Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have an appt with pain mgt dr.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain

I did get an appointment to see a pain management dr. on 11/10 .....wow, hows that for quick,fast and in a hurry? I just don't know what to expect. I certainly do not want to see him on my first visit with with a list of all the treatments I've had so far, i.e.,tried physical therapy 3 times a week for 3 mons and it didn't work, can't walk for exercise because of the pain and I;m on a diet!

I'm allergic to Ultram, Darvocet works as well as tylenol and I hurt! Thus far, I have been prescribed lortab 10 by the referring neuro surgeon. It works for about 4 1/2 hours and then begins to wear off, but I still have to wait at least 1 1/2 to take my next dose (prescribed 6 or 8 hours). I guess I fear what many people do. I don't want to be seen as a rx seeker. I really don't want to add any more to my collection. I already take enough as it is. I'm bi-polar (thats an entirely different story). I take 2 rx for depression, 1 mood stabilizer and something to help me sleep at night. Adding to this collection is not what I want to do. I just need some kind of pain relief that will work. I can't do laundry(lifting),washing dishes(standing) or sit because of pain/numbness. The only thing I do is lay on a heating pad with it propped under my back! Oh well so much for my whining. I know there are others of you in much worse situations than I am. I just needed a sympathetic ear or computer monitor to lean on for a few minutes!

advertisement

Comments

• Hey there,

Good luck on finding the right balance. I hear you on the fact no one wants to add to their collection.

Make sure to bring dr up to speed on what you've tried, what worked that you had tried, what meds you currently on, etc.

Hiding anything could be dangerous.

• }:) Good luck. I have seen several pain docs over the years and have had varying degrees of luck with different procedures. It's definitely worth the try because you never know when something is going to work!! Be sure you give him your total history. And let us know how it works!!
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hello,and welcome to S~H :H

Yes,be honest with the PM..he/she will know everything anyway and if you tell him everything up front it will go a long way in establishing a trusting patient/Dr relationship-very important!

You don't want to waste a lot of time on your first visit telling him everything,but he will probably ask some questions.You could make a list of everything..meds,etc.,and ask him if he wants to see your list to save 'his' time..(lol) He may/may not be impressed.Probably best to see what he's like first,and hope that he is easy to get along with.

If you tell him that you take the lortab 10mg (he will know anyway) and that they are prescribed at 6-8 hrs,but start wearing off at 4&1/2..he may prescribe the same thing,but differently..say every four hours but no more than 6 a day.I'm only speculating,but normally PM's don't lower your medication..their purpose is to help you find a level of pain relief to make you more comfortable.That has been my experience.

My goal and hope when I first saw my PM (and he asked me) was to be at least a little more active,move more,lay around less..and have less pain.I felt that if I had less pain that I could be more active (within reason) and perhaps lose a few pounds.He thought that my request was reasonable and said that he was making that his goal with me as a patient :) ..I liked that.

I go to my PCP on the 18th and will be weighed then again,but so far I have lost about 12-14 pounds since last year.I know that's not a lot..but before that I was gaining every Dr visit and since then I've LOST every visit,which is 3 months.Also-I would probably lose more if I could stay away from my ice cream...with chocolate.....and nuts :S

Good luck & keep us posted ok?
  • I would write a list of procedures, meds, and everything plus questions before you go. If you don't fill out an info packet beforehand, you will need to do one there. So the list will make it easier. Plus as you talk to the PM you will have a list to help you remember things.

I hope the PM helps you!
  • I really do appreciate the info that you gave me. I think it will help me when I see the dr. I plan on taking a friend (who sees a different pm dr.) with me. Hopefully, between the two of us, we can ask all of the right questions. Last night, I did sit down and make a list of all the current meds. dosage, directions and prescribing dr. I don't want to leave anything out. My honesty about meds and prior treatment is the only way for this dr.to help me. Thanks again! :))) I helps to have support and ideas from others who know what its like.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.