Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months post-op discectomy, I still cant sit down. now nerve damage???

crashhccrashh Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:jawdrop: So after my surgeon referred me to pain management, my pain management doctor already said she does not think my current neurosurgeon is treating me properly and that I should go to Duke University. By the way I am 100 miles from Duke. After the PM doctor saw my MRI I was sent immediatley to duke university for a CSF leak/infection. Thank god there was no infection. My pain management doctor ordered another MRI. I was called into her office the very next day and I was told there are some big problems. She made an apt. for a nerve study the next day. Again my pain management doctor called me the same day and had me in her office the following morning. She said after all the tests. There was still a piece of disc. There was acute damage to the nerve-root and scar tissue was grown around the nerve-root. I was told I would need surgery again. I went to my follow up apt. with my surgeon and was told in a nice way that "this was beyond his skill level" that he was done with me and he was going to refer me to Duke University, which is what my pain management doctor already did because she does not think he is treating me properly. So my surgeon basically kicked me to the curb. I am waiting to hear from a Dr. Michael Haglund, MD @ Duke University. I am worried. I don't want another surgery!!:( Does anyone have experience in this type of problem. I am on 10/325 percocet X3 per day and 900mg per day of neurontin. The percocet don't do much so I do not take them often. The neurontin kicks my ass and deffinatley takes the edge off but I cannot function. I sleep all day and forget things easily. Recently I have noticed after waking from maybe a 10 or 20 min nap I am numb in different extremities... my right and left arms,legs and hands but never all at once. It only lasts maybe a minute or so. In the past the only pain I have had was lower back at my incision and up and down my left leg bad pains especially when I sit. The numbness has just occurred about 10 days ago maybe less. Any info on this matters would be helpful. Thanks....
advertisement

Comments

• I was wondering how things were going with you. Dang dude that really sounds like a terrible situation. I hope this doc at Duke can help you out. I have always heard tremendous things about Duke.

I would hate to speculate on whether the numb extremities is related. You had such a large CSF leak for so long, anything could be possible.

It's a shame that you can't take the Neurontin without the sedation and memory loss. There are so many other meds of that type that work well, possibly one of those will work better and without the tremendous side effects.

Hang in there.

"C"