Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disk bulge,protrusion with annual tears

Lexrx4x4LLexrx4x4 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I just found this website as I was trying to research my condition. About a week ago I had such bad pain in my lower left side of my back and left upper leg, I thought it was a kidney stone, and I had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, however the hospital did not find anything a few hours later after a pain shot and doing a CT scan I was released, I followed up with my family doctor the next day and he had an MRI taken and the following was found.
L1-L2: 1-2mm disk bulge
L3-L4: 1-2mm disk bulge
L4-L5: 3-4mm disk bulge with posterior annular tear
L5-S1: 3-4mm disk protrusion with posterior annular tear

I am taking pain medication only for now, and am scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon in a week.
Just getting a bit scared since now it seems I have a little problem with my bladder only partially emptied each time i urinate. can anyone give any feedback?

Thanks.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi there and welcome to spine-health.com. We have a wealth of information available on our site and a wonderful and caring community here on the forums. Please dont hesitate to ask lots of questions, seek support from others, give support where you can or just vent when you need to.

I don't want to scare you but the loss of bladder control associated with lumber issues is a concern and could be the onset of cauda equina syndrome http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/back-pain/when-back-pain-may-be-a-medical-emergency You may want to contact your doctor about this on Monday, rather than waiting a week to see your surgeon.

All the best to you and keep us posted with your progress... Bruce

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. there are MANY conservative treatments to try before you head off for surgery!!! have you tried anything yet? your surgeon may suggest other methods of recovery before he operates. these include exercise, pt,injections and a host of others. you really should contact your doctor on Monday if your bladder issues continue. this is one area to not waste time with! please be sure and get more than one opinion if surgery is your solution! many people here can attest to the value of that! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Bruce and Lulusheart
    Thank You so much for your feedback, I will definetly be contacting my Dr on Monday and discuss this bladder hesitancy issue..
    I have not had an opportunity to try any treatments as of yet as this was just recently diagnosed as a result of a sudden pain attach emergency..

Thank You again.

Lex
  • Sometimes meds can cause difficulty in emptying your bladder. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I have been off work now for a year and nothing has gotten better. When my Dr. read my MRI report he looked at me over his glasses and asked, Can you live on disability?
    I take pain meds but most of the time they do not seem to work. I try to to get some excersise but most of the time it makes the pain worse after a few days.
    My Dr. says that this will not heal and there is no way to fix it.
  • Improvement Update ***
    well its been a little over a year since my first post and I am definitely doing much better, I am not seeing the doctors anymore and although I ocassionally do have some discomfort and a little pain, it does not last over a few days, as long as I keep doing my excercises. as for the bladder situation I had, that was another separate issue due to "Elderly Gentleman issues" - Prostate enlargement, and that is also being taken care of with medication.
    Thank you all for your support and advice

Lexrx4x4
  • thank you for the good news!! =D> it is always good to hear that your "bladder" issue was taken care of and you are ok there!! you sound happy and healthy Lex!! :D all the best! Jenny :)
advertisement