Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Teacher getting ready for surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a teacher and will be having a TLIF on November 18th. I am very worried about the recovery time and getting back to work as quick as possible. If there is anyone out there who is a teacher please respond. I'd love to have a support group of teachers. :-C
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome.
    I am not a teacher even though I am a MOM lol <:P
    We do have a couple teachers on here. So hopefully they will see your post and give you some advice.

As for recovery well read some of our recovery stories for Aug/Sept. Its under Back/Neck surgery fourm that gives you kinda a clue of the different types of surgeries.

Recovery depends on the person the dr etc.
    Its a very long recovery usually. There is BLT which stands for no bending, lifting, twisting.
    You have to wait on release on that.
    Of course whether you will be doing physical therapy.
    If your going to have a brace on or not.
    How many levels.

Usually it takes a few months to feel better.
    Your going to have your up and down days.
    Few steps forward for a few back.
    Sleepless nights all the fun things that come with this.

Alot of people will start off part time, then go to full. Also depends on what level you teach and how demanding it is. As sitting is a tuffy for awhile and only allowed for a certain period of time till the drs ups it.
    Of course walking is like a must and the only exercise you will be getting.
    But totally different routine from sitting/standing/walking and just work all together.

Hang in there. I wish you the best of luck on your surgery!!
    Your more then welcome to post under October/November upcoming surgeries also. Ya'all can keep up with each other and how things are going. That is also in the Back/Neck Surgery fourm.

Take Care
    Terri O:) O:)

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i understand you are a teacher so i can't offer you support as one but we do have pain in common. good luck with your surgery and stick to the doctor's orders. overdoing it is a sure road to failure. take your time healing and before long you will be back on in school. good luck and pleae keep us informed of your progress. Jenny :)
  • Hi,

I am a former teacher and principal so do have a pretty good idea of the demands of the job. Several weeks ago another teacher posted here wondering about returning to work. I believe that she ended up going back part-time. The topic was "Return to work....mistake?" You might search here for that.

Teachers are usually so concerned about their students that they want to get back to work ASAP. However, remember that teaching is something that requires a great deal of energy. And the recovery from fusion surgery is long and slow - and though we get very impatient it seems it cannot be rushed.

I was totally unprepared - despite what I was told and what I read here - for how long the recovery is. I figured since I returned to work 2.5 weeks after a total hysterectomy that fusion recovery for me could not possibly be as long as everybody said. Hah! I have just passed 3 months post-surgery and know I could not go back to work at this point and do a good job as a teacher. However, I am in my late 50's so am no spring chicken. Much depends on your age, your fitness level going into surgery and the exact surgery you have. What does your surgeon say about a time line for returning to work?
  • Well, dr. has said that it will take 2-3 months but not to be surprised if it takes up to 6 months. It will all depend on me and my recovery process. I guess I am more worried about a pay check than anything else at this point.
advertisement