Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Instability

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I wondered if someone can explain to me about spinal instability.

I had unstable spondy and I am now 2 level fused with screws, cages and rods.

I recently had a decompression. 5 weeks post operation I am in pain again - similar levels to post surgical pain but my pain meds don't touch it.

I am wondering what may have happened an if perhaps my spine has become unstable again. How do they know?

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi IALW, our vertebrae are meant to have a certain degree of motion. When they become unstable, there is more motion than is normal. Most commonly with spondylolisthesis there is sliding of the vertebrae forward on top of the one below. They often do flexion/extension xrays to see this. The spondy can be stable, meaning it stays in the same position with movement. Or unstable, it worsens with movement, perhaps going from a grade 1 to a grade 2, etc. Now my instability was seen in the actual pars fractures. As I bent, the fractures angled open, then appeared more together upright. I was told it was mild instability, but in surgery it turned out my spinous process and lamina of L4 was detached, just moving all over the place. Once the cage and hardware is inserted, it should all be held tightly in place, and no longer be unstable. Of course following our no BLT rules helps everything to stay put while it heals. Hope this helps. Sorry you are feeling so yucky. Hope you can get it all checked out soon. >:D< Sue