Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Calling all SCS trial and permanent users

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Greetings to All,

It's so nice to read about all the positive experiences with SCS. I'm scheduled for my SCS trial implant on Friday, Nov. 7. Counting the days...Although it does sound like a lengthy wait period to get the insurance approval for the permanent implant. Good thing that most of that have lived with chronic pain have learned to be patient and persistent in our quest for relief. I do have a couple of questions about the SCS:

During the trial period, can you take normal baths/showers?
I read in a previous post that someone couldn't wait to wash their hair.

I get swedish massages on a regular basis. Will I have to give those up when I get the permanent implant?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Can't wait to read more about everyone's experience. :)))

L4/L5 fusion in October 2005, many EPIs,spinal stenosis, DDD,rt/lft leg pain, back pain
Meds: Ultram, Tramadol, Effexor, Darvocet
advertisement

Comments

• No, you can't take a shower or a bath until your trial comes out. The wires come out and go into a little plastic box, which is attached to the external trial stimulator. The box and wires are taped to your back and that whole area has to be kept completely dry.

During my trial, I wasn't able to wash my hair because I was told not to bed forward over a sink and with the stuff taped to my back, I couldn't lean backwards in a chair to get it washed at the salon.

With massages, I would be very concerned about the pressures causing lead migration, but you can probably work out with your masseur/masseuse to continue your massages, with the stipulation that s/he avoid the areas where your lead, wires, and IPG are placed.
  • When I had my trial, I took a sponge bath on the front and I kept any kind of water away from my back. I couldnt wash my hair, however, I have heard alot of people go to the hair salon to get their hair washed.

Good luck, Im getting my perm on Monday!

Shan
  • Thanks for the tips! At least I know a bit more going into this.
  • Hope all goes well on Monday.
  • Littlebenney,

Here's what the block looks like coming out with the external trial unit.

I managed with some aggressive sponge baths and at one point layered towels over my shoulders and leaned over the bath tub (since my leads were in my neck and not lower back) and my hubby washed my hair.

As BionicWoman says, I too would be hesitant about the massages. When I drive my van all day, the wires get irritated just from rubbing against the seat cushions. My implant has been in for 5 months now and it still is easy to irritate the wires.

Best of luck to you on the 7th.

Shan,

Good luck on Monday. Hope you get to feeling better quickly.

"C"
  • A visual is always helpful. I can deal with sponge baths and little dirty hair to get through the trial. :)))

Is anyone still taking pain meds (after the implant)?
advertisement