Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ready to call the doctor.

Shell74SShell74 Posts: 299
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am at 9 weeks post fusion and have been feeling pretty bad for the last week and a half. I did need to do some cleaning the week before because company was coming, the weather was a bit crazy and it was that time of the month so the first few days I thought the increased pain was probably just from that. I have just been resting since then, except for a 2 hour birthday party at the skating rink yesterday for my daughter.

I have had increased pain in my back and legs, tingling in my toes (particually the bottom of my feet and my middle toe is the worst), mild tingling in my legs as well as constant tingling and discomfort in my groin/buttock area (very hard to explain the exact feeling). Legs are weak and shaky and burning as well with occasional shooting sciatic type pain in both legs. Pretty much feels like pre surgery, ouch. I stopped taking the Vicodin at about 3 weeks and have only used PRN since then, these are now useless to the pain. The roxicodone havent even helped to tone things down either.

Its just so discouraging, maybe its all just normal healing. In everyones personal experience does this sound like something that warrents me to ask for an MRI? I will definetely be calling my OS in the morning, but I often dont know if I should push for something or not. Any input would be appreciated. I am open to suggestions to bring up to the doctor.

Thanks,
Shell
advertisement

Comments

• Shell..I know how you feel. I have had a set back as well :S
    I think a call to the doctor is a good idea. I finally called and he sent me for a new mri and I see him this week. At least let them know how you are doing since you were doing good up until now. He may want to see you to evaluate the situation. I know how you feel...Donna
  • Hi Shell, sorry to hear you aren't feeling good :( . I think since this has been going on for over a week, you definitely need to get it checked out. There are a lot of things your doc might want to try from a steroid burst, nerve pain meds, MRI, and so on. I have had many overdo flareups, but they only lasted a few days, and resolved with rest. If you tolerate it, I would try some ice in the mean time, as it is about all we can do for inflammation on our own. Keep resting and let us know what happens.
    >:D< :* >:D< :* Cali-Sue
  • Thanks Ladies

My patience is running thin! I got a call from the PA earlier that the doctor was in surgery all day and they may not get back to me today. OK, no problem. She just called to tell me they called in a new vicodin prescription but he had no comment on the tingling. It was the same person I spoke with earlier and she acted clueless. I also told her that the vicodin wasnt cutting it anymore, dahhh. I will email the doctor tonight, get him a direct message.

Why cant simple things be done the first time? Its just so frustrating.

Shell
  • Yep, doctors can be so annoying. At least someone called you at all. The last time I called my NS, no-one called me back at all. It was a Tuesday and on Friday I went to the hospital to get my records and ran into him in the hallway. I was like hey you, you never called me back on Tuesday. He just said whats up and I told him and of course got the answer oh thats normal (I was having new sciatica down the opposite leg as pre-op). So guess I have to track him down at the hospital to get ahold of him, LOL. I wish he did the e-mail thing, but no. Sometimes it like they are so higher than thou, has PA's doing the work in the hospital, med assistants in the office, so he must be on the golf course :$ Oh well, I guess that what ya get when you go to school for like 13 years. He is nice to my face, though, when I do see him ;) Good-luck Shell, hope you feel better soon, >:D< Darla
  • lol about contacting the NS.

here is the direction i was given if i had a problem . . . . "we check our voicemail several times a day. leave a message and if we do not call u back that means the doctor is not worried about it".

nice eh?? health care here in Ontario is covered by OHIP. everyone gets decent care however . .. .squeeky wheel always gets the oil around here. i have surely learned that.
  • I have not been able to speak to my doctor directly over the phone since I have been home...everything is done through the PA or office staff. I sent him an e-mail once..with no response. the office staff told me he reads them himself, so at least I know he got it! Very, very frustrating...especially when not feeling well and worried.
  • My doctor happens to have a CV posted on the practice website for IME referrals, it includes a yahoo email address, so who knows if he checks it or its just for show. The office has an email also, but I dont know where that goes to. The PA that is always very helpful lives down the street from me, maybe I should take the dog for a walk down to her house,lol.

In any case I allready left another message and I am trying to decide on the email thing. My PM doctor always called back himslef, I am not used to this begging for answers deal. If I dont get anywhere tomorrow I may have my PCP make the call, they shouldnt put her off!

Thanks everyone,
    Shell
  • Are you sitting more than you were? I found that really aggravates everything! Increased sitting and new stretches and exercises in PT that seem like I am doing almost nothing will kick up all kinds of goofy groin, hip, pelvic pains and sensations as well as some tingling in feet. Usually ice and rest helps after a few days. Are you in PT - often I get more information from my PT than I do from the surgeon's office.

• I'm 15 weeks out of a TLIF/Laminectomy, and I had a lot of ups and downs. I called my surgeon about them, and they tried things like adjusting the Neurontin, putting me on Torodal for a few days, and sending me for more imaging. I was told this was normal to go thru this. However, if you have intense pain flare ups, you need to let the doctor know. It's very important. You will also notice that your pain increased when you do too much, or you're in a bad position that aggravates the nerve or the back pain. Try ice, heat, rest, etc., when you have a flare up. And don't wait til the pain gets real bad before taking your meds. It will be even harder to get the pain under control if you let it skyrocket.
    Just communicate with your doctor and always let him know what's going on. Take care
  • I was sent home just with vicodin. I had the duragesic left for the two weeks or so after surgery too. I do have a script for Oxy as well, used only when I have bad days.

I did do some sweeping (broom on hardwood) and straightening up before this flare up. I have been resting for the last week and a half. The pain isnt horrible, but I am taking the oxy pretty consistantly. The tingles and weakness is what is bothering me the most. I've got them where I really dont want them, if you know what I mean,lol.

I will definetely be waiting for another call back tomorrow from the doc.
    thanks,
    shell
  • I have been pretty much laying flat or on my side since things changed for me, about a week and a half. I even relocated my stuff back to the bedroom so I wouldnt be tempted to switch from the couch to the recliner. I figured after a couple of days it would ease up, but no such luck yet.

Ice, heat, tens and muscle stim machine are my friends this last week,lol. Tens doesnt seem to help much, but when the muscle stim is cranked all the way up it does the trick for the pain until it gets turned off. No PT for me yet, BTL restrictions still in effect. Guess I was just doing so good that any kink in the works throws me for a loop,lol.

thanks,
    shell
advertisement