THEY WERE LOOKING FOR HYPOCONDRIACS AND (THIS ONE I FOUND FASCINATING) DRUG ADDICTS. APPARENTLY, THERE ARE PEOPLE SO ADDICTED TO PAIN MEDICATION THAT THEY WILL GO THROUGH UNNECESSARY PROCEDURES/ SURGERIES TO GET DRUGS.
    SUSAN.
  • everything said makes very clear sense.

so i cannot add more to what was already said..

so just go through the eval. don't worry about a thing.
    they can pick out the bad from the good.....
    make sure you have all your records and test to back you up.
    (im just saying that i bring them all over or have the doc fax them) tests revealing issues,surgery etc would be like a sure thing to me.

hang in there!!! i hope you get the well deserved relief yo need. i hope all works out in the long run, cause boy right now i wish a dilidud shot would drop out of the sky and poke me in the tush for some relief.

im moving to the bahamas :D :D

oh p.s. were you just asking this question out of the blue or are you really wanting to get one??? duh my mind is not up to par right now so forgive me if you have mentioned this somewhere else. ;)
advertisement