Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery 3 days ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Good News
I just had ACDF surgery for my 5/6 and 6/7. The surgeon said the the bones had fused themselves together so the surgery took longer and was more complex because they had to physically separate the them and then put the titanium plates in with the cadeavor bone for the fusion.

All of the numbness and pain in my left arm is gone and I have an achy neck but that I guess is to be expected. This had actually turned out much better (so far) than I had expected. Is there anything else that I should expect? I am required to wear a soft collar for some of the time and I do notice I get a bit tired after a while of sitting up or moving around.

I am taking hydrocodone and valium so the pain is minimal. Should I still take it easy even though I feel pretty good?
advertisement

Comments

• I just had ACDF as well. Everyone here will tell you DON'T OVER DO IT! I found out the pain meds make you feel super human sometimes and just about everybody here has had their moment and tested themselves and then regretted it later in the day. I was going to mention back spasms but I see you're on Valium so you should be ok. They work for mine. Just sometimes not long enough. Just remember rest lots and popsicles are your new best friend and pudding tastes sooo good when you just don't feel like eating. A sore throat is very common but tell your doctor if it just feels wrong. If you have specfic questions you are definitely in the right place. :D
    I wish you a very speedy recovery and it's nice to meet you.
  • SORRY DOUBLE POST CAME OUT AGAIN OOPS LOL

Hi Althea,
    First you may want to post your story in our Back/Neck surgery fourm.
    You will see alot more people there with your surgery how their recovery is going etc.
    Sounds like your doing perfect.
    ICE packs will be your best friend. After a day or 2 of coming home I started with burning in my neck and shoulder muscles. VERY ANNOYING. So lots of soft gel filled reusuable icepacks are the easiest and you can lay them right on your shoulders and right under your collar on your back. That was my worst complaint through the whole recovery process.
    Besides the sore throat.
    Yes very important to keep on your meds for awhile. As once that pain sneaks up on you its hard to get back undercontrol once let go.
    Once your out walking and doing stuff in the house you will feel different twinges, soreness etc. So that is also normal.
    Now if you have increased pain that is new to you that you have never experienced then always call your Dr a.s.ap.

So yeah jump over to those boards and you will find out so much more information!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YA!! Its nice to see you doing well.
  • Hi Althea,
    First you may want to post your story in our Back/Neck surgery fourm.
    You will see alot more people there with your surgery how their recovery is going etc.
    Sounds like your doing perfect.
    ICE packs will be your best friend. After a few days of coming home I started with burning really bad in my neck and shoulder muscles. VERY ANNOYING it also got worse before it got better. I had in the hospital to, but it seemed to get worse when I got home. As I was moving around more.
    So lots of soft gel filled reusuable icepacks are the easiest and you can lay them right on your shoulders and right under your collar on your back. That was my worst complaint through the whole recovery process.
    Besides the sore throat.
    Yes very important to keep on your meds for awhile. As once that pain sneaks up on you its hard to get back undercontrol once let go.
    Once your out walking and doing stuff in the house you will feel different twinges, soreness etc. So that is also normal.
    Now if you have increased pain that is new to you that you have never experienced then always call your Dr a.s.ap.

So yeah jump over to those boards and you will find out so much more information!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YA!! Its nice to see you doing well.