Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are Central Herniated Discs the worse?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hey Guys,

I have been dealing with my central herniated disc at L4/L5 now for 6 months and I just cant seem to get any relief. Tried Chiropractic which made it worse and gave me neck problems, Tried the epidurals which solved the problem for like 2-3 days then everything came back, been taking NSaids which did help a bit at first but now the effect seems to be wearing off, and now im trying to diet take vitamins and lots of walking. I am 40 lbs overweight so my doctor told me thats like putting 120 lbs of extra pressure on that disc. Im just getting fed up with everything. Everyday my symptoms are changing but my most constant symptoms are lower back pain and swelling and the worse is the stiffness/pain behind my knees and my calves. The leg stiffness bothers me the most cuz I cant do anything and sometimes it gets sooooo tiring just to walk. Im only 24 years old and I feel like I am 64, just want to get on with my life WITHOUT having to go thru surgery. Anyone else have any additional tips for relief. Tried ice treatment and even that biofreeze stuff which seems to help a little bit but only temporarily. If I lose the weight will that help alot with the healing process? Thanks for any input, you guys have been great with my other points im just getting to the point where im getting sick of this.
advertisement

Comments

• I bought a recumbent stationary bicycle and a week later the stiffness went down in my legs. I'm also taking a water pill also though. Heat on back and legs help too. I too am overweight and just losing 10 lbs helped. I'm twice your age and I feel older. My Mom looks younger than me and she's 19 years older than me. Back pain seems to get anybody at any age. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) hi! :H i think you know some of the answers to these questions all ready. if you lose weight it will be much easier on your joints and knees. it will be less strain on your back and neck. any surgery is better accepted the more "average" your weight. these are only a few of the reasons to start to take off some pounds. :T perhaps the biggest and the best reason besides weight loss is being able to avoid surgery. :? the more you exercise and get your knee in shape, the less chance for surgery. being able to get back to exercising can work wonders for your self esteem as well. they really go hand in hand. weigh loss=the ability to exercise more=no surgery=more exercise=more self esteem and over and over. we have a weight loss group here on the forum. pm me if you are interested. good luck in all you endeavor to do! be sure and check with your pt and doctor about all diet and exercise issues! Jenny :)
  • www.chirogeek.com

really useful website - a little heavy going but explains all about disc problems etc.

My own surgeon said they didn't heal. :/

Take it easy and listen to your body - a rather over keen doctor told me to push through my pain (LARGE assumption it was muscular) which I did (thinking I was jsut a moanie old whimp) and it nearly crippled me - literally. I had a central disc herniation on an unstable spondy spine.
    Pain? OH YES!
    That was the end of my physical abilities, to this day I am trying to claw back my mobility. lol!
  • Thanks for all that input. Hopefully the more weight I lose the better Ill feel, I needed to lose the weight anyways and this gives me extra motivation. Thank you also for that chirogeek link, it seems there is a wealth of information on that site. Please keep the tips coming i need as much help as i can get to avoid surgery and im sure there are some others in my situation that could use this post for tips as well.

Andy
  • Hi Andy, lower back problems seem to give us very tight hamstrings which then affects the knees and calves too. Have you been to PT? I think this would be a good next step if you haven't tried it already. Also water PT is great too, very comfortable, easy and yet it helps. Good-luck, Cali-Sue
advertisement