Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and Help needed!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello I am new to this site - I have had Scoliocis since I was a child, I have Spondy Level 2 (almost 3) and L5 S1 hernation.

I went to my Orth last week and he is recommending 2 Level fusion.

I am so anxious and scared of the recovery.

I have known about this since 1994 but had no clue it would degenerate.

I am reading about how awful this surgery is and I am freaking.

Am i normal????
advertisement

Comments

• Of course it is normal to be scared when facing any kind of surgery. There are quite a number of successful fusion surgeries...look in the Good News forum. I consider myself one of them. I had my fusion surgery 6/28 and am getting along pretty good now. I still have days when I hurt, but nothing like before surgery. All of my sciatic pain is gone. I was not in good physical shape and am in my 60's, so all in all, I would have to say I am doing very well. You will hear from quite a few people on this site, I am sure. You will find great suggestions and great support here as well. Good luck!
  • You are very normal! All of of us had the same reservations and worries before our surgeries, But most of us are happy afterwards that we had undergone surgeries as many if not most symptoms get better or disappear completely. Of course, it takes longer for some than for others, so you need a lot of patience, and follow your doctor's order. Many of us had have successful outcomes, and there is no reason that yours wouldn't be either. Just go with a surgeon you trust, follow his orders, and have a positive attitude. This site is a great place to get information and support, so let us know if you have any more concerns.

Good luck,

Kin
  • I think any surgery is scary! Going into surgery with some apprehension seems like only good sense to me.

My surgery was July 21 and 23 (I had the anterior/posterior surgery). In a nutshell my experience has been that the recovery is very very slow and often uncomfortable but not terribly painful. By uncomfortable, I mean it is frequently hard to find a comfortable position for sitting and sleeping - more achy and sore than sharp pain. I had to stop taking pain meds after the first couple of weeks because they made me so sick but with heat and ice it has been OK.

The hardest thing about the recovery for me is being patient. It just takes a long time!

What kind of fusion surgery is your doc suggesting? Be sure to ask lots of questions about the surgery and recovery.
  • hi and welcome,
    can't say much more then what the others have. yes its a scary surgery, a awful one?? no
    depends on your surgeon , yourself as a patient, following drs orders etc.
    long recovery, yes like the others said.
    after the first 2 weeks are usually the toughest to get through, then from there things gradually improve.

yeah its hard when you wake up from surgery, its hard getting out of bed the first few times. so i won't lie about that one. painful no. its a different type of pain.
    not sharp pain, pulling pain.
    achy like they mentioned, trying to get comfortable etc.
    yeah your going to have your up and down days. that is a given. a few steps forward a few back. its all NORMAL... ;)

most important thing post op is taking your meds on time, walking when allowable as much as you can. using ice packs to keep swelling down on your incision. keeping up with a healthy diet.

if your in alot of pain now you will see a big difference after surgery is done.

everyone's stories are going to be different.
    your going to hear bad stories and good ones.
    check out our back/neck surgery fourm etc.
    old archives from our old site.

alot of people have moved on with their life and have not come back to this new site those are our successful people.

just make sure you have your ducks in a row, your comfortable with your dr and hospital and all should be ok.

GOOD LUCK
    terri O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • I didn't have the same surgery that you're facing so I'll leave all of the post op recomendations to the pros around here. I will tell you that every feeling you're feeling right now everyone on this board has had at one time or another. They will all jump right in and answer you're specific questions and the rest of us will be here to support you through it. You've come to the right place. I will give you this one piece of advice. I whole heartedly trusted my surgeon and knew that I was in good hands before I even considered letting him operate on me. He's caring and compassionate and answers all of my stupid questions like they're not stupid at all. That's my kind of doctor. Welcome and you've found a great group of friends here.
  • I'm not one whose experience anyone should rely on. Lol. From 1.5 weeks post op I was taking care of myself, I rarely have any pain now, all my pre-op symptoms were gone when I woke up in recovery... I still have some soreness where the hardware is, especially since it's cold weather now, and I can feel it with my fingers through my back, but it's not that bad. I am REALLY happy I went through with it, and my Neurosurgeon couldn't be happier, either. I am doing SO much better now. But healing that fast isn't typical at ALL. It's NOT something one should expect. It's actually VERY unexpected and kind of unbelievable. Even my surgeon and the P.A. were surprised to see how good I was doing at 2 weeks post op. Hair done, make up done, smiling, she said she'd never guess I just had major surgery 2 weeks prior. I just kept a positive attitude the entire time, and still do. I had a couple minor set backs but nothing a couple days and an attitude adjustment couldn't fix. I feel great for being 5 weeks post op, and I had anterior/posterior in one combined surgery. I feel like I had surgery 6 months to a year ago. Also, I didn't have time to be scared. I wasn't scared at ALL for my scheduled fusion, but when I reherniated and then saw my surgeon, I was going in for my fusion 12 hours after my appt with her.... 3 weeks earlier than planned. That night I was pretty nervous, and in the hospital, but I didn't even need Valium before the surgery this time. For my MicroD in May I had anxiety so bad I got my temp up from 97 to 102.... No lie. They gave me Valium and it went back down to 97. Lol. So feeling scared is definitely normal. I, however, all around, am just NOT. Haha :)
  • I like my Doctor, I saw him originally 4 years ago. How do I check him out - I have done some google searchs - not a lot of information.

Wonderful bed side manner and expert in scoliosis and spine. I did rehab four years ago with him and felt better for a while.

Kimberly
  • You totally normal.

There are a lot of mixed stories on these boards so don't be put off. Many of us are having a few blips and use the boards to support eachother with ideas and vent.

This is serious surgery and you need to be menatlly prepared. I think the fear is part of that preparation. Whether you are alone like Lo, with other heath issues it doesn't matter.

I have my Plan A and my plan B. I am very clear in my mind and yes, it is a very very slow recovery. Some lucky ppl do it in 4-5 months although it will still take 12-24 months for the body to fully heal. It depends on your specific problems.

Positive attitude is everything. (But it is still OK to be a weeny bit scared!)
    Good Luck.
  • Been reading and hear often that reherniation occurs after MD surgery. Any ideas as to why? Sure would appreciate...

Knocked off my bicycle by another cyclist in 2000, landed on right buttock,elbow, helmet cracked but not skull!
    Had MRI's in 2002 and this past January.
    1) diffuse disc bulges at L3,L4, L5 with mild stenosis
    2) bulge at L5-S1 space with mild degeneratate facet joint disease and disc material extending into left neural foramen, encroaching on exiting nerve root.
    3) Had 3 epidurals over six months in 2003.
    4) Have had Chiro treatments since Dec.2007
    5) Had EMG in Feb,2008 my reflexes were normal
    6) Take Ibuprofen 200 3x day and when needed oxycodone/acetaminophen. Use Melatonin to help get to sleep.
    Walking more than 30 minutes causes sciatic pain down to right foot. Sitting in forward bent position causes pain in buttock and lumbar area.

Lumbar disks do their own dance without my consent. Sciatic screams when I beat my feet on the pavement.
advertisement