Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There IS life after fusion! Six months later

kinpainkkinpain Posts: 958
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Good News
Well, today is the sixth month anniversary (5/1/08) of my three-level fusion (L3-S1). Like most people facing surgery, I had many concerns, but after doing my research, and getting a second opinion, I put my life into my OS's very capable hands. The surgery went well, and after six months of following orders (no BLT!), I am ready to reclaim my life. My OS discharged me after five months, as I was almost fused by then, and referred me to PT. This friday I finished that, and now I just follow the many sheets of core exercises, muscle stretching and strengthening exercises the PT gave me.

Here is my current status:

Walk at least an hour every day;
Do about 30 minutes of exercises about 4-5 x per week;
Providing I bend properly (legs apart, knees bent, hinging from the waist)I can even pick up things from the floor;
Can lift up to 15 lbs, close to my body, not higher than my chest;
I still avoid twisting, as much as I can;
I can sit comfortably on most not too hard chairs, sometimes I need a pillow for comfort;
I am not taking any pain medications, nor use ice, sometimes at night use heating pad (for few minutes) for warmth;
Eat a sensible diet (my OS made me promise that I won't gain any weight)

Basically, I am back doing most of my pre-surgical activities, except now I am PAIN FREE! Perhaps I get tired a bit sooner than I would like it, but after resting for a few minutes, I am OK. But hey, I am not 20 anymore (closer to 72)!

So I call my surgery successful, and I am very glad I did not wait longer to have it.

Wishing you all the best,

Kin (at first I called myself "kinpain", as in "K in pain", but thanks God, that is no longer the case
advertisement

Comments

• That's great - I am not there yet but I hope to be soon. I appreciate the reminder about walking an hour a day. I seem to have gotten off track and that is probably why I am experiencing some minor problems. Congratulations and I am glad it went well. It's nice to hear! :)))
  • I am glad to hear that you are doing so well. You are an encouragement to me!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Kin, it's great to hear you doing so well! Keep up the great work and keep posting here about your success.

All the best... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Thanks so much for posting your success story! Congratulations! It is so encouraging to hear such good news.

I am not as far along as you - just over 3 months post-fusion. And while I am doing much much better I still get "roving" pains - I guess as I renew my acquaintance with some muscles I have not used for awhile.

Keep encouraging us with your success!

advertisement