Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The med I was trying to think of...

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Is Pamelor.

25mg twice a day for the first 5 days, then 3 times a day.

Anyone else ever been on this med? Any experiences to offer?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• What is this med supposed to do for you? I've never heard of it.
  • Pamelor, or nortriptyline is in the "old" class of tricyclic antidepressants, like Elavil (amitriptyline). Both are commonly used for both depression and nerve pain, but I believe amitriptyline is held in a slightly higher regard for nerve pain - it is often used for several forms of neuralgia (esp. post-herpetic neuralgia),before seizures meds like Neurontin, Lyrica, and Topomax were used for this. Amitriptyline is often used for fibromyalgia patients too because it promotes the deep stages of REM. Amitriptyline is a little more sedating than nortriptyline and causes more cholinergic side effects (dry eyes, dry mouth & constipation). Both can also cause weight gain.

I currently take amitriptyline and found it to have helped my pain (decrease narcotic use) more than Lyrica and Topomax, but I do have more trouble waking up some mornings.
  • I took Nortriptyline before surgery for nerve pain and to help me sleep at night, it worked while I needed it and since surgery I changed things now I take tramadol and tizanadine at bedtime. I did not have any adverse reactions to it.
  • I took Nortriptyline before surgery for nerve pain and to help me sleep at night, it worked while I needed it and since surgery I changed things now I take tramadol and tizanadine at bedtime. I did not have any adverse reactions to it.
  • Wow, thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it lots :) That is all good to know.

I heard it can make you tired. That's about it. Lol. Weight gain? Yucky. Anyone of you guys gain weight on it?
advertisement