Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When...

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
You know, I had surgery in June and the doctor told me he doubted he could make me pain free but could bring me down from a 8 to a 3 or 4 on the pain scale. So now I'm wondering when is this suppose to happen? I mean I'm still on pain meds and there are times I cant hardly get outta bed. I definately don't have the mobility I had before...I can't get off the couch or some chairs without help from my husband. It just drives me up the wall that you go into this thing with the hopes of having a better life afterwards and some of us are left afterwards wondering if it was all worth it.
The surgery was my last resort and I know I would've gotten worse over time but I guess I'm just tired of hurting.
How long does it generally take to get some sort of normality back in your life?

Best Wishes,
Christina >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• Christina,
    I wish I knew. lol! :))(

I had my fisrt surgery 20 months ago, after reaching the end of my rope (like you do) and I am still struggling.

I am not ual though - many more ppl do well 16 weeks - 6 months onwards. Check out the success stories link

Anyway, I try to be patient and see the corner. It is along way coming but grabbing the positives, I haven't crawled on the floor like an animal for a long time now, I can lie flat on my back for a short while, one leg is better (one worse!) and the insane buzzing is on/off instead of constant, so I am making slow progress. Progress being my key word.

You are about 5 months post. Have you really examined your life and changed it or are you expecting to be "better" with no changes?

I don't do low, soft chairs, I don't do shopping, BLT, ironing, carrying, Cimema, out, holidays, sitting more than 30 mins...I have adapted and feel comfortable. I have stopped stressing and fighting the "i can't wailing" and tried to accept the "Not at the moment" instead. Makes it feel better.
    I am in my 30's and young, so this has been really hard for me.

This is why the surgery is last resort. Therisks and implications are huge.
    I wish you well, but keep smiling!
  • Christina,
    I too was like you, wondering if I'd ever recover from my fusion. Like you, it was a last resort. For almost 14 months, I saw no significant improvement. One day I asked myself, "is this how I am going to be for the rest of my life?" Thats when I decided to begin pushing through the pain. I was fused and my doctors said there was nothing more that they could do. I decided to do it for myself. I began pushing through the pain, more and more until I can begin to see improvement, now vast improvements. I went from hardly walking in May to walking 3 to 4 miles at a brisk pace. I went from watching golf on TV to playing golf again. I have muscle pain because my muscles have atrophied. But they are coming along and my goal is to be 100% by this time next year. Your recovery might take a year or two but its there for the taking.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I hope Dick's comment here gave you some encouragement - because it certainly did me!

My surgery was in July and though I am doing better than I was a month ago I am certainly far from "normal" at this point. Getting back to the point of being able to do things is hard. Dick is so right that it often means pushing through the pain and exhaustion - and I find that some days I am sore all over from using some unused muscles again! And I am certainly tired of being patient - but I guess there is not much choice there.

If I am very careful about where I sit I can sit for about 1.5 hours fairly comfortably - sometimes. I walk as much as I can - often in 15 minute segments several times a day as I have a hip that tightens up painfully at about 10 minutes of walking. PT in the pool feels great - but I am sore for the next couple of days after. I can do some things (laundry, cooking, dusting, etc) around the house - in short bits. I have had to figure out how to do things without BLT but can manage most things even though it takes me longer than I would like. Last week I went shopping for the first time - after trying on about 4 pairs of slacks I was exhausted and my back was tired. But it was a start. I can do short trips to the grocery - walking is easier than standing. Pain meds make me feel so bad that I gave them up after the first couple of weeks. Some days - like today - I spend much of the day holding an ice or heat pack to the sore spots when I am sitting or reclining. I am sure it looks a little weird but it does help. Sometimes when I am feeling really stiff and sore, walking - if only around the house - helps loosen me up a bit.

I hope you find yourself feeling better soon. (I have heard others say that between 4 and 6 months they turned a corner and began to feel better.)
  • I have my check up at the beginning of Dec to see if I'm fusing and then start PT if I am. I can't wait. I know it'll be more pain but in the long run it'll be worth it. I think the muscles atrophying are causing a lot of my problems now. I have very pronounced muscle loss in my arms, especially the right and I am right handed. You can feel bone in my shoulders where you should feel some muscle. I am so looking forward to PT...I want my life back. So I can feel for those who are having worse problems post-op. It must feel like hell.
advertisement