Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I Guess I'm a Difficult Case

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:?? I saw my neurosurgeon again today. He was finally happy with the MRI films. However, he is now seeking a second opinion because he could not definitively decided on which surgery I need.

I've been having severe left arm pain for 2 years now. It has gotten progressively worse. Several months ago I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease. I had a C-6 Nerve Root Block. That totally took away my arm pain. So I figured the doctors had an answer. The disk at that level is impinging on the C-6 nerve root as well as bone spurs.

So I am confused. I know he had discussed either a laminectomy or an acdf one level C-5/C-6 the last time I saw him. These new films indicate to him my pain should be worse on my right arm. My pain has always been severe on my left side.

The neurosurgeon he is sending me to for a second opinion specializes in difficult to diagnose cases. So now I have to wait several more weeks while they get this approved thru my insurance and get me scheduled. Then after I have seen him I get scheduled to see my neurosurgeon again.
I would think the next time I see my neuro he will finally tell me what surgery I am having to fix this.

:''(

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

  • At least your Doctor is finding an expert on your case.It is a thorough evaluation for you and perhaps you'll get the best treatment for you. One day at a time GreyEagle. Keep us up to date on your progress okay? take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hey ken

    after my first failed surgery i had a second opinion too. my psychic told me that i would have a second surgery and the docs were unsure what to do.

    she was right on. i went in the next day and my NS was shocked the graft slipped.

    he consulted his partner and they eventully figured out i would be best off with rods, wire and screws. i have lots of crap in there.

    but . . . i felt comfortable knowing the two of them were going in there together. i got lucky. they felt so sorry for me they teamed up on me. lol

    wait it out. it's better. let them formulate a good plan.

  • hey ken

    after my first failed surgery i had a second opinion too. my psychic told me that i would have a second surgery and the docs were unsure what to do.

    she was right on. i went in the next day and my NS was shocked the graft slipped.

    he consulted his partner and they eventully figured out i would be best off with rods, wire and screws. i have lots of crap in there.

    but . . . i felt comfortable knowing the two of them were going in there together. i got lucky. they felt so sorry for me they teamed up on me. lol

    wait it out. it's better. let them formulate a good plan.

  • I think it is great that you doc is seeking the help of someone more specialized! It shows he cares and your chances of a successful outcome just went up tenfold! I'm sorry that you have to wait longer, but there are so many on this board that will tell you that it's better to suffer a bit extra up front, then a lifetime on the other side of surgery!

    Hang in there,

    "C"
  • Patience is all part of what makes for a better outcome on your part.Scheduled tests are a part of the process that you have to go through to get to that finish line..but a lot of people have a hard time even getting approval for an MRI let alone specailized Drs appts.

    A lot of people have pain on the opposite side from what I have read..I don't know why and of course I don't have the answer,but I've heard this numerous times..it seems pretty common to me from all that I've heard.

    If you are confused about something make a list of what bothers you so that you can form questions to ask this other Dr,or ask your NS next visit.BTW~Your NS sounds exceptional to be sending you for a second opinion on his own..That's not as common as one might imagine.Better to be safe than sorry my mom always said.. :)
  • Hopefully with the specialist stepping into the picture you will get some solid answers. I know I totally get your frustration with the waiting game though it's just part of it. Take care! :)))
  • I think that it's very commendable that your neuro is sending you to a specialist in difficult cases. So many of them have big egos, and won't admit they don't know everything, and feel threatened by a pt getting a second opinion. I know you hoped for an answer today, but in the scheme of things, another few weeks probably won't make things any worse, and might give you important information you need to have the best outcome possible. Take care of yourself.

    Maggie
  • my friend , I too am sorry that you are having to wait but I agree with everyone else that it is a good thing that your doc is seeking out the opinion of another doctor. Hang in there sweetie , you can get through this and we are here to help you.....if there is anything that I can do then PM me or e-mail and I will be there for you....talk to you soon my friend....Miki
  • Yeah, you guys are right I'm sure. I have noticed the pain in my arms, neck and shoulders has gotten somewhat worse. I am happy at least that my neuro finally said he was happy with the latest MRI's. That means the diagnostics they've done (including the C-6 Nerve Root Block) are all they need.

    Now I am just waiting for the call for the appointment with the second opinion neuro. Thanks for being there for me guys!

    Ken
    Greyeagle
  • GreyEagle said:
    Thanks for being there for me guys!

    Ken
    Always!
  • I've noticed in the past week the pain in my left arm, right arm and neck have gotten worse. I saw my DO about a week ago. He asked me if the level of meds I was on was ok with me. I told him it was.

    I was worried about them being able to control Post-Op pain. My DO had told me at one visit that sometimes if a patient has a heavy dosage of morphine/vicodin before surgery for a period of time then that spells trouble controlling pain Post-Op. I didn't want that.

    Currently I'm on 15 mg morphine 2x a day and 5/500 vicodin 1x a day. I may call him next week to increase my doses. I finally received a call from the second opinion neuro. I have an appointment with him Dec 18th.

    Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Sorry that your pain has been increasing. It sounds like a good idea to get some more help with the pain until you can find out more definitively when you will have surgery.

    "C"
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.