Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Positive Lhermitts Sign

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
(apologies for the double posting - this is tagged on another post as well.)

After suffering a mild set back with MAJOR pain, I saw PT today. She is new for me and so a fresh pair of eyes.

Did the Lhermitts Sign test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte's_sign

which was OUCH! I am still ringing from back - toe. Boy did that hurt.

PT wonders if my cord is tethered, scarred and irritated. Says will let the surgeon know. She also explained it is a highly sensitive mechanism and so explains why I have such a low tolerance of doing anything before extreme pain kicks in. Also explains my total wobbly self, poor procepriation (?sp)and peculiar buzzing.

Worry is this is linked to a high incidence of MS so looks like another spiney closely looking at the links with MS. If anyone has any experience of this?

I'm stunned. Again.

On a quick look seems there is little they can do.
I wondr if they just killed the nerves, kill the pain, would that do the trick?

Well, I am still ringing fdrom it, even now. :))(
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry you had to go through that. I hope you mention that to your Dr. about how much physio you can do. My pain management Dr. disagreed with the traction part. and the PT disagreed with the Chiropractor's excercise for me. It seems like we need a step by step diagram of physio to report back to the Dr. so he agrees with the treatment. Take Care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Is this the same thing as the straight leg raise test? My NS put in my H&P, negative straight leg raise, but he never even did this test on me!! I think it would have been positive then and probably now too. Not sure how much this means when you are recovering from a fusion and everything is so tight and irritated anyway. Will be interested to know what your surgeon thinks of it. Good-luck, Sue

Nope I think it is different now that I have read more. One source in google books described it as the straight leg raise, but all others say it is neck flexion that illicits the nerve shocking pain in the legs. Interesting...

• But you know you have it when you look down and it creates shocks in your legs, look up and it turns it off. On/off. Really a uncanny feeling. Fortunately my strong shocks have turned to just a vibration now. So maybe with time yours will improve too.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!