Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any advice for Psych Eval for SSD?

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have my Psychological Evaluation for SSD scheduled for Nov 10th. Anyone know what I can expect? What to bring.... Any advice? I also have my Physical Exam on Nov 25th.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! this is a BIG appointment. <:P you are going to go see one of their doctors so being prepared will put you as far ahead of the game s you can be. i have one tip first and that is, "don't go there looking to good." not alot of mskeup, not s great hairdo, not your best clothes!!! it dosn't correlate well with SSD if you can look on top of the world and need your disability. don't sleep alot the night before. i think that is something that is overlooked. i don't want you to be phony. just present yourself how you might look on a bad pain day. that is what you are there for!! anyway, hope tht helps!! Jenny :)
  • Do I tell them I cry every morning now getting up for work? Thinking, how will I get thru this day? I had chest pains this morning. It was really scarey. My pain is out of control
  • :) dmoonchild, you might write down how you are feeling on a calender and keep a record or your pain and your mental outlook. ~X( that is what your psy. evaluation is about. you have to start thinking along those lines. anything happening to you such as crying, depression or sleeping all the time, stuff like that, you need to put down. but always be honest. it sounds like you have alot to talk to him about. Jenny :)
  • Paul and Jenny are right. First and Foremost is to be honest. These doctors can smell a phony from a block away.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

The medical reports I had read while I worked for the disability office start off with your appearance. That is standard for any physician whether it be for SSA or their own private practice. They observe things like fingernails (whether they look ragged or are perfectly manicured) your hair (don't go in with bed head... at least try to comb it down :))( ) and don't wear dirty clothes from last week. If you don't care whether your shirt goes with your shoes, that's okay. At least that's how I feel on my bad days.... If you come in all decked "down" but have a sunny disposition while talking about your children or grand children, they will know something is up. Lastly, don't exaggerate any of your symptoms in the hope of making them understand how poorly you really feel on a daily basis. They will be able to tell, and are obligated to make a note of that in their report.

WHAT TO DO:
    As stated, be honest. If you are nervous, say so. If you just happen to be having a good day/morning/afternoon/hour, you can relay this and say something along the lines of "My bad days happen more often than the good ones" or "I may seem chipper now, but this could change for the smallest thing" (I run out of stamps for my bills, I miss a green light or if my husband says something the wrong way - not exactly like that, but you know what I mean). If you wake up in the mornings crying and wondering just how you are going to get through the day, by all means, share this information with him. If your medication makes you loopy and unable to concentrate, tell him that. If your pain is all you can seem to focus on, tell him that too. I used to suggest to my claimants to make a list of things you wanted to be sure to tell the doctor. Chances are that everything will be covered anyway just with general conversation, but if there's something you want to remember to not forget, a list is the way to go.

First and foremost though (sorry for repeating this so much, but I am only trying to stress this point), is to be honest and forthcoming. These doctors know how to observe without you even realizing it. And if you get caught being anything but honest, your claim could be denied. You won't go to prison or anything as drastic as that (unless you are approved and get all those millions of dollars =P~ and they find out you lied....), but a denial could be just as bad. It's like your "permanent record" you heard so much about in school. It will follow you from here on out (well, as far as any disability claims go....)

Also, any medical information that SSA has (with regard to your mental state), or forms you filled out (like that daily activity form) should have been sent to the doctor you are going to see. So, if this doctor doesn't spend a whole lot of time "getting to know you; getting to know all about you" don't be alarmed. And finally, this doctor does not work for SSA. Or you. He simply agreed to do evaluations at the State rate (which is not as much as he would charge insurance companies or Joe the Plumber). It's less money, but he knows he will get paid. He will not make the decision to approve or deny your claim. That is up to the disability examiner. The disability examiner will not base the decision of your claim on this report alone (unless there is a question as to your sincerity). So if you feel you didn't do all that great, don't worry.

Good luck DMOONCHILD! Be sure and post us after your appointment and let us know how things went for you.

Jeaux
    :B
  • Thanks everyone, Im getting a little nervous. My husband, the kids and I went for a ride to the hospital where I go tomorrow just so I dont get lost. Ive also been in bed all weekend because of the pain. It felt good to get out of the house for a bit. Again, thanks for all of the tips. Ill post tomorrow after.
  • Just a snippet.

When they ask you questions,be very very honest...open up.It will be hard,but in an earlier post you asked if you should tell them if you cry every day when getting ready for work.Tell them anything they ASK,and ADD to it your own feelings.

When I moved here to NC from PA I had to go to one of 'their' Drs(in 2002) to see if I qualified in this state(weird I know,but true),anyway,at the Drs office during the intake the nurse was asking me about my shopping hobbies.Going to the mall and things like that.I had not given any thought to this question,and certainly never expected it,but when telling her that I don't go to the mall because that's too much walking..I just go into stores get what I need and leave..I actually broke down.[actually I'm tearing up again-lol).I never take the time to..well I try not to think about how I feel about not doing the things I'd like to do,and that one question made me realize how far I had gone from my old self.Oh,did it hurt.

The Dr was really nice~I wonder if the nurse told him I was a bawl baby *lol*.Needless to say I qualified.I wouldn't say that makes me happy,more like relived.But the Dr did not qualify me..he would only have sent along his 'findings' to the SS and whoever examines your claim.None of them,SS,Drs,etc.,take any personal time to get to know you as your current PCP or GP,and other DRS do.It feels rather IMpersonal,or did to me.I left the SS Dr feeling confused and knowing nothing.I recieved a letter in the mail later stating I was still qualified in NC.

My initial SS experience was in PA back in 95 and I was approved in the spring of 96 with monies paid to me retroactively.

Good Luck!!!

• Good Grief! I cried! The eval was very fast. Im surprised. Im having a very bad day today pain is at 9. I cannot believe Im in work. Anyway. When the evaluator started to ask all the "signes of depression" questions, I answered Yes to every single one except for the one Do you feel like killing yourself. I started crying like a baby. It was a long walk to her offcie and I was in so much pain. I hope That doesnt effect me negativly. I was very truthful.
  • what kind of questions they asked you. I have an appointment on Thursday for my eval and just want to know what Iam up against, I would appreciate your help, Iam a nervous wreck...
    Also, Iam so sorry your having to go through this, I know it is all so very hard.
    Thank You,
    Jeanette
  • Hi Jeanette, Dont be nervous at all. I sat down and she asked the basic name...where I was born..brother sisters...Mom & Dad. Then she asked questions about history and asked me to remember some things for me to repeat at the end of the interview. She then went thru the "depression checklist" Im sure youve seen them before....loss of interest in activities...tiered all the time...feeling hopeless. She then asked me to coust backwards by 3's from 100. I totally failed that. It lasted maybe 5-10 min thats it. When I left she suggested I see a clinical Phycologist for Chronic pain therapy. I dont know if that was a good sign or not. Good luck to you, let us know how you make out.
  • I understand the emotions involved.Even now,all these years later I can remember the second it hit me..because for me I really believe it was the first time I faced my changes,and it hurt more answering to a stranger.

The Phycologist for Chronic pain therapy will help you deal with those changes.If by good sign you mean your chances of getting the SS would be better..I would thing that they would be,(can never be sure)but you can expect that to be tough as well in it's own way.

I wish you the best :)))
  • Robin, you hit the nail on the head. I think I realized how messed up I really am. WOW. I'm really a complete MESS!!!!!!!! Maybe soon Ill start to come to terms with this.
  • DMoonChild:

I know how you feel about "coming to terms" with this whole mess. I thought I had, but my PM said no, and then told me why. She said that I am still trying to be in control - refusing to back down and determined to call all the shots (rather than letting my pain dictate to me what I will or will not be doing).

She said I am not in denial so much as I am in "refusal". She cracks me up sometimes!

At any rate, your mental status evaluation will mainly consist of the psych engaging you in conversation. He/She has a checklist of things SSA needs in order to evaluate your claim. He/She will check off those that apply, and then incorporate that information into a report of your visit. I have a link that will show you what things they are looking for, but I think it best if you go in "blind". That way you will not appear to be "prepared" thereby coming across as sincere and not "coached".

I would not stress over the visit too much. My gosh - you have enough on your plate as it is. It's okay to tell the psych you are nervous about the visit (my guess is that you aren't sure if you can convey the seriousness of your impairment in one short visit). I am sure you will be fine as long as you are honest, sincere, and above all, just yourself.

Let us know how it went, okay?

Jeaux
    :B
advertisement