Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain coming back

JACKIER610JJACKIER610 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone :))) , This is my first time posting even though I have been reading the posts for a long time. Long story short, I have had back pain for about 15 years :''( . At the beginning of 2008 I could no longer walk because of leg pain. Was out of work for nine months. I had a discectomy along with a cyst removal July 28th of this year.Also have been going to therapy since September.I was doing great, finally pain free =D> , I have not been so happy in a long time. Started back to work in mid September and was doing ok. I have a somewhat physical job. I would listen to my body and take breaks when I needed to. Well My employer transfer me from a 10 minute drive to a 60 minute drive both ways. Now I am having lots a leg pain again and I think it has to do with being in the car for so long everyday. My primary and Pt agree with me and I see my surgeon next week. I pretty much told my boss he has to transfer me closer to home due to my back. I just wanted to know if anyone else has through long rides for work and what advise they could give. Thank you so much in advance!!
advertisement

Comments

• Could it be how you are getting in and out of the car, rather than the actual drive? Have you tried using a plastic bag on the seat to assist with the getting in and out? Just a suggestion.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • i have a really togh time riding in our vehicle, its a durango so its high easy to get in and out of but the rides are what kill me.My wife bought a massaging full seat pad that connects to the ac adapter in the truck it seems to help out in relaxing my back quite a bit for the ride. she bought it at where else wal-mart. just a thought. good luck
    Ethan
  • Good idea! The seats in my car have such great lumbar support, I'm more comfortable there than anywhere else!
  • Thanks everyone, I have a small Saturn which doesn't have a whole of room to move in. Any advice is great advice!!
  • so glad you joined the boards.

do they have the the seat massagers that you can plug into your lighter??? HMMMM i was just thinking about that. so thanks ethan for mentioning that. PM where you got one PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lol

we have a big truck. like ethan its easy to get into but staying in the seat is a totally different thing. WHEW.

also i just thought you said physical job. does that mean lifting heavy objects??? or demanding as in a desk job?

lifting could be causing issues to. depending on how physical your job is.

anyways we are here to support you through anything!!!!!
    just be so careful not to re-herniate that disk..

have a awesome weekend
    terri >:D<
  • Check out a seat insert called "backfriend" it is a potable seat inset that corrects the chairsseats for lower lumbar support and correct pelvis tilt.

I am limited to 20-30 mins max in a car including sitting in traffic. Be mindful of that as well.
    Like Joy said, I think the twisting in/out is the real killer.

Good luck with your boss, I hope it works out >:D<
  • thanks again. my job does require some lifting, alot of walking and standing on my feet all day. I was doing fine until I had to drive for an hour both ways compared to only 10 minutes. I think I am going to look into getting something for the car seat to maybe help with the ride. I just don't want to end up where I was 7 months ago, with a walker!!! :jawdrop:
  • Do you know if they sell Backfriend in the US? It sounds exactly what I need.

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • I had a anterior fusion L4/L5 in July and went back to work 8 weeks postop. My normal drive is a little over an hour. I have a Buick Lacross with heated seats and those seats stay on the whole drive to and from. I still have lots of pain after my fusion and haven't fused yet. I also sit 8 hours programming. It would probably be better for me if I did move around move. Anything where you stay in the same position for more than 30 mins. is putting a big strain on your bones, muscles, nerves and stuff.

I saw that you had a disc trim surgery, so you may have squeeshed out more of your disc and the longer drive is just bringing that out more, pinching nerves more and so on.

I've adjusted my seat and all of that, tried pads and cushions, but nothing has really helped. I do love the heated lumbar in the seat though, but it's not helped, just feels good.

Sorry I don't have anything to suggest, only to say I know what you are going through. I hope your appointment turns up an answer for you.

Melisa
advertisement