Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CERVICAL DISCKECTOMY WITH FUSION

KARMAGIRLKKARMAGIRL Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Spinal Stenosis
:''( 10 DAYS POST OP- 2 DISCK C4-5 5-6, BONE FROM BANK, METAL PLATE, DOCTOR SAID WHEN YOU WAKE UP FROM SURGERY, YOU WILL PROBABLY BE FEELING GREAT, ONCE THE PRESSURE IS TAKEN OFF THE NERVES, YOU USUALLY WILL NOTICE IMMEDIATE RELIEF!! WELL, I WAS IN THE WORSE PAIN I CAN IMAGINE. HE SAID HE HOPES THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY, AND SOME PATIENTS DO EXPERIENCE PAIN AFTER SURGERY. IN THE OFFICE HE TOLD ME THERE WOULD BE MILD PAIN FROM THE WOUND, AND A SORE THROAT, OTHER THAN THAT I WOULD FEEL MUCH BETTER!! DID SOMETHING GO HORRIBLY WRONG WITH ME, OR DO MOST PEOPLE SUFFER AFTER SURGERY? I ONLY DID THIS TO GET MY LIFE BACK FROM THE CONSTANT PAIN, STINGING, AND NUMBNESS!! OMG I WISH I COULD GO BACK!! WILL THIS HORRIBLE PAIN GO AWAY? IT HAS BEEN 10 DAYS, WITH ONLY SOME IMPROVMENT SINCE SURGERY DAY!! I JUST DON'T GET WHY HE WOULD SAY I WOULD WAKE UP FEELING GREAT!! NO COLLAR, AS HE DECIDED AGAINST IT AFTER HE WENT INSIDE AND SAW BONE WAS NOT TOO WEAK!! ANYONE GO THROUGH THIS AND BE TOLD YOU WOULD FEEL GREAT AFTER?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Karma Girl,

I think your doctor did not give you good information. I had similar surgery in Sept but my doctor seems to have provided better information. I did NOT expect to feel great or be pain free right after surgery and its a good thing. I had a lot more pain after surgery then before. The first two weeks were very tough but after that I started feeling better. I still have some minor numbness in my left hand and some major issues with my right hand. I also still have some tightness and pain in the front of my throat and some minor issues with eating. I have started physical therapy and the therapist is very hopeful that I will get a great deal of improvement. I had my surgery for many reasons (spinal cord compression, crushed nerves) but what drove me to the doctors in the first place was the pain and numbness in my hands and arms. This is what I am hoping for improvement on and what I am still working on. You are still just barely out of surgery and should be starting to feel lots better as the days go by. What I keep in mind is that at least things are not getting worse and the spinal cord compression has been resolved.

Good luck,
    LJ
  • thank you, I needed to hear that. I see doc on wednesday nov 5th, and i developed a new kindda pain now, when i wake up in am i get severe throbbing in back of my neck, like a heart beating real hard, but very painful!! this is crazy, but u made me feel better!! he did tell me when he woke me up i would probably say i feel great, and i would be feeling no pain except for the wound!!!
  • I am 4 weeks post op and I do have some pain but it has gotten much better. But to be honest for the first two weeks afterward I was filled with self doubt and wondered why I agreed to have it done in the first place. But I like you, wanted my life back. Now the worst pains that I feel are muscle spams. They are expected and I don't think I've met anyone here who didn't have them even if they were mild. Mine have been pretty severe but I'm kept comfortable with medication until I start Physical Therapy. I promise you it will get better. Cry to us if you need to. The pain will go away but he shouldn't have said that you should expect mild pain. It just flat out hurts and my doctor was honest about it and even held my hand while he explained it. My heart goes out to you and know that there are much brighter days ahead. Oh and if you haven't already done so pick up the phone and call your doctor and tell him EXACTLY what you told us. Nobody should have to suffer. You are perfectly normal.
  • WELL I WAS FEELING A LITTLE BETTER UNTIL HE HAD ME START SOME NECK EXERCISES AT HOME, OMG THEN IT ALL CAME BACK!!! THE ONE THING THAT WENT AWAY WITH THE SURGERY WAS THE ARM PAIN AND THE NUMBNESS AND TINGLING!! IT'S ALL BACK!! I STOPPED THE EXERCISES, BUT I HAVE BAD ARM PAIN AGAIN IN SAME PLACES, TINGLING IN HANDS AND 1 FOOT, AND CONSTANT MUSCLE PAIN!! I STILL CAN'T SLEEP ON EITHER SIDE, WHICH IS HOW I LIKED SLEEPING, AND STOMACH FORGET ABOUT IT!! AFTER A WHILE SLEEPING ON YOUR BACK JUST TO KEEP YOUR NECK HAPPY DRIVES YOU CRAZY!! ANYWAY, I REALLY AM STILL IN SHOCK ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING, AND I TRIED TO GO SHOPPING AND CRIED ALL NIGHT AND THE NEXT DAY, THE PAIN WAS OUT OF CONTROL, YET THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SIT AND RELAX ALL DAY, SO I AM CONFUSED HERE!! HE SAID TAKE IT WEEK BY WEEK NOW. I HAD MY POST OP APPT LAST WED, XRAYS LOOKED GOOD, I WILL SEE HIM AGAIN DEC 18TH!! SOME PEOPLE GO BACK TO WORK AFTER 2 WEEKS, I CAN'T IMAGINE!! ANYWAY I'M STILL NEW AT THIS AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND HERE!! I GOT TO THIS PAGE BY SURE LUCK. I CAN'T FIND ANY OF MY OTHER POST, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU
  • Karmagirl,

I had the exact same surgery on the 28th of Oct. I wanted to die the evening after surgery!! Almost 4 weeks out now, & still on pain meds and muscle relaxers, although at a much decreased dosage.

My doc told me absolutely nothing about what I would be experiencing post-op. Other folks who had the surgery said they would do it again in a heart beat, but never told me what they felt like post op.

Every day is a bit better than the last. Biggest problem is sleeping. Just can't find a good position, and I'm like you, a side sleeper.

Still having quite a few muscle spasms, and a lot of muscle stiffness in the back of my neck. Does anyone know if it's ok to use a TENS unit at this point to help relax those muscles?

Here's hoping we all get to feeling better SOON!
advertisement