Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So, need help from those in other countries.

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Anyone who has universal healthcare, can you give me your thoughts and experiences on it? I am dreading the chance that they may instate universal healthcare in the U.S. since I've heard so much about the quality of care lacking in comparison to countries with private healthcare. SO I'm looking for some opinions only from those who personally have experienced it for something I am writing unrelated to this website. Sorry if this is a tad bit off topic, but I don't go to any other parts of the message board, this one only.. So I'd prefer opinions from those I am familiar with. If that's alright with the mods.

advertisement

Comments

• In the WORLD would you find this offensive? I'm doing research, and looking for first hand opinions to make an education formation of my own opinion. Wow. Whatever. Lol. *Shakes head*
  • Lo said:
    In the WORLD would you find this offensive? I'm doing research, and looking for first hand opinions to make an education formation of my own opinion. Wow. Whatever. Lol. *Shakes head*
    I guess I assumed that because the election was last night and you stated that;
    Lo said:
    I am dreading the chance that they may instate universal healthcare in the U.S.
    .......that this post,and it's timing had something to do with the election.

In which case I would find it offensive.If not my bad and I'm sorry.
  • It is a touchy subject being the election was last night.

BUT it also is A VERY GOOD QUESTION.
    I imagine this has gone through others minds also.

Mabye posting under health insurance issues would get more hits and you would hear from other people as in the UK ,Canada etc.

It is a scary thought. I know it will be awhile before anything even happens like this. It takes alot of work, thought and process.

I can totally understand as a young single mom this is a very huge topic for yourself. Same as for people that have not health insurance coverage at all.
    Someone like me, who has very good health insurance I do not think that would change for myself. But this would effect thousands of people.

Lots of huggies
    Mama bear
    xoxoxox
  • It doesn't have anything to do with the election per say, because I didn't vote, and don't have any opinions on either person. But even if it were, I don't understand why people need to be so sensitive about it... Not everyone feels the same. That's fine. Accept it. Bottom line.

It has to do with the fact that someone brought to my attention TODAY that it may be considered here in the U.S., and before I write some long essay with my opinions on it, I wanted information from people who have experienced it first hand. I know there are some people here from other countries, and thought they could offer their thoughts. I don't really see how you could be offended by someone wanting to make an educated decision.... That's not offensive at all. It's someone wanting NOT to make an ignorant one, someone WANTING information from the source, someone WANTING the truth... That is far from offensive. Really... Seriously think about that.

Mama Bear, that's what I'm worried about. People DO have good insurance, and from what I've heard all those good private insurance companies that will no longer exist... Our care will suffer, and in turn, people like us will suffer. I imagine instances where say, for example, you went to the doctors for the issue you are having now, and they were not top quality because of the change of structure, and they never found what they found... What could have happened? Ya know? That's the kind of thing I fear. I worry that people will suffer, and I don't want that. This is my view of universal healthcare based on what I've heard and gathered. THIS is why I want to hear from people who have it, maybe I've only been hearing the negatives, maybe some of those aren't true in all cases, maybe there's another side, etc...

Someone's request for information so as not to remain in a state of partial ignorance is not offensive to anyone, and if you take it as that, I really don't know what to say to you. I'm not an offensive person. I'm a caring person who is concerned.... Not just about me, but everyone in this country who would be affected by a decision like that. So forgive me for having that concern. I'm not a fan of apathy.

Maybe I will try posting in the other area, maybe they will be more understanding than some of the people here.

I don't really understand people's oversensitivity to things. So what, someone feels differently than you? If you want people to respect your opinion, you need to respect others. So even though this is NOT regarding the election, it doesn't matter... It's a generalized concept. If it were regarding the election, it shouldn't matter. I'm not bashing anyone, I'm asking questions. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting to be informed. NOTHING. If anything, it is RESPECTABLE and MATURE and RESPONSIBLE. I would totally commend another person who wanted more information before forming their final opinion on a topic, instead of just choosing to decide with half the information out there.

This isn't me getting upset, so don't misconstrue what I'm saying. I'm not being sensitive at all, I'm trying to explain this in a way people will understand, because apparently I didn't do that well enough to begin with. For the record, again, this is in response to something someone brought to my attention this morning, in a generalized situation, NOT regarding the election. So if you're offended for some odd reason, please just don't reply. I'm only asking for the HELP from those who CAN help me to have a good idea of the TRUTH.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and decides that they can offer me some of their personal views and experiences on this topic. I appreciate it much.
  • I am not sensitive and I agree that people should be well informed.On S~H the mods and admin do not permit religion or political issues to discussed as there are going to be people who will be offended...but as you are not discussing either,and I already apologized in a previous post,please feel free to carry on.

• Universal healthcare is you pay at income tax time $300.-600. depending on your income. If you have no income your healthcare is free. Every hospital you just show your card and you're covered for everything as a canadian citizen or landed. If you have insurance through your work, you can get semi private bed coverage and also covers eye exams for glasses. You have to pay for eye exams about 90 dollars. Unless you're on disability and this service is free. Everyone is treated equal and you can go to a walk in clinic and it's free. But of course you'd be covered because you pay at income tax time like I stated earlier. Extra expenses for cosmetic surgery is not covered by healthcare of course. You can look around to several hospitals to do your MRI. I got an appointment the next week at 3 am. Other hospitals you wait longer. Did that help your research? the movie "Sicko" is excellent to explain the health care system. Excellent movie by Michael Moore! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Lo

I live in the UK and have plenty to say on this matter. However I don't want to cause upset to anyone on here so if you have an email address I could email away from this site. Just an idea.

Its a very interesting question, and I think it will open up a good debate. For example we dont have to pay for our health care, however we have long waiting lists. Whereas, you have short waiting lists, can choose your hospital etc (that's coming in over here apparently, all beit slowly), whereas you have to pay for everything and how do you cope with that on a low income etc. What happens if your elderly and you need expensive heart surgery or something, how does the bill get covered? Thats something we think about in this country.

Take care
    All the best
    Danni x
  • Thanks! It does help. That is all very interesting information. I appreciate it.
  • It's Lo419@aol.com

That is what I've heard basically. Longer waiting lists and what not.

Elderly here generally get Medicaid... Which is either low cost or free. I'm a single mother and live on my own, so I get Masshealth... I don't even have a co-pay for anything except prescriptions, and then it's only 1 dollar. So all my surgeries, 2 back surgeries, and c-section, I didn't pay a dime. It's a lifesaver.

There are unfortunately some people without insurance and it sucks :( My boyfriend being one of them. But thankfully they have come up with some alternatives... Like state healthcare that you pay for, but at a lower price private healthcare.

That's kind of ironic that it's a possibility of Universal Healthcare being instated in the U.S., and private health care being instated in the UK. Haha.

• Hi Lo I live in the United Kingdom and Have a Ba Hons in health care studies that was based upon the in depth study of the National Health Service that operates here. Essentialy it means that with some minor exceptions all UK citizens recieve primary ,secondary and emergency health care free at the point of contact.

The inception of the NHS was in 1948 and is funded from national insurance contibutions. If you would like me to provide you with more academic peer reviewed information regarding the pros and cons of universal coverage feel free to contact me.

As mentioned in a previous post Michael Moores film "Sicko" does give a good overview of universal coverage world wide but it could be argued that it is a somewhat biased approach to the topic.

My own personal opinion of Universal Coverage is that as a healthcare professional with 22 years service it is an imperfect system with room for improvement, yet it does remove the anxiety that people may feel if faced with having to fund their own healthcare.

I hope that helps you.
    Best wishes
    Dawniee
  • Thanks!!! That does help a lot. I would love more information, please! :)

Michael Moore's videos are generally too biased for my taste, so I tend to avoid anything from him... I'd rather hear it from people who have experienced it, like you and the others on this board.

That is a lot of good information. It seems Universal Healthcare isn't exactly as Universal as I thought. I was under the impression it was a generalized system, and the same thing everywhere. But apparently not. That's good to know.

I think that's a great way of putting it. I think it has the potential to be a great thing, if executed correctly. It's too bad that it seems both Universal and Private healthcare systems are somewhat flawed. It would be nice to find a happy medium, but then again, that's how it is with nearly everything in life, huh?

Thank you again. It is very, very much appreciated! :)
  • I went to the emergency room in Paris at 2am with 2 herniated disc in my neck and pain like you would not believe, my boyfriend had to navigate the language part as no one spoke english. We were there for 8 hours. Three doctors came at various times, I was given morphine 3-4 times during the course of the 8 hours, nurses in and out, vitals checked etc. Well cared for. Positive experience. Bill was 44 euros. About $70.

As a visitor to that country, I was floored. Socialized medicine.
  • That is awesome. Really good to know. 70 bucks isn't bad! Costs more here for most people, even just their insurance co-pay!
  • Hi dannik

You asked: What happens if your elderly and you need expensive heart surgery or something, how does the bill get covered?

Where I live many of the indigent people show up at the emergency room for their treatment.

Here’s a real example:

A 58 year old lady friend of the family broke her hip. She is a widow with 2 kids and makes $200 a week working at the video store. She goes to the emergency room at the hospital. She has no insurance but promises to pay the bills. The hospital can not turn her away. The Ortho Dr on call operates and a couple of days later she goes home. She gets bills form both the Dr and the hospital. The Dr finally gives up chasing her and the billing stops. The hospital ends up selling the bill to a collection agency and they are still chasing her.

She has no limp. She has no money to pay the hospital bill and her rent. She is considering claiming bankruptcy if she can save up enough money.

Interesting topic for debate.

Harry
  • Another aspect of the UK system is that people can pay private health insurance and recieve their care in a private hospital.

They rarely have to wait longer than a week for surgery. A lot of folk view this as unfair accusing these people of jumping to the head of the waiting list. However on the other hand they are paying twice, they pay insurance to the state and to the private firm.

I am waiting for surgery, hopefully before Christmas, I am of the opinion that if they go private they are leaving a place in the NHS budget for someone else to use.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    This topic is fine here. If it does start to create a battle about which is better, than we will have to step in.
    This topic has been discussed dozens of times over the past two years.

Not to simplify it but:

In USA: Everyone is eligible for health care, no one can be turned away. Take for instance a 99 year old man, who has tons of medical problems ranging from spinal to Alzheimer and is in the need of a new heart. Here more than likely the surgery would be performed. We tend to try to preserve life and at times forget about age and what quality of life is all about.

In other countries (I am not signaling out any country, but these are facts from several countries)
    Surgeries are approved at the patient level. So, in this environment the 99 year grandfather who has all sorts of medical problems is NOT going to be approved for a new heart. But a 25 year old strong male or female with some medical problems would be a better candidate.

Lo, take that is a lead in. There is a lot of information about this on many web sites.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement