Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What can ya tell me about fentonal patches?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well no amount of pain meds will get pain under control so now they have ordered phentonwhatever patches and another pill. if this no work then it is back to hospitial to get IV put back in. no sleep, non relenting pain at a constant 9 going to 10 frequently. What happened to pain meds making it so you didn;t care you were hurting? They must have used all their development budgets to get peeps to quit smoking instead of staying on top of the meds development, lol. Anyway do these patches work? are they dangerous even when used as prescribed? should I inquire about something else? I have never had pain that just would not quit At some point. this is new for me. Does the pain ever 100% go away? anyone here ever had that happen? :& 8} :jawdrop:
advertisement

Comments

• I would try fentanyl patches if i were you. I think if you're Dr. prescribed it, it should be safe. Iv meds are just as strong depending on the rate. Maybe you'll get some relief. Let us know. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The patch didn't work for me really, but maybe my body or situation is different than yours. I felt sick, super tired, and just weird after 8 hrs on it, so I had to quit it. I would say it isn't for someone who can't handle hard narcotics etc. Best my body can handle is codiene.
  • Aloha, I'm new here, and could go on & on about the meds & constant, severe pain...BUT, to answer your question:

-Began patches about 6 months ago. Prior meds (40mg oxycodone, 3 Soma, 4,000 mg tylenol, 4,400mg robaxin per day).
    --My Doc began me on 50mg Fentenol patch and IT WORKED, lowered my pain from severe to moderate (huge) within 48 hrs, but then I leveled out after a couple weeks and was moved up to 75mg patch (every 3 days)
    --Long story short, I'm now on 100mg patch (every 3 days) 1 Soma, 6 hydromorphone, 6 robaxing (3000 mg) per day for orals/breakthrough pain.

Overall, I've been able to sleep, eat and function a bit better...and every bit counts!

They dont work on some people, and if you are not tolerant to opioids, you should NOT be on them. The patches can slow down your respiration if you arent tollerent, or if you move up the dosage too quickly.

Cronic pain needs something more than the fast acting opioids. My Doc tried me on Opana before trying the patch (these are both long acting opiods that can help you feel better & cut down on some of those fast acting meds), because I have low body fat and the patches dont always work as well for people witout enough of the subcutanious stuff!

Hope this helps some. Glad I found this site--it sucks when you feel nobody gets it :)
  • I had a bad reaction to the patch just over a year ago. I am extremely sensitive to most medications and just added this one to the list.

However earlier this year my husband found a Health Canada (??) warning about these patches. Apparently there had been at least one bad batch distributed about the same time as I had my anaphylactic reaction. There was a flaw in the long acting patch which allowed too much medication to be released at one time, so people were in effect overdosing.

I will try and find the article if anyone is interested. Regardless, I did end up in an ambulance four hours after putting on the first twelve hour patch.

Others I know have not had any problems with them though.
  • I just recently switched to the Fentanyl patch after trying other methods of pain control. It, so far, has been the most effective. The biggest issue I have is keeping it stuck to my arm...I'm allergic to most tapes so I can't use them on top of the patch.

I think you need to adjust you mode of thinking about pain releif. It may not be possible to erradicate your pain and remain upright. While I enjoy having the pain relief I never want to take so much that I can't function from day to day nor do I want to not care about my pain. I believe pain is there for a reason- to keep us from further injuring ourselves. Trust me, if I had NO pain right now I'd do a whole lot of stupid stuff that I miss doing LOL!

Let us know what you and your doc deciede,

Griff
advertisement