Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone recover from weakness

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello,
Here's the facts:
1. Age: 34
2. Lower Back issue: L5-S1 herniation hurt in 2004, had 8 months of Phys Therapy that got me back to normal with some minor flare-ups
3. Pain: Subsiding
4. Weakness: Cannot carry anything more than 10 pounds without feeling weakness down my right leg
5. Sitting: Not too difficult
6. Current therapy: Some Flexeril to relieve the muscle spasms in the morning, Some Perc (7/325), on a PT regimen, primarily massages.
7. Gym Activity: Worked out regularly before, was in great shape, but carrying a laptop in my briefcase about 1 month ago set off this latest round of pain.

My question: Has anyone here recovered the ability to carry groceries, bags, etc.?

My worry is that I won't regain strength to carry things, even trivial things like the groceries. The doctor is pushing me for surgery....

Any thoughts, comments or help?!?!

Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health,i havnt recovered from my injury i had in 1993,but i have been able to avoid a back surgery...you take care
  • While I cannot answer "yes" to your question, I'm wondering if you have sought out a second medical opinion? Or if you are seeing a neuro, what about seeing an ortho or vice versa? (If you look in the surgery forum there is a sticky with a compare and contrast between the two if you need it for reference). Certainly surgery should be a last resort.
  • Hello Aimless and BigCat,
    Thanks for the comments and advice. I am slowly regaining some ability to carry items about 10-15 lbs. but still feeling some pain/weakness in the leg/foot if I carry too far (more than 3 blocks). Lots of hanging from the chin-up bar to stretch out the spine, stretching hamstrings, sleeping with a heat pad under my lower back. Feels like it is starting to be better.

Any other thoughts or results welcome!
  • While I do understand that everyone's outcomes vary, I wanted to share a success story of my sister.

She initially injured herself when she was 21...forced to pick up a 50 lb box of IV fluids or lose her job.

She picked them up, blew out 3 discs.

3 back surgeries, lortab addiction, etc, later...she was doing okay...then all of the sudden...her nerves I guess you could say "gave out" and she could not walk.

She was put in an assisted living center to help her regain use of her legs.

Talk about horrendous!

Your age, living in an assisted living center with elderly and mentally handicapped individuals, and not able to walk, feel yourself urinate or defecate, etc.

After 6 months of INTENSE physical therapy, she was able to walk again, and now can lift more than what you ask, but chooses not to for fear of any reinjury.

She was the pride of that nursing home and all the assisted living residents hated to see her go...but they were so happy for her, too.

It's been about 4 years since that happened, and she's still going strong.

Just wanted to share that little shred of hope for what it's worth.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.