Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oh boy . ...hardware in neck hurts like he** when it rains and thunderstorms???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hey neckies . . . .

i had c1 c2 fusion eight weeks ago. get this . . . . .this past night it rained and stormed like cats and dogs. i felt so much more pain in my surgical area. i am 30 yrs old and feel like 80 today in my neck. :))(

anyone experience this?? i find tylenol helps. i am off all the meds for a while now. just taking muscle relaxants as needed. yah think a hot or cold application will help?? :?

thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Heat works best for me to take away the aches brought on by weather. It has been raining here all day and along with it came the aches. A good soak in the tub or a shower will do wonders for me.

"C"
  • I thought I was crazy! I get that too. Then when I told my family the other day rain was coming. I thought they were going to ask my doctor for phyche meds for me until it actually did rain. The cold isn't helping either. I'll keep my heating pad nearby.
  • The rain has started here in WA state. I'm in for a long Winter? Maybe that's why I have been glue to my recliner with the heating pad all weekend.
    I've been wanting to move to Arizona. Maybe it's not such a bad idea 8>
  • ok so i am not crazy!! i live in ontario canada . . . ..no not in an igloo!!!! i live in the most southern part so i can't really go further south. weather is not really that bad but it does get cold.

so seems to be we can be meteorologists now too.
  • you are out of your mind girl =)) =)) =)) =))

now what would make you think weather changes would have anything to do with pain levels :/ 8} :D

i am only bustin on ya ;) :H

this has been brought up over and over.
    whether you have had surgery or you have arthrits etc.
    when the barometric pressure drops so does everything else in your body :jawdrop: :jawdrop: it puts alot of pressure on the spine. or other areas of the body.

this happened to me so many times i would be rich if i kept count or got a penny each time it happened <:P <:P <:P

LOTS OF HEAT. these are the days if tylenol does not work, that when my dr gives me my last script always says "save some for a rainy day" boy those words are like the most perfect sentence anyone could say ;) ;) ;)

cause he was right!!!
    i always keep a couple stashed for those "rainy days" or "weather change"

hang in there hunny. just like "c" said hot baths or showers
    heating blankets DA BOMB.
    rice socks
    any type of neck wrap.
    i have a herbal one here and a rice one. that i got right at the drug store. or you can make your own.
    the herbal smells much better :D
    i hate smelling like a pot of rice =)) =))
    you can get them online or i got mine of course at a local fair. but they have tons of shapes and sizes on the computer and of course its a moist heat so it does the trick!!! thats how i got rid of my neck ache a few days ago.

lots of hugs to those suffering with weather!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • lol . . . . i love it. just needed reassurance.

ps still snap crackle popping in the neck. beginning to realize these sounds will be there forever.
  • darlin once you have hardware installed your always going to be a bowl or rice krispies ;) ;)
  • barometers.

:))(

You could charge for the service!
  • The rain gets to me too. I didn't even realize it until last week my boss asked my how I was feeling. I told her it was strange...I was in so much more pain that day. She said, "you know it's the rain." It was raining heavily that day and it never dawned on me that it could affect my neck!

The cold really gets to me too, especially the wind. It was in the low 70s here today but since it was windy I had a scarf around my neck. I looked like one of those fashion "dont's"...a short sleeve summer shirt and a winter scarf, lol.
  • Now why are you "bustin" on Roxy again. =))

Barometers we are!

"C"
  • We are walking talking 'bunions'...we announce those cold/wet fronts moving in before the weatherman can ...and yes its going to be a long winter here in the Pacific Northwest..the ol' neck hardware is telling me so.

Sure do miss the warm weather in Texas.
  • This is exactly why I'm moving back to Texas as soon I get my kids grown and I am oh so close. I miss Spring in the middle of Winter. I miss wearing shorts in January. I wonder if our channel 5 news would hire me as a consultant for the weather report. I'm better now at it than they are.
  • I think we could all replace those little elves on the front of the rice krispies box. We're sometimes louder than the cereal. :D
  • :H Yep, here in Washington State it has started the wet weather season. We're supposed to have rain all week with Sun breaks...The Sun breaks often here...someone fixes it though cuz it always comes back. :))(

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • tonya 42

LMAO!!! I love it. i love to hear that other people are snap crackle popping. it makes me feel like i fit in somewhere!!

hey BTW . . . guys i am going on vaca to cancun dec 13. does this mean i will hurt like he** on the plane??

dec 04 is dday for removing the brace. he gave me a schedule to wean myself from the brace. OMG . . .i do not want another miami j collar tan line. as cool as it sounds i will pass.

starting this weaning on sunday. finally!!!!!
  • ps . . .. get this . . .windsor ontario canada . . .68 degress today!!! no pain today.
  • Very entertaining post lol... I havent had the surgery yet and I can tell when the pressure drops. My neck and shoulder start letting me know real early that its going to rain. Winter should be interesting this year in Central NY!
  • Hey, if I can fly 30 hours home from the US a month and a half after my neck surgery, you can manage a vacation in the sun! The doc would give me a few pain meds and some valium for the trip and a few days afterward.

I would think (just surmising here) that if you are weaning off the brace at a schedule to get out of it by Dec 4th, then your muscles should be strong enough to handle the load. I know some folks use those neck pillows to support their heads when they fly. Some also take soft collars with them for the trip.

Ugh! Collars!

"C"
  • Are you kidding?!! I would think just just the thought of your destination would be incentive enough to keep you from hurting. Turn off all those pain neurons in your brain. For heaven's sake your're going to CANCUN!
    In reality though I had planned a holiday vacation to Texas to visit a friend having PLIF surgery this Friday. I have since abandoned hope on doing this. I was terribly afraid of cabin pressure in an airplane and there is NO way I'm driving 12 hours anytime soon. But geez if I was going to Cancun that would be a different story. Can I get in your suitcase? I'm pretty small and very flexible. I only weigh 92 lbs thanks to my post surgery diet. They wouldn't even charge you for the extra weight I don't think.
    My brother is a pilot so I will call him today and find out what he thinks about cabin pressure and your condition. I'll get back to you about that. I'm sure they have things that can make you as comfortable as possible. What is your particular concern? So I can talk intelligently to him.
  • Cabin pressure is not a problem. I have flown at 4 weeks post op (back to back lumbar surgeries) and also 8 weeks post op (back to back high c-spine surgeries). Spine patients fly all the time.

Most commercial aircraft are pressurized to the approximation of driving up a mountain to about 8,000 feet. The only way it will hurt her trip to Cancun is if she does a bunch of scuba diving while there and doesn't give herself enough time to off-gas the nitrogen before she flies home.

"C"
  • NOW YOU TELL me! Geez! I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Now I have to go back to Southwest and see if it's to late to get a decent rate to get to Dallas. From now on would you mind just cc'ing me on ALL of your posts. That way I could stay educated. :))) I'm finding it really hard to follow all of your posts around here and they are always so helpful.
  • I REALLY miss my swimming pool and spa..had no idea how bad this weather up here was gonna feel on me. but...gotta go with our hubby's jobs too ya know?

guess I gotta win a lottery so I can at least winter down there...LOL! ;))
  • even if its just for a little while right Ken?

then its back to the rain rain rain..but it keeps it green and beautiful here thats for sure. :)
  • you guys crack me right up!! man . . . . never thought hardware talk could be so entertaining.

thanks re info for flight!! i am going to get one of those neck pillows.

forget the brace. i will be hosting a brace burning party. i have up for grabs two miami j braces, philadelphia collar and minerva jacket brace as of dec 04.

• I talked to my brother. He said that haglandc is dead on. So take the advice offered and go with it. He also said please let the stewardess know if at any time you are uncomfortable. They will help in whatever capacity they can.
advertisement